Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

L

Lonerider

No stalling issue for mine. I'm having a lot of fun in my commutes. The discomfort seat (stock one) is more a issue for me for longer rides. I'm wondering if the ones that have the stalling issue were manufactured in the same period of time. Mine was build 2014/04.

da1kini

No stalling issue for mine. I'm having a lot of fun in my commutes. The discomfort seat (stock one) is more a issue for me for longer rides. I'm wondering if the ones that have the stalling issue were manufactured in the same period of time. Mine was build 2014/04.
Where can u see the manufacture date?

AJ Nin

Mine is 5/14. It's on the tube frame just behind the radiator on the R side of the bike. I should say I now have 400 miles on my FZ-07 and it is running very well....no more stalling, hesitation, hard starts when hot. Now I'm feeling bad I wrote a semi-nasty letter to Yamaha, however stalling in traffic is a very serious problem. You could easily get rear-ended. This will be a recall item I think. Something not right with the ecu or perhaps the program, or could be as simple as setting the idle a bit higher even. You know Kawasaki had to replace a bunch of Ninja 300 ecus on the 2013 bikes on a recall for stalling with the clutch pull. New bike usually means issues.

P

Peter

Opening this thread the reader can think all of the mt-07 suffers with this stalling issue.

I would like to state that my bike is perfect. I had no problem at all. The bike cut off 2 or 3 times but it was my fault (no or not enough throttle applied).
I'm sure I'm not the only one on the world.

sdrio

Opening this thread the reader can think all of the mt-07 suffers with this stalling issue.

I would like to state that my bike is perfect. I had no problem at all. The bike cut off 2 or 3 times but it was my fault (no or not enough throttle applied).
I'm sure I'm not the only one on the world.
Good for you.

Anyone reading this thread can see some do it, some don't.

dazzor

Good for you.

Anyone reading this thread can see some do it, some don't.
^This.

Its been clearly stated not all 07's do it.

The bike I had my test ride on did it, so hardly inspiring confidence.

Here's the thing, Yamaha just need to take ownership of it as soon as its reported, irrespective of volume...this thread would, I suspect, be a lot lighter if they did.

Oh, for the avoidance of doubt.... to those just joining the discussion; not all MT-07's do it [emoji2]

AJ Nin

Same with the Ninja 300. Many people had no stalling issues. A year or so after the Ninja 300 was out, Kawa identified the problem and issued a recall for many, but not all motorcycles. Often it is one batch of ECUs or one set of programs, etc. When a recall happens they always say it involves "certain" models. They could easily have one assembly line using parts from different suppliers. Other times, they are not sure, but can include many more bikes than actually need a fix in the recall until they do some testing on the bike. Piaggio about 3 years ago had to recall thousands of scooters across several years for faulty fuel pumps. Exactly how many scooters which were underway coughed, died, and would not restart until the bike cooled off, I don't know. I did have one of them though.

sdrio

Same with the Ninja 300. Many people had no stalling issues. A year or so after the Ninja 300 was out, Kawa identified the problem and issued a recall for many, but not all motorcycles. Often it is one batch of ECUs or one set of programs, etc. When a recall happens they always say it involves "certain" models. They could easily have one assembly line using parts from different suppliers. Other times, they are not sure, but can include many more bikes than actually need a fix in the recall until they do some testing on the bike. Piaggio about 3 years ago had to recall thousands of scooters across several years for faulty fuel pumps. Exactly how many scooters which were underway coughed, died, and would not restart until the bike cooled off, I don't know. I did have one of them though.
Not the first time Yamaha have had the problem.

The XT660 did it. I had one. The MT03 did it. I had one of those as well.

This is why I'm probably the loudest and most obnoxious person in this thread. I have had coughing spluttering Yamahas for the best part of 10 years now. I can only blame myself though, I should have learned by now and bought something else.

dazzor

Not the first time Yamaha have had the problem.

The XT660 did it. I had one. The MT03 did it. I had one of those as well.

This is why I'm probably the loudest and most obnoxious person in this thread. I have had coughing spluttering Yamahas for the best part of 10 years now. I can only blame myself though, I should have learned by now and bought something else.
But I've been waiting for a decent twin, in this class to come along for ages. The ER6 underwhelmed me, yes it's good in many ways but I wanted it lighter, more nimble.....I'd still take my chances on this bike given the alternatives being offered by the competition right now

The 07, for me, has other foibles too, like the 14L tank, low grade switch gear, poorly located dash display....just my opinion.... Still want one and can't wait for my dealers call to say its in.

Last edited:

sdrio

I have to keep checking myself here - if you see the stalling thing as an insignificant problem, then almost every other aspect of the bike is really good. I like the way it looks, the performance in every other respect is exceptional, the price is remarkable.

It's a very good bike indeed.

It just has this issue that unfortunately pisses me off probably way out of proportion to reality. I would really like a solution, then I'd be delighted with the bike.

It shouldn't be enough to stop you buying one, anyway. I'm living with mine, and I'm it's harshest critic.

dazzor

I have to keep checking myself here - if you see the stalling thing as an insignificant problem, then almost every other aspect of the bike is really good. I like the way it looks, the performance in every other respect is exceptional, the price is remarkable.

It's a very good bike indeed.

It just has this issue that unfortunately pisses me off probably way out of proportion to reality. I would really like a solution, then I'd be delighted with the bike.

It shouldn't be enough to stop you buying one, anyway. I'm living with mine, and I'm it's harshest critic.
Mate I really do feel your pain; a bike quitting in unforgiving traffic on a daily commute....I think I'd be spitting fire fairly soon.

I live in Hertfordshire, work in EC4. It's an 18 mile, each-way affair. Plenty of traffic as soon as I get past Enfield and by Manor House it gets grimmer and grimmer.

I've paid my non-refundable deposit now. I'm in this one way or another. Fingers crossed Yamaha come up with a proper fix.

All the best

Darren

Last edited:

da1kini

Mate I really do feel your pain; a bike quitting in unforgiving traffic on a daily commute....I think I'd be spitting fire fairly soon.

I live in Hertfordshire, work in EC4. It's an 18 mile, each-way affair. Plenty of traffic as soon as I get past Enfield and by Manor House it gets grimmer and grimmer.

I've paid my non-refundable deposit now. I'm in this one way or another. Fingers crossed Yamaha come up with a proper fix.

All the best

Darren
I to feel his pain! And hope Yamaha fixes things. How ever it seems to be a fairly isolated problem. Most of the MT 07:s does not have that problem to my knowledge.

sdrio

I to feel his pain! And hope Yamaha fixes things. How ever it seems to be a fairly isolated problem. Most of the MT 07:s does not have that problem to my knowledge.
I'm starting to wonder the same. Maybe mine does have a different problem. It was also misfiring as I was pulling away this weekend, that's not necessarily the same thing.

dazzor

I'm starting to wonder the same. Maybe mine does have a different problem. It was also misfiring as I was pulling away this weekend, that's not necessarily the same thing.
How long have you had the bike and how many miles on the clock?

I'm wondering what your chances of a replacement are like?

sdrio

How long have you had the bike and how many miles on the clock?

I'm wondering what your chances of a replacement are like?
Bought mid May, about 2,000 miles. I'm going to see if I can have a word with someone at the roadshow. I'm not looking for a replacement, just to get this one sorted.

dazzor

Bought mid May, about 2,000 miles. I'm going to see if I can have a word with someone at the roadshow. I'm not looking for a replacement, just to get this one sorted.
Seems more than reasonable to me. Good luck with it and please do let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Darren

Ralph

Check if the battery leads are tight and plug leads/coils are on correctly,
not that you should have to be messing with a new bike the dealer should sort it.

allyw71

Check if the battery leads are tight and plug leads/coils are on correctly,
not that you should have to be messing with a new bike the dealer should sort it.
Agree, could also be a duff plug, come across a few of those in my lifetime.

Ralph

Strangely I too have seen a few duf plugs in the last 2 years but
nothing for years before that, maybe there are some spurious ones
in the system.

Geoff

Happened to me on two separate occasions in first 300 miles. Idling in first gear with the clutch in, and it the engine has cut out. Will mention on first service...