Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

AJ Nin

The Ninja 300 had stalling issues when the clutch was pulled in especially when the bike was still cold and especially going down a hill meaning the rpms were high, then dropped suddenly with the clutch pull. Kawa did a recall and replaced the 2013 ECUs. Stalling in traffic and a false start could get you rear-ended. I haven't noticed a problem with my new FZ-07 yet, but I owned 3 Ninja 300s and all three had the stalling issue, including a 2014 model although it wasn't as bad as with the 2 2013s.

AJ Nin

Testing...1,2,3. I just went for a 20-mile ride in 90+ F. sunny weather to check out 3 things: the clutch pull/stall issue, radiator cooling, and slow speed maneuvering. I did a lot of stopping and starting...quick stops, slow stops , high revs. low revs. All I noted was that you do need to give the bike a little throttle when taking off in 1st or it will die, but this is pretty common, partly depending on idle revs and my bike idles low, so no stall issue with my bike. Since I live in Texas which has brutally hot summers, I wanted to check out the cooling. I don't know when the radiator fan comes on, but my bike got up to 220 F waiting at a long traffic light in 92 F, sunny weather and the fan hadn't come on yet. Running temp seems to be about 178 F. Cooling...check. Slow speed maneuvering is just so-so. I think the bike is a bit top heavy compared to other bikes I've had plus the throttle is a bit twitchy in 1st and 2nd, so slow speed maneuvering...in parking lots, gas stations, etc. may present a problem for new riders. Still OK, unless this is your first bike....then something like hitting the front brake with the handlebars turned at very slow speed (or a stall from not giving it gas on take off) might be enough to cause you to drop it. It's just not as forgiving as smaller, lighter bikes with less torque, especially for shorter people. It promises to be a good bike for me.

Last edited:

widget2k4

is everyone's bike that's cutting out still standard ?
my dealer made me take off my after market clutch lever as Yamaha said it was that causing the problem, but it wasn't as it did it before i changed them, anyway they wouldn't listen and i had to change it back before they plugged this box in, and now done 250 miles and not cut out once ? coincidence or what ?

AJ Nin

I need to read these posts more carefully. I missed the part where the problem occurs when you hold the clutch in for a long time. I really never do that. I sit in N until the light turns green, so I set out to try squeezing the clutch at a long light and guess what...yes it did stall or nearly stalled...even before I set out so there is something going on. My engine coolant T was about 212 F when it stalled but the revs were really low. It does seem mighty weird that holding the clutch in a while has anything to do with the engine stalling, but it does seem to be the case. I feel a recall coming on. Probably will be a while though.

AJ Nin

My FZ-07 took a long time to start and several attempts after I filled up at the gas station tonight. I notice it doesn't start immediately like most FI bikes do also. I just have 75 miles on my bike and have experienced the stall twice exactly as described...bike warm and sitting in traffic. Thing is, I live in Texas where it is going to be hot for the next 3 months. Comeone Yamaha, get this fixed. I also mailed them.

AJ Nin

This is a copy of the letter I just sent to Yamaha. I have no confidence that my local dealer can sort this out until Yamaha has the fix. They have sold exactly one of FZ-07...mine. Of course if anyone does come up with a fix either on their own or from a dealer, be sure to let us know, but I think this is going to be a recall with new software or perhaps even a new ecu. The good news is that it isn't something Yamaha can ignore since it is a safety issue. Stalling is a major recall problem in motorcycles. Please write to them yourself though if you are having a problem just to be sure they know the extent of the problem. Thanks, AJ Nin

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Ave.
Cypress, CA 90630 June 28, 2014

I am writing to report a safety issue with your new motorcycle, the FZ-07. I just picked up the new motorcycle yesterday and now have 70 miles on it.
Here is the problem: When the bike is warm and you are stopped at a traffic light, the revs seem to be very low and the bike will die. It then is difficult to restart. When stopping to re-fuel, the bike is also difficult to re-start and took me 4 attempts before it started at my first re-fueling today.
There are a number of similar complaints with the bike stalling described on the Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07 Forum on the internet. I am AJ Nin on that forum. The bike stalling is the main issue on that forum.
A false start from a traffic light due to the engine stalling along with a dead bike that is difficult to re-start while stuck in traffic is a formula for potential safety problems.
Hopefully, you have a fix for this problem soon.

towner87

Is any one asking if they are all the first batch they produced? Is there any connection with the bikes this is happening to? Serial numbers ect... Any one with a fresh (in the country) bike having issues as these will be second or third batches off the line? More data needs to be collected and presented to Yamaha before they will even look into this. Cold hard data is a winner! Fingers crossed for a fix to the guys having issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ Nin

My vin no is JYARM06E4FA000077 which I think means mine was the 77th bike off the assembly line. How many assembly lines or factories make the bike is another question, and I think many of the MT-07s were built earlier, presumably with very similar parts. I think it is safe to say Yamaha has know of this issue for several months.

sdrio

OK, Yamaha, let's look at this. Here's a rundown on negligence.

1. Do you owe someone a duty of care? Or more specifically, can it be reasonably expected that any failure on your part to ensure that the goods / services provided by you are fit for the purpose you are supplying them for, could lead to damage and/or injury?

Well, clearly so. As a buyer, I don't have a contract with Yamaha, but negligence is a claim in tort, not one under a contract. I have a contract with the dealer, but Yamaha provide motorcycles that are to be used on public roads. It is clear that any failure to ensure these motorcycles are safe could lead to damage or injury.

Add the fact Yamaha have now been told of the problem, and we're pretty watertight on that.

2. Has there been a breach of that duty.

Yes. There is a fault, it is potentially dangerous, and Yamaha have been made aware of that fault. There are various reports of the fault, video evidence of the fault, all of which is publicly available and has been sent to Yamaha. I know this, I did it myself.

3. Did damage or injury result due to that breach of duty?

No, not yet. Not to me, anyway. So far nothing has driven into the back of me when the bike dies at a junction, and I have not dropped the bike when it splutters and/or cuts out completely when pulling away.

Only two of the three tests for negligence apply so far. Let's hope none of us have to get acquainted with the underside of a bus for someone to start looking at the problem seriously.

Fun this, isn't it? This is not legal advice of any kind, by the way. Just my own ramblings. I realise I'm starting to sound like some vexatious idiot with a persecution complex, but it's not really like that. I'm just a bit annoyed. I think the bike is great, but this fault is a big cloud that kind of spoils it.

Gr8stdane

I just bought the FZ07 yesterday, last digits of the vin is 148. Only had 3 miles on it. On my 30 minute test drive it it died on me 4-5 times, but never at a stop light. It died when coming up to a turn and I'd pull in the clutch, so the revs would drop suddenly. I also found when that happened the bike would not immediately start in gear. I had to pull over and stop, put the bike in neutral to restart. Temp was a nice 79 degrees. I put another 70 miles on it yesterday and it happened a couple more times. I told the salesman and he acted like I was an idiot,mbecause he said he 'got on it' and didn't have any problems. I've been riding MC's for 25 years and raced motocross for years, and never had this issue on another bike, but this is my first fuel injected one. I'm almost positive the idle needs to be turned up just slightly on the ones that are having these issues and that should fix it. I'll ride it another day or two and then ask the dealer to adjust it.

sdrio

So it may be that there is more than one problem.

Just to clarify - on mine, when it does it it only happens at the moment I start to open the throttle. It either misfires, or stops altogether. That's usually either overrunning as I slow down (which is what you're describing), or when stationary and about to move off.

I'm being pedantic, because I'm wondering if you are getting the same or something different. Is it happening as you're going to open the throttle again, or is it really just getting to tickover then dying?

Mine is never difficult to start afterwards. I have seen a couple of people say they have your problem - 4 or 5 attempts needed to restart, which is why I'm wondering if it's a different (but equally serious) fault.

AJ Nin

I had this same experience with the bike dying at traffic lights when I first got the bike...first 2 days. It happened just as you described. It happened 3 times, always with a hot engine with coolant temp high waiting at long traffic lights. I also had trouble starting the bike when it was hot...again for the first 2 days. I also had a hesitation in 6th gear rolling on the throttle. At 104 miles after a hard break-in described below, I changed the oil and filter...went to full synthetic (not that that probably matters), but the problem is gone. Hot starts turn over even quicker than a cold engine now. My engine still takes a full 3 seconds of cranking to start up in the morning, but I think that is just the nature of this bike and not a problem. You still do need to give it gas BEFORE you start to let out the clutch. The rpms are set low on this bike so any stress on the engine will kill it. Again not a problem once your remember to give it a little throttle. I no longer have the problem of the bike dying on it's own or almost dying and needing to blip the throttle while waiting at a stop light though. That problem has gone away.

I don't know where you are with your mileage, but if I had your bike, I would get it properly broken in by thoroughly warming it up, wringing it out up to redline a few times in say 2nd gear, letting off the throttle to create back pressure, so you don't have to speed so much. I would do this several times, then get the oil and filter changed and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Last edited:

Ralph

Two things I did notice on a test ride was how quiet both exhaust and mechanical
it was and that it had a sharpish biting point on the clutch, non of which bother me
but I have noticed other riders setting off on 07's and two of them seemed to be
taken by surprise and a little out of control just as they set off, don't know if it
is anything to do with the stalling but they did seem to be struggling to get a smooth
take off.

sdrio

Two things I did notice on a test ride was how quiet both exhaust and mechanical
it was and that it had a sharpish biting point on the clutch, non of which bother me
but I have noticed other riders setting off on 07's and two of them seemed to be
taken by surprise and a little out of control just as they set off, don't know if it
is anything to do with the stalling but they did seem to be struggling to get a smooth
take off.
I find that, but it's probably because I'm making sure it's gone past the cough and die point before I let the clutch out. I'm compensating. I don't like riding that way, but it's better than having it stall.

There's also where we ride to consider. This problem manifests itself when you're pulling away. I drive 30 miles/day in and out of London during the rush hour, so I probably stop and start 500 times per week.

If it only does it one in a hundred times, I'll have it happen once a day. Someone who uses the bike for country scratching at the weekend, or is a journalist doing a test ride (right, Yamaha??), might never have it happen.

dazzor

FFS, this is a worry. I'm still waiting for my bike to arrive at the dealers. Mid September if I'm lucky....or not.

Dealer has a £500 deposit. Where do I stand on getting that back based on this fault?

This stalling thing happened twice in my 1 hour test ride, and yeah; I was emulating my daily commute, so like sdrio, I'm doing lots of filtering, junctions ect. I'm going to be totally gutted if this issue results in untenable misery.

My old XJ6N had stalling issues too, only just after the auto chock cut out and engine temp was about 45-60c. Once fully warmed up it was fine, so doesn't sound like the same problem source.

I'm also loathed to throw money at after market fuelling tech like power commanders too, been there, done all that....underwhelming results on more than one occasion too.

Please get this sorted Yamaha!

blueglue

FFS, this is a worry. I'm still waiting for my bike to arrive at the dealers. Mid September if I'm lucky....or not.

Dealer has a £500 deposit. Where do I stand on getting that back based on this fault?

This stalling thing happened twice in my 1 hour test ride, and yeah; I was emulating my daily commute, so like sdrio, I'm doing lots of filtering, junctions ect. I'm going to be totally gutted if this issue results in untenable misery.

My old XJ6N had stalling issues too, only just after the auto chock cut out and engine temp was about 45-60c. Once fully warmed up it was fine, so doesn't sound like the same problem source.

I'm also loathed to throw money at after market fuelling tech like power commanders too, been there, done all that....underwhelming results on more than one occasion too.

Mine stopped stalling at the 1k miles point. Something weird on break in but now its awesome.

Will145

It's not affecting every MT-07 which is strange

dazzor

It's not affecting every MT-07 which is strange
Well that's something I suppose. But if yamaha are playing dumb about it, that's a real concern.

One of the main reasons I've decided to treat myself to a brand new bike (last new bike I bought was a 1997 P reg ZX6R, happy days) over a used one was because I fancied a bit of manufacture support and back-up for a couple of worry-free years.

I'm no biking legend but I've had plenty of bikes, litre twins included and I know they sometimes can have a propensity to stall randomly and I also think this is something beyond that..... What I won't have is some cocky muppet in a dealers telling me it's my fault and the way I ride.

If this bike doesn't like stop/start traffic duties then I will be pulling the sales of goods act 1979 on them. I'm sorry but this bike might be fun but at the end of the day it's a frugal, mid-range twin that "should" be spot-on in commuter situations.

I guess we want to hear from owners on here doing a daily commute like sdrio and I.

Last edited:

Unsterbliche

I've been researching the MT-07 for quiet a while now, I have taken all the rivals and issues into consideration and have done my research well, going back and forth, making my mind up and changing it again about a hundred times over the last 3 months. I needed a commuter bike for city traffic that was FUN above all else, and that is why I have, as of 10min ago, taken the plunge and made my deposit for a 2014 MT-07 ABS Race blue (and a scorpion exo-R2000 sky blue helmet as well). This is where I just sit back and pray and believe the MT-07 on its way to me will provide me with nothing but fun and SAFE miles for years to come, and I hope when your bike arrives dazzor, all your fears are laid to rest.

dazzor

I've been researching the MT-07 for quiet a while now, I have taken all the rivals and issues into consideration and have done my research well, going back and forth, making my mind up and changing it again about a hundred times over the last 3 months. I needed a commuter bike for city traffic that was FUN above all else, and that is why I have, as of 10min ago, taken the plunge and made my deposit for a 2014 MT-07 ABS Race blue (and a scorpion exo-R2000 sky blue helmet as well). This is where I just sit back and pray and believe the MT-07 on its way to me will provide me with nothing but fun and SAFE miles for years to come, and I hope when your bike arrives dazzor, all your fears are laid to rest.
Thanks mate and ditto.

Because I want Matt grey I'm having to wait an age.

I'm kind of resigned to the notion that because I want pretty much the exact same qualities in my commuter as you; the MT-07 is as good as it gets...at this price point at least.

Bottom line; if it keeps stalling I am confident I have a strong case to return the bike for a full refund under the sales of goods act; that being it's not fit for purpose. I'll then most likely return to the drawing board and deliberate between a BMW F800R and a kwak ER6N... Both used and for about 4k ish.

But...I'm preying the 07 is problem free or at least Yamaha hold their hands up, do the some much needed trouble-shooting and bite the bullet and do recalls as necessary.

What I can't have is a bike that keeps quitting in situations where I need to be decisive and throttle away in small windows of opportunity....that are safe enough but require said vehicle to be responsive; not stall!

Last edited: