MT-07 Exhaust Sound & Essential Mods

da1kini

Bike sounds bad ass with this exhaust , you have to hear it up close ,videos cannot show this .
Thank God you paid a lot less than me (900) ,so this is also a better investment .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice to here! But you have the laser engraved special edition of the system!

jeppebm

hear* ;)

Its different how some wants the logo on and others wants it off. Fx the DPM windscreen in black has those letters printed on and cannot be removed ... thats the reason i WONT buy them. I want my bike clean, not some weird writings on like random sponsortext

Noggie

hear* ;)

Its different how some wants the logo on and others wants it off. Fx the DPM windscreen in black has those letters printed on and cannot be removed ... thats the reason i WONT buy them. I want my bike clean, not some weird writings on like random sponsortext
You could always paint it, and just paint over the logo, that way it will hardly be visible.
I am thinking about this screen, and I might paint it or vinyl wrap it gloss black, since my bike is red I was also thinking about taking a brush and put some color matched red paint on the logo.

Simon

The sun tempted me out for a ride after a few months hiding from winter. This was followed by the feeble exhaust note inspiring me to just press the buy button on the SC Project website. The GBP-Euro exchange rate is pretty good right now so be rude not to really!

KEVINJSTANLEY

Let me ask a question for all those who have the exhaust Mod and the like me the wannabies.

having trawled u tube, I have listened to and looked at the following pipes.
IXIL TWIN EXIT
AKRA ..TIT AND CARBON
YOSHI
SKORPION
ARROW

SOUND PREFERENCE....... LOOKS
1ST IXIL ........ AKRA
2ND AKRA .......... LEO
2ND SCORPION .......... IXIL
3RD YOSHI ....... SCORPION
4TH LEO ......... YOSHI
5TH ARROW ......... ARROW

Now for the bit that makes me undecided, we all know that brand snobbery happens and you can't get much better exhaust brand than a Akrapovic, if I came to resell any bike having a Akra pipe does add value [ in my mind] and I do like the way it sits on the MT07, however is the cost justified.
The leo also looks good , but the sound vids I have seen do exactly float my boat, don't get me wrong it is a improvement on standard.
The IXIL sound sweet I really like the way it talks to you both on the move and at idle, the looks are different and I do like that also .
the scorpion sounds great really good, but I am unsure of it's looks.

the other two I have discounted.

the Akra is what £600 to 700+ depending if you buy in Italy or the UK
the leo around £500
Scorpion £550
Leo £ 460

Ideally I suppose I would go with kerb appeal and snobbery and choose the titanium AKRA but the cost is pissing me off
the LEO also has the above but not the sound I want and is a good sub £500
IXIL does not in my mind have the brand snobbery but sound fantastic and looks good if not a little different
SCORPION sounds great, price not bad but has a ]lifetime warranty

your thoughts gents as I am at a loss

roll on 1st of March

Last edited:

jeppebm

IXIL - ALMOST half the price of the akra - and the looks makes the choice soo much easier - and you know that soundtrack from my video among others... they all sound better than stock - so in that case the sound-side is going to get better nomatter what.

So i can only see it being a matter of looks :) = IXIL

KEVINJSTANLEY

Hi Gents
thanks for the reply Stil and Jepp, the IXIL is a great sounding pipe as shown on your vid and I was very close to making it my choice, the SC is a nice looking pipe also.
However following a chat with the dealers, they offered me the Akra Yamaha official version for £790 plus if needed fitting . following negotiations I have gone with the Akra , I have managed all be it a small victory to get the price down to £700 with Fitting and more importantly the engine mapped for the exhaust with no db killer fitted.
the price for the pipe to be fair I still feel is dear compared with alternatives and especially the IXIL, however the snobbery played it's part, but also the guarantee that this addition would not effect the warranty should the very unlikely engine failure occur.
we make decisions we live with and in this instance I was able to pay the extra for the overpriced Akra and I am sure I will be as happy as you all are with your own choices.
so on the 1st of March I will receive my Moto Cage with R&G Tail tidy, yam LED's and the Akra, and I can't wait...it's a shame you have to run the engine in :)

loneranger

you mention engine mapping? my dealer said it is not possible on 07. Can anyone detail this as I've had mine now for 11 months now. so not sure I'm missing something here

jeppebm

you mention engine mapping? my dealer said it is not possible on 07. Can anyone detail this as I've had mine now for 11 months now. so not sure I'm missing something here
Its not possible? :) haha thats a joke. It very much is and has been done. Ive had it done to mine.

I can show you my Dynojet info after fitting IXIL exhaust

Nuggets

'
Hi Gents
thanks for the reply Stil and Jepp, the IXIL is a great sounding pipe as shown on your vid and I was very close to making it my choice, the SC is a nice looking pipe also.
However following a chat with the dealers, they offered me the Akra Yamaha official version for £790 plus if needed fitting . following negotiations I have gone with the Akra , I have managed all be it a small victory to get the price down to £700 with Fitting and more importantly the engine mapped for the exhaust with no db killer fitted.
the price for the pipe to be fair I still feel is dear compared with alternatives and especially the IXIL, however the snobbery played it's part, but also the guarantee that this addition would not effect the warranty should the very unlikely engine failure occur.
we make decisions we live with and in this instance I was able to pay the extra for the overpriced Akra and I am sure I will be as happy as you all are with your own choices.
so on the 1st of March I will receive my Moto Cage with R&G Tail tidy, yam LED's and the Akra, and I can't wait...it's a shame you have to run the engine in :)
I chose the Akra because it was the best engineered solution which actually looked like it should be fitted to the bike, personal preference I know, but some of the other exhausts look a little more like an agricultural bolt on, the IXIL is certainly the best looking alternative so far.

I wouldn't necessarily class it as snobbery because a person may elect to pay more for engineering and quality of fit and finish, like everything in life you gets what you pay for, there's probably a reason the Akra costs more (apart from the name) it's a bespoke pipe/muffler suited to that bike, the other exhausts on offer could probably also be adapted to fit other models at much lower costs, when you consider this I'm not sure you should feel quite so aggrieved about the difference in cost compare to other makers of exhausts.

Magsz18

Its not possible? :) haha thats a joke. It very much is and has been done. Ive had it done to mine.

I can show you my Dynojet info after fitting IXIL exhaust
Id like to see that!!!!

I keep hearing about power loss after installing aftermarket exhausts with no fuel controller. Especially when you dont have the DB killers in so im wondering how bad my bike is suffering with the IXIL exhaust that i have on it right now.

KEVINJSTANLEY

it is interesting the conversation about the mapping, I am no expert but if you get your engine to breath more without obvious obstructions then surely it makes sense that fuel air ratio needs to be changed, it may be only a very slight change but one that was offered to me, and with the advice from Bill smiths in Chester that it should be done.
I was however following advice read on this site that the Mapping should be done in the state I wanted the exhaust, ie I will get the Akra without the db fiited. so the mapping will be done in that state.

As Nuggetts states the Akra does appear to be engineered specifically with this bike in mind and it is made very well as you would expect from a £700 quid pipe, I am lucky this time that I have the funds to buy what appears to me the best you can get, however having many bikes in my time an exhaust can be as cheap as you like as long as you are happy with your choice.

with regards to pipes, the air filter question is also perhaps worth looking at, as this in conjunction with a free breathing pipe would benefit the bike certainly as u tube shows a dyno run increase mid range on a MT 07

your thoughts gents

kev

ps if any one is around the n west UK, I am keen to meet up and chew the fat and lay the rubber down :)

KEVINJSTANLEY

hi lone ranger
Bill Smiths of Chester offered this service due to the Akra being fitted their number if you fancy asking the question is 01244 323845

da1kini

No need to remap with the akrapovic titanium version cause it is built for the bike in the first place. Only time you would consider a remapping is if you remove both cat and DB-killer cause of the air flow. But even if you do that there is really no need unless you se some changes in your pipes colors. I think bright blu means your running lean, with not enough fuel...or maybe the other way around :)

Anyway, no need for remapping if you fit it as you should(cat in and DB on)...at least thats what Ive been told by my mechanic.

Nuggets

I don't think the ECU has the scope to be modified too much (or maybe the bike is just too new still?) There is a chap who has invested in a PCV and dyno run his MT-07 (stage 2 kit + custom map) the net result is no improvement in top end power but a smoothing of torque - so this would suggest chasing horses by playing with the mapping will leave you disappointed as there isn't the scope in the engine to develop more peak power, the engine has been topped out.

From all the reading I have done, the only time you would need to invest in a PCV is because you are chasing out the very most from the engine or because you have added a stage 2 filter and taken the ECU out of it's comfort zone to control the AFR.

Mine run's without the cat (never had it) and DB killer - I also run a DNA filter (stage 1 only) and certainty notice the difference in roll on acceleration through the rev range.

I've pulled the spark plugs and no sign of lean running or any other issues talked about, don't believe the myth about modifying the ECU after fitting an aftermarket exhaust - speaking to the Yamaha tech they don't need to fiddle with the ECU for the akra or change to a stage 1 filter because the mod's are just not dramatic enough, now if you fit a stage 2 filter that is entirely different as you are leaning out the AFR too much for the ECU to handle and it will run lean (hence the need for a PCV)

[video=youtube;gGelXHY_Jtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGelXHY_Jtw[/video]

Last edited: