Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

sdrio

mine did this again last friday, but this time (same as in the video, but i wasnt blipping the throttle) as i was slowing down for a roundabout, dropped it into first as i came to the roundabout and it died as i was about to go for a gap in the traffic. its getting annoyining now.
The frustrating part is that anybody who hasn't had it happen, be they riders or people from dealers / mechanics, don't believe it happens.

They all think we're stalling the bikes, despite the fact we're pointing out it happens when the clutch is fully released.

I wish Yamaha would actually step up and do something about it. I've had 3 Yamahas in a row that do this, it's just not acceptable.

Just an observation - seems to me temperature has an effect. All the bikes I've had that do it (XT660, MT03, and now the MT07) seem more prone to it the higher the ambient temperature. Mine has done it 2 or 3 times in the last couple of days.

da1kini

The frustrating part is that anybody who hasn't had it happen, be they riders or people from dealers / mechanics, don't believe it happens.

They all think we're stalling the bikes, despite the fact we're pointing out it happens when the clutch is fully released.

I wish Yamaha would actually step up and do something about it. I've had 3 Yamahas in a row that do this, it's just not acceptable.

Just an observation - seems to me temperature has an effect. All the bikes I've had that do it (XT660, MT03, and now the MT07) seem more prone to it the higher the ambient temperature. Mine has done it 2 or 3 times in the last couple of days.
Now be honest, If you had that happen to !! 3 !! bikes you owned I would also think it is your driving style causing it :)
But I agree someone should take this more serious!

widget2k4

it is actually becoming a danger factor for me now especially when i have my daughter on the back, but i do agree it cuts out loads when the weather is hotter and stuck at lights etc, so bloody frustrating :(

sdrio

Now be honest, If you had that happen to !! 3 !! bikes you owned I would also think it is your driving style causing it :)
But I agree someone should take this more serious!
I'd agree if there weren't 100 other people confirming their bikes do the same.

I'd love for it to be something I'm doing wrong, then I could do something about it, but it isn't, and it doesn't matter how I ride, what fuel I use, how high the tickover is or whether I try any of the other 4 dozen suggestions that have appeared over the last 10 years.

I'm glad you don't have the problem. It must be nice to trust your bike.

geffd

When I took the demo out it cut out a few times at lights with the clutch in, wasn't sure if it was my fault at first but never happened on my Honda, will find out Friday if it does it on mine

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Ralph

It seems a few Yams are affected thing is keep complaining as if no one does they wont do anything.
Suzuki's have built in diagnostic's that allow you to adjust the throttle position sensor but I dont know
if Yam do the same, but if anyone decides to try mark it's position so you can set it back.
I remember the recall below and lots were changed but the problems with the MT may be somthing
else and not related.

Recall Details for YAMAHA - YZF - R1, FZ6 S/N, FJR1300, TDM900, MT-01, XV1700PC AND XT660R/X

Last edited:

da1kini

I'd agree if there weren't 100 other people confirming their bikes do the same.

I'd love for it to be something I'm doing wrong, then I could do something about it, but it isn't, and it doesn't matter how I ride, what fuel I use, how high the tickover is or whether I try any of the other 4 dozen suggestions that have appeared over the last 10 years.

I'm glad you don't have the problem. It must be nice to trust your bike.
I hope you did not take it wrong. I tried to ease it up with a smiley...
Also wrote that I agree with you and hope someone should take this more serious.

DJP

...Just an observation - seems to me temperature has an effect. All the bikes I've had that do it (XT660, MT03, and now the MT07) seem more prone to it the higher the ambient temperature. Mine has done it 2 or 3 times in the last couple of days.
Agreed. Mine only seems to do it when it's been idling in traffic for a while and the temp gauge is creeping up.

It never does it cold.

It's getting annoying now that the weather's getting warmer.

sdrio

Agreed. Mine only seems to do it when it's been idling in traffic for a while and the temp gauge is creeping up.

It never does it cold.

It's getting annoying now that the weather's getting warmer.
Mine is 'trying' to do it almost all the time now, and succeeding when I'm not paying attention. It died twice yesterday, both times in heavy traffic.

You just hear a little cough as you start to open the throttle. You can avoid it actually dying if you make sure you don't open the throttle slowly, but that's a really stupid situation. I don't want to have to gun away from every set of lights just to keep the engine going.

I'm going to email Yamaha about it today, I've had enough.

sdrio

I hope you did not take it wrong. I tried to ease it up with a smiley...
Also wrote that I agree with you and hope someone should take this more serious.
No problem, I understand. You can just see how peeved I'm getting.

(Meantime, my browser doesn't show emotes or colours, just black text on white background!)

blueglue

Just an update from my side of things.
My bike did this probably 10 times upto my 600 miles service then appeared to do it even more after the service. It was intermittent as sometimes it would do it two or three times on a 5 mile commute or non at all doing a 150+ mile day out.
Any way i noticed after about 1300 miles it seems to have stopped doing it and seems to run alot smoothly pulling off junctions. I must admit when it used to cut out pulling up at junctions i thought something was seriously a miss.
This could all be down to me changing my riding style to suit the bike though as being a new biker i have nothing to compare it to (well i did have a Honda MT50 fifteen years ago i suppose)

im on 1600 miles and it all seems better now but it kind of puts you on edge that it could crop up at any time.

da1kini

No problem, I understand. You can just see how peeved I'm getting.

(Meantime, my browser doesn't show emotes or colours, just black text on white background!)
I know, I would be pissed to...sry for your trouble with the bike.

sdrio

I've emailed Yamaha customer service, will update as appropriate.
Sent a mail 2 days ago, no reply from Yamaha.

I guess this isn't an issue they'll deal with by individual emails with owners.

I'm thinking to sell mine, but if I've still got it at the end of July, I'll doorstep someone at the MT road show.

[edit] update below. They did reply.

Last edited:

Unsterbliche

I asked Yamaha South Africa the first time I saw a bunch of people complaining about the cut-out issues. They responded with the following "We have not received any complaints of this issue from owners in South Africa, and the Factory have not informed us of any issues regarding the MT07 either.
Should this issue crop up on one of the South African bikes, the necessary steps in the Service manual need to be followed to check the correct idling speed.

We have also passed on your concerns to our contacts at the factory, and should there be any changes to this communication, our Dealer network will be informed accordingly."

My plan was on putting my order in for the MT next week, so everyone who is still experiencing issues with stalling, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

sdrio

I asked Yamaha South Africa the first time I saw a bunch of people complaining about the cut-out issues. They responded with the following "We have not received any complaints of this issue from owners in South Africa, and the Factory have not informed us of any issues regarding the MT07 either.
Should this issue crop up on one of the South African bikes, the necessary steps in the Service manual need to be followed to check the correct idling speed.

We have also passed on your concerns to our contacts at the factory, and should there be any changes to this communication, our Dealer network will be informed accordingly."

My plan was on putting my order in for the MT next week, so everyone who is still experiencing issues with stalling, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!
I just got a reply from Yamaha UK.

They're basically saying their engineers have never had it happen, and there were no complaints about it from the press when they tested it. They go on to say they hope this helps to alleviate my concerns.

Well, the bike not stalling at traffic lights would alleviate my concerns. The fact a bunch of journalists didn't stall one while popping wheelies, not so much.

I've sent them a link to this thread, and some others around the web.

amavro

Don't know if this is related but yesterday for the second time (first time was at around 1000km ) at 3000 km the bike turned off when I was waiting on the traffic light due to selecting the wrong gear (I guess ) , I immediately put it to neutral and the bike didn't start for 4 times in a row . It could be related to the heat ? Temperature was 38 degrees .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unsterbliche

Did Yamaha even test the MT-07 in real world conditions? There are just way too many people who have reported a stalling issue with the MT-07, and this form a modern "reliable" bike? This can't be considered acceptable!!