Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

Ralph

Not sure about that vid he seems to be snapping the throttle open for no apparent reason,
does the MT have secondary throttle butterflies like Suzukies? if so then I would not expect
it to stall but if it doesn't then snapping it open like he seems to do would likely catch the
injection system out and feed the motor with to much air in one gulp, If I have to keep
doing that to keep it running it will be going right back to Yam but the demo bike ran just
as expected.

matthelps

This looks troubling but I am not surprised a new model like this has some tiny issues or maybe rider quirks? The Fz-09 is sad to have cam chain tensioner issues. I rode a demo fz-07 for 40 mins with some city time and back roads, maybe 10-12 stop and goes and didn't have any stalling or any weirdness.

D

Deleted member 20

...snapping it open like he seems to do would likely catch the
injection system out and feed the motor with to much air in one gulp...
Had the same thoughts as you watching the vid. My MT has stalled 2-3 times in 1500 km, for some reason or another, nothing to worry about. Revs at idle is maybe on the low side, but you definitely don't need to jerk the throttle at red lights to keep the engine running.

Unsterbliche

Had the same thoughts as you watching the vid. My MT has stalled 2-3 times in 1500 km, for some reason or another, nothing to worry about. Revs at idle is maybe on the low side, but you definitely don't need to jerk the throttle at red lights to keep the engine running.
Will the dealership be able to adjust the possible low idle revs? Or is this just something to get use to and accept with the MT? I need a reliable trustworthy bike, not one with the FEAR of stalling a constant memory, when I want to pull away at the lights, stuck filtering between cars...

Ralph

They should be able to adjust it via a diagnostic computer,
the MT does feel to have a slow tick over, and I noticed
on the demo bike it was hard to tell with ear plugs in if
it was running at tick over or not but it never stopped.

My Suzuki stopped just as is being described here 2 or 3
times when new and then again at about 3000 miles but
as never done so since, so hopefully the MT will stop doing it
once truly run in.

sdrio

This is pretty much spot on, from what I can see. To describe it as catching the injection system out is the perfect description.

The jerking throttle thing though, I find the opposite. If you rev the nuts off it to pull away, it doesn't do it. It's when you just give it a little blip that it happens.

The issue (to me, at least) is whether that fits with individual riding styles - clearly it doesn't for some of us. I'm by no means heavy handed or clumsy, it just happens that the way I ride causes this to happen, and to be quite honest it doesn't take a lot to provoke it. The MT07 isn't as bad as the xt660/MT03 for it, but it still seems we are going to have to compromise.

That's quite disappointing to me. It's not a new problem, it has been around for at least 8 years. You'd have thought Yamaha should have addressed it during a ground up design of a new power unit.

I'm going to turn up the tickover slightly, see if that helps - assuming that can be done by the rider, not the dealer.

DJP

That's correct. I am at the traffic light in 1st gear with the clutch in. And when just about to ride off the engine cuts out :(
This happens to mine.

At first, I thought it was me stalling it, now I'm 100% certain it's not.

...It's nothing to do with the clutch, or whether it's in gear or not. What is happening is that the moment you open the throttle, there is some kind of fuel supply issue, and under certain very specific circumstances, it causes the engine to die...
This^^.

It's not clutch related - my bike will pull away at idle, if the clutch is released gently.

It seems that the revs sometimes dip momentarily just off idle and if that happens as you're releasing the clutch, then the engine stalls.

It's definitely fuelling: Whenever my bike's done it, it's always just as I begin to open the throttle.

Mine did it again yesterday. The tell-tale was that it took 5 or 6 goes to restart the engine. That speaks of a fuelling issue to me.

I shall mention it at the next service.

widget2k4

hi everyone.
just wondering if anyone got to the bottom of this issue yet as mine has done it from day one also.
i ignored it during the running in period thinking it just needed ran in but 600 miles later it is still doing it, it has now become a danger as when trying to pull out at junctions etc it cuts out.
i have had it to my dealer loads of times and every time they try it never happens to them but they don't use it enough.
i find it normally happens after about 20 miles run and stuck in traffic or lights etc, it has even happened when in neutral without touching anything it just died, but mostly when the clutch is in and you just start to give it throttle it like misfires and dies.
Yamaha first tried to blame my clutch levers as i put on aftermarket ones but it was doing it before then, i still had to change them back before they would investigate any further.
Yamaha have made my dealer fit a box under the seat that will monitor everything and tell them why it is cutting out, but i cant believe it i had it out for 2 full days this weekend and not once has it cut out ?
it has cut out every single time i have been on it since i bought it, they going to think i am a total liar haha.

gearbox problem still there though :( sometimes gets stuck in gear and wont shift, again never happened when they tried it :(

Mikie Z

Hi All,

I pick up my bike in two weeks. This issue sounds much like one the Husqvarna 650 Tetra and Strada have. A product from www.boosterplug.com seems to solve it according to several testimonials. MCN also reviewed the product favorably in the past year.
I have asked if they offer one, or plan to, for the MT-07. Anyone concerned about this might check out the site. If you want one, hit the "contact us" button and let him know. It can't hurt.

I will post any helpful response that I receive.

Best!

Mikie Z

Here is the reply re: Booster Plug:

Hi Mike,

We haven’t yet developed the BoosterPlug for the Yamaha bike range (We are quite busy with the Ducati,Triumph,KTM BoosterPlug’s for now)

We will most likely start the development of the Yamaha BoosterPlug’s next year.

Best Regards

Jens Lyck
BoosterPlug

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikie Z

On a related note, does anyone with an aftermarket exhaust experience this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Will145

I've done over 1000 miles now and this hasn't happened once. The gearbox issue Widget2k4 has though - I have experienced - usually through rider error - coming to an abrupt stop and not changing down the gears. I have had to release the clutch while stationary and go down the box until I get back to first. So - step down, release clutch slowly, step down etc.......

Mikie Z

yep i have an akro fitted and does it the same as it did with the standard pipe :(
Thanks for your reply. I will have to see if my bike does this. I didn't buy the mt09 because several testers said that the throttle response is snatchy when transitioning on and off the throttle. For that matter, I am selling an otherwise very nice BMW k75 because it is so hard to shift smoothly with it's dry clutch and soft low end.
My thumpers, on the other hand both fuel smoothly and are a blast to ride.

I would love it if someone can assure me that these bikes are as much fun to ride as all the magazine testers say.

Thanks for any feedback.

widget2k4

Mikie i can assure you these bikes are awesome fun and an amazing bike to ride, if they were not mine would be gone by now with the cutting out problem, but i love the bike so much i am persevering with the dealer to try and get to the bottom of it.

P

Peter

About the boosterplug:
My previous bike was a BMW F800S. Engine cut off part of the normal operation. Boosterplug could eliminate it.
This plug already reverse engineered and it contains nothing. A home made PCB mounted a NTC thermistor and a parallel resistor.
I made my own version and cost nothing. It definitely helped, the engine never stalled any more.

I'm not sure Yamaha need this modification.

roama119

mine did this again last friday, but this time (same as in the video, but i wasnt blipping the throttle) as i was slowing down for a roundabout, dropped it into first as i came to the roundabout and it died as i was about to go for a gap in the traffic. its getting annoyining now.