Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

RedOne

Sympathise with your MT03 stalling problems problems. As I have already said in my riding history my one stalling threw me off and broke my toe. I do make a 180 turn onto a dirt track to get to the rear of my house. Never stalled my virago, Harley or XJ6 making the same turn. Haven't had it happen on the MT07 either. Although it has stalled unexpectedly on two occasions. Also the MT03 sometimes stalled or should that be the engine just cut out when changing into second gear. That bike really does have a problem.

mike83

Today i had same issue , first time after 1400 km and it was 100% not my fault . My engine just off whenn i put first gear and release clutch in traffic .

sdrio

Yeah, if it happens when you're moving (like changing down the gears), it can lock the back wheel up - especially if it's damp.

I guess all of the bikes reporting in here are very new, so I'm reserving judgement until at least I've got 1,000 miles or so on the clock. It could just be a tight engine.

T-Boss

This happened to me today at a traffic light. The engine shut down the same moment as I started to release the clutch when taking off in 1st gear.
It was 29 deg C and sunny outside, 90 deg C engine temp and driving in the city. A bit annoying when you've been sneaking between the cars to get pole position at the traffic light...

xt660isgood2

There has been an issue for years with the XT660 / MT03 cutting out like this. There are threads about it all over the internet, going back 10 years.

Nobody has ever completely solved it. Yamaha did a recall on the XT660 in about 2005 / 2006 to change (I think) the O2 sensors, but it was never cured. The general agreement was that it was just a characteristic of a large single, and turning the tickover up helped

I've had my 2005 xt for seven years now and honestly cannot remember stalling it once. Done 600 mile now on the mt and stalled it in a shop car park last week. Any
other bike or the xt I think I would have dropped it, but with the mt being so light and low managed to get foot down phew!
It was not the bikes fault it was mine. There's a little bit of slack in the mt throttle cable compared to the xt, so you have to turn the throttle further to produce similar revs, and
I just didn't give it enough (lack of exhaust sound doesn't help gauge revs either, but just have to get used to it)

I will be adjusting that throttle for next ride "dealer prob set it up like that from specs" but doesn't feel right to me

Ralph

Can you adjust the tick over or is it like most new injected bikes and is controlled by the ecu?
Was out on a 800 mile demonstrator and it ticked over at about 1200 rpm steady as a rock never missed a beat
and would pull away just by carefully releasing the clutch, many single cylinder bikes tend to stall but it is unusual
in a twin unless it is a bit tight and needs more miles to free up.
If it is ECU controlled the dealer may be able to speed it up via diagnostics the tick over did seem lower than expected
on the one I was on but as I said it was as good as gold.

Last edited:

blueglue

mine does it if i coast a bit whilst downshifting but Ive just solved the problem by throttling on a bit as downshifting. It just appears the bike only likes to idle when stationary at start up.

da1kini

Do not know if we are talking about the same stuff here but I think the engine is designen to stall when not given enough revs. Think thats part of the safety protocol? I mean trick bikes have a higher tick over for the rider to ride without giving gas. Imagine that happen at a red-light. :) You release the clutch and are barely in balance and the bike starts pulling off.

But then again maybe you guys did give enough gas and then my comment are not valid :)

Ralph

Na I've worked on cars n bike for over 50 years and the only bikes I
ever saw that did not have a tick over were the ones used for trials
riding were they did not want the 2 stroke engine hunting on the over run,
I still think it will sort its self out once it gets run in but if not it should be
sorted under warranty it's a safety issue the lights change to green you
stick it in gear it stalls and you get rear ended, no manufacturer would
design a bike like that for modern road use.

da1kini

Na I've worked on cars n bike for over 50 years and the only bikes I
ever saw that did not have a tick over were the ones used for trials
riding were they did not want the 2 stroke engine hunting on the over run,
I still think it will sort its self out once it gets run in but if not it should be
sorted under warranty it's a safety issue the lights change to green you
stick it in gear it stalls and you get rear ended, no manufacturer would
design a bike like that for modern road use.
do you mean it stalls when you put the 1st gear in? or when you give gas and are about take off?

roama119

my bike is now on about 1100 miles and this has also happaened to me four or five times including about 30 miles ago. it seems to stall when selecting first from neutral, whilst stationary with the clutch in. it restarts no problem and pulls away fine.

Ralph

One thing I did notice on the demo bike was the clutch was
quit sharp, though it was adjusted ok it engaged over a small
distance of the travel, could that be catching you out?

allyw71

Yeah, sounds like the clutch may be dragging a little, probably when it gets hot. A small adjustment might be worth a try to see if it helps

akyros

2-3 k revs is enough to never stall when starting in my exp

there is a sensor on the cluch,noticed it totay
it clicks when the cluch is half way
it signals the ecu somehow when the cluch is released, and combines the info with the revs

im 100% sure that the dealers dont have a clue

P

Peter

2-3 k revs is enough to never stall when starting in my exp

there is a sensor on the cluch,noticed it totay
it clicks when the cluch is half way
it signals the ecu somehow when the cluch is released, and combines the info with the revs

im 100% sure that the dealers dont have a clue
The sensor (switch) used by the sidestand protection logic. The engine can be started in neutral always or in gear if the clutch is pulled. It is a de facto standard.

akyros

youre right about that,but im 100% sure that the engine has some way of auto protection from low rev vibration

sdrio

This isn't a stalling problem, it isn't a case of pulling away without enough revs. That's not to say you can't stall an MT07 like that, but this is a different problem.

It's nothing to do with the clutch, or whether it's in gear or not. What is happening is that the moment you open the throttle, there is some kind of fuel supply issue, and under certain very specific circumstances, it causes the engine to die.

You can actually catch it sometimes. You'll feel it briefly misfire, and can give it a blip to stop it.

Riding style probably makes a difference. If your style is to give it a good handful as you pull away, you'll probably never have it happen. If you're gentle on the throttle, and are riding say in heavy traffic a lot, you're more likely to see it.

In the case of the MT03/XT660 (both of them have a reputation for it), it used to happen either when pulling away from the lights, or when coming to a stop, changing from 2nd to 1st, where you probably give the throttle a little blip.

On the MT07 I have only heard of ti happening when going to pull away.

Having said all this, mine hasn't done it in the last 2 weeks, having done it 2 or 3 times in the first week I had it, so it's possible it's just an issue on really new bikes.

Ralph

I have come across the same thing on some bike when the rider does
not give the computer time enough to go through it's start up thing,
I don't know if the MT is the same but on some bikes if you don't let
it do the dash dance thing before starting it it does not have time to
check all the sensors and so instead of using live data it uses a set safe
setting and this can lead to the engine stalling or cutting out what ever
you want to call it, again don't know if this is so on the MT so if you have
problems try making sure you let it do its start thing before pressing the
starter, see if it does it then.