Is the MT-07 really like a modern day RD 400 (1976-1978) or RD 350 (1980-82)?

William

:) I thought I would ask MT-07 owners if the MT-07 is really like a modern day RD 400 or RD 350?
Being a 2007 ER-6F owner I think the MT-07 is the bike for me if it is like those bikes I described
because I had a 1977 Yamaha RD 400, and that was and still is my favorite bike. I'm concerned
though about rust issues I've read about on the MT-07. Is it only because some owners
ride their bikes in the winter?

Thank you for your comments and answers.

sdrio

Yeah, I can sort of see the logic. I had both 250 and 350 lc's when I was a teenager, and although I scoffed at the idea at first, the MT07 does have a lot in common with them.

It's mainly the grin factor. In many ways both bikes are cheaply made and not particularly fast if you compare them to their single purposed superbike contemporaries, but they are both great fun to thrash, light and easy to ride and accessible to younger riders.

The MT07 is today's bike of choice for the discerning hooligan, as were the Elsies in the 1980s.

Donut

I cannot compare to an RD400, as I didn't have one but I did have an RD350LC that was proddy race tuned.

The MT-07 is a cracking bike (I have one) BUT I'd say that for hooligan comparison I'd say that the MT-09 (I have one of these too) is more similar to the RD350LC.

I enjoy riding both and people under-estimate the "little brother" 07 but it's not far behind the 09 on the road unless you're really making progress - in which case the extra capacity and cylinder of the 09 make themselves known.

lcman

I currently own 1 x 250LC and 2 x 350LC and a MT07 and I use them all, and as far as I am concerned the MT07 is indeed a modern day LC.

William

I currently own 1 x 250LC and 2 x 350LC and a MT07 and I use them all, and as far as I am concerned the MT07 is indeed a modern day LC.
I would dearly love to have a Yamaha 350LC. Could you still use your 350LC as daily runners? I notice in England there's lots of mint RDs,
350LCs there. You never see them here where I live, just junkers really.

craigieboy

:) I thought I would ask MT-07 owners if the MT-07 is really like a modern day RD 400 or RD 350?
Being a 2007 ER-6F owner I think the MT-07 is the bike for me if it is like those bikes I described
because I had a 1977 Yamaha RD 400, and that was and still is my favorite bike. I'm concerned
though about rust issues
I've read about on the MT-07. Is it only because some owners
ride their bikes in the winter?

Thank you for your comments and answers.
Could be, I rode through my first winter of ownership but not this past winter, I've covered roughly 7000 miles now and don't have any signs of rust.

Ralph

I never had the RD's did ride the YDS 3 and 5 though, anyway the first thing a mate that did have
them said after riding my 07 was just that. I think people do ride the 07 in winter more as it's so
light and easy to ride not to speak of being a less expensive bike so your maybe not as worried
about it. It does feel very like my 40 year old Morini 350 to ride though the 07 is faster the Morini is more
comfy they both give about the same power per CC but the 07 as about twice the CC's

spencer

The only thing the 07 is missing is the two stroke noise and smell. Really miss that LC350 micro sounding crackle and the smell of Castrol R. The rust is a problem if you ride in winter my MT07 had its first birthday yesterday and thing are starting to rust :( swing arm again its on its seconded one/shock/frame/water pipes/break line brackets/mirrors arms, and this is a bike that gets washed and ACF50 every week over winter and is well looked after in everyway because its my workhorse. Its a real shame because its a really great bike.

Ralph

Some are better than others but bikes in general are not built to withstand winter use,
if a car had the same problems there would be a outcry, drivers just would not put up
with it,

sdrio

The only thing the 07 is missing is the two stroke noise and smell. Really miss that LC350 micro sounding crackle and the smell of Castrol R. The rust is a problem if you ride in winter my MT07 had its first birthday yesterday and thing are starting to rust :( swing arm again its on its seconded one/shock/frame/water pipes/break line brackets/mirrors arms, and this is a bike that gets washed and ACF50 every week over winter and is well looked after in everyway because its my workhorse. Its a real shame because its a really great bike.
Goes against the grain, but you could try not washing it so often. ACF50 is actually supposed to be put on a dry clean bike and left there. Idea being you do a really good clean, and a really good covering of the stuff, rather than the superficial attention you'll give it if you do it frequently.

I do mine every couple of weeks, sometimes a bit longer if I don't have the time. I have a few spots of corrosion here and there - bar ends and front discs around the bolts, and the water pipes but for an almost 2 year old bike that has gone through 2 winters, mine has stayed pretty clean.

spencer

Goes against the grain, but you could try not washing it so often. ACF50 is actually supposed to be put on a dry clean bike and left there. Idea being you do a really good clean, and a really good covering of the stuff, rather than the superficial attention you'll give it if you do it frequently.

I do mine every couple of weeks, sometimes a bit longer if I don't have the time. I have a few spots of corrosion here and there - bar ends and front discs around the bolts, and the water pipes but for an almost 2 year old bike that has gone through 2 winters, mine has stayed pretty clean.
maybe I am but can you wash a bike to much? I wash on a sat leave to dry tell Sunday I apply the ACF50 by spraying on to a cloth and wiping every ware its needed. I think its a Friday afternoon bike lol. It needs to be washed lol its up and down the motorway every day and it rotten by the end of the week well by Monday morning anyway lol.

Ralph

My last bike a Suzuki turned into a ball of fur after a winter ride then
being put away for 2 days without cleaning. so I tend to clean them off
after every ride but it as not stopped the mirror stalk paint starting to lift.
roll on spring or even just a few dry days would do getting cabin fever.

sdrio

maybe I am but can you wash a bike to much? I wash on a sat leave to dry tell Sunday I apply the ACF50 by spraying on to a cloth and wiping every ware its needed. I think its a Friday afternoon bike lol. It needs to be washed lol its up and down the motorway every day and it rotten by the end of the week well by Monday morning anyway lol.
I'm not criticising, I like a spic and span bike too, my only doubt is that my understanding of ACF50 was that it's most effective if you actually plaster it on in October, and don't wash the bike till March - that is to say let the crud stay on, the ACF50 is sitting between it and the bike so it will be protected.

My neighbour used to send his bike off at the end of each summer for it's service, and would have the workshop strip it right down, fairings and wheels off etc, and they'd do a very deep clean and cover in ACF50. He wouldn't wash it at all during the winter, and swore he never had any rust at all.

It's not something I'd do myself either, so I'm not practicing what I preach, and he drove his bike into a tree and killed himself about 3 years ago, so I can't guarantee he was that clever, but it's possible somewhere between the two there's the correct way.

For sure if you're getting such extensive rust problems, more than anyone else I have heard about, it's possible the ACF50 isn't doing it's job.

spencer

I don't know what to do for the best :confused: maybe I'm not letting ACF50 do its job properly. but surly reapplying after each wash should be ok? or is it just the bike that hates the rain salt and ice :D

DJP

I owned four YPVS models back in the day and I'd say that the comparison is valid.

They both occupy the cheap, fun bike slot in the range – light weight, quick (ish) and the best bang for your buck.

DJP

Some are better than others but bikes in general are not built to withstand winter use, if a car had the same problems there would be a outcry, drivers just would not put up
with it,
That's a common view, but I have to take issue with it.

The same fasteners and other bits rust on cars, but they're out of sight underneath. (Try working on 10 year old car suspension components and you'll see what I mean).

But with cars, you only notice when the body work starts rusting.

On a bike all those chassis bits are there for all to see, so it looks a sight worse than it is.

However, structural rust is relatively rare on bikes.

Ralph

That's a common view, but I have to take issue with it.

The same fasteners and other bits rust on cars, but they're out of sight underneath. (Try working on 10 year old car suspension components and you'll see what I mean).

But with cars, you only notice when the body work starts rusting.

On a bike all those chassis bits are there for all to see, so it looks a sight worse than it is.

However, structural rust is relatively rare on bikes.
Lots of car suspensions about that have never been even looked at let alone cleaned, driven every day
average 10,000 miles a year so 100,000 on the clock, wile I have seen the odd bike with mega miles
one 400 Honda had 240000 miles engine never touched but all the paint worn off, but they stand out
as they are very rare. Sorry not convinced.

sdrio

I don't know what to do for the best :confused: maybe I'm not letting ACF50 do its job properly. but surly reapplying after each wash should be ok? or is it just the bike that hates the rain salt and ice :D
I suppose you have to narrow it down, it can't be many things;

If your bike is more prone to rust than others, either; 1. Your bike is not getting protected properly, or 2.It is being subjected to worse conditions than others.

On point 1 - if you're washing it well and letting it dry, questions would be;

- Are you putting enough rust protection on?
- Are you using something that is lessening the effect of the ACF50, or causing corrosion itself?

Possible candidates - aggressive jetwashing, using washing up liquid (which has salt, I was told this on this board) instead of car shampoo or similar. Not really letting it dry properly, and then leaving it in a plece where the moisture becomes trapped (under a tarp / in a damp garage?).

When you're wiping the ACF50 on, are you using enough, and does the cloth have any contaminants on it? ACF50 is usually sprayed or brushed on, then cleaned up with a cloth. It's cheap stuff, don't skimp on it.

Is your riding high speed, and in spray or similar? Following a truck on a rainy motorway is probably about the same as jetwashing the bike.

There are probably a million other possibilities, but it will boil down to one of the two possible causes.

There's no reason not to clean the bike as often as you like, and in theory the ACF50 should survive a certain amount of water being sploshed on it, but you certainly have to make sure it's on the bike.

spencer

I suppose you have to narrow it down, it can't be many things;

If your bike is more prone to rust than others, either; 1. Your bike is not getting protected properly, or 2.It is being subjected to worse conditions than others.

On point 1 - if you're washing it well and letting it dry, questions would be;

- Are you putting enough rust protection on?
- Are you using something that is lessening the effect of the ACF50, or causing corrosion itself?

Possible candidates - aggressive jetwashing, using washing up liquid (which has salt, I was told this on this board) instead of car shampoo or similar. Not really letting it dry properly, and then leaving it in a plece where the moisture becomes trapped (under a tarp / in a damp garage?).

When you're wiping the ACF50 on, are you using enough, and does the cloth have any contaminants on it? ACF50 is usually sprayed or brushed on, then cleaned up with a cloth. It's cheap stuff, don't skimp on it.

Is your riding high speed, and in spray or similar? Following a truck on a rainy motorway is probably about the same as jetwashing the bike.

There are probably a million other possibilities, but it will boil down to one of the two possible causes.

There's no reason not to clean the bike as often as you like, and in theory the ACF50 should survive a certain amount of water being sploshed on it, but you certainly have to make sure it's on the bike.
Jet down with jet wash not on full power wash with Autoglym car shampoo rinse off with hot water then shammy leave under car port over night to dry then spray ACF50 all over bike then wipe in with cotton cloth that's got ACF50 already on it. Boy this bike is pampered lolol glade I don't have a Mrs. I think it down to the 70 mile round trip on the motorway every day. You get behind a large van its like sitting in a car wash and the ACF50 is just getting washed away. Sorry William for hijacking your thread :(

sdrio

Jet down with jet wash not on full power wash with Autoglym car shampoo rinse off with hot water then shammy leave under car port over night to dry then spray ACF50 all over bike then wipe in with cotton cloth that's got ACF50 already on it. Boy this bike is pampered lolol glade I don't have a Mrs. I think it down to the 70 mile round trip on the motorway every day. You get behind a large van its like sitting in a car wash and the ACF50 is just getting washed away. Sorry William for hijacking your thread :(
Yeah, that's maybe what it is.

Only suggestion I have it to go a bit wilder with the acf50 - it will probably look a bit crappier if you put more on, but it's got to be better than a rusty bike. Like I said, mine goes on with the sprayer, then wiped with a cloth.