Just a quickie about cutting out issue

Yaminator

Hi all its just a quick question,
How many people have a cutting out issue and notice that the exhaust down-pipes are a different color to each other..?

Ralph

Will have to look to be sure but mine cuts less now than it did but still does it now and then and as far as I know they are the same colour.

sdrio

I'm still slightly intrigued by the other post I saw today, where an incidental comment said they'd fixed the stalling issue by fiddling with the injectors.

I'm still trying to solve that one, so I'd like to know what exactly they did. I'm not reporting here what's going on with mine, but if I could sort it with a simple tweak, it'd save a lot of people quite a lot of agro and money.

Ralph

I think what he did was get the dealer to slightly richen up the mixture just off tick over,
once I get over the new year I am going to check the vacuum balance mine does cut but
not very often now it's got 2500 miles up.

sdrio

I think what he did was get the dealer to slightly richen up the mixture just off tick over,
once I get over the new year I am going to check the vacuum balance mine does cut but
not very often now it's got 2500 miles up.
Yes, that's what it seemed to me. I'm just not sure how you'd do that. I guess it probably does one or all of void the warranty or bust emission regs. It'd be a popular fix.

I don't think taking mine to my dealer is an option.

Last edited:

geot

They did richen the mixture by a little bit..
As ralph said..
It was too low from factory..
Mine was stalling almost every day..
Since the visit to the dealership it hasn't stall not even once..

da1kini

I'm still slightly intrigued by the other post I saw today, where an incidental comment said they'd fixed the stalling issue by fiddling with the injectors.

I'm still trying to solve that one, so I'd like to know what exactly they did. I'm not reporting here what's going on with mine, but if I could sort it with a simple tweak, it'd save a lot of people quite a lot of agro and money.
I posted like 5 months ago that the first service should include a manage of the tic over or what its called in english....seems a lot of you guys did not get that on your 1st service...

Mine was slightly off and after that tune it worked much better...

sdrio

I posted like 5 months ago that the first service should include a manage of the tic over or what its called in english....seems a lot of you guys did not get that on your 1st service...

Mine was slightly off and after that tune it worked much better...
Tickover and adjusting richness aren't the same thing.

Tickover is the speed the engine idles at. He's talking about adjusting how much fuel is going in at or just above tickover.

sdrio

They did richen the mixture by a little bit..
As ralph said..
It was too low from factory..
Mine was stalling almost every day..
Since the visit to the dealership it hasn't stall not even once..
Did you see what they did?

Did they have to use a computer or something?

da1kini

Tickover and adjusting richness aren't the same thing.

Tickover is the speed the engine idles at. He's talking about adjusting how much fuel is going in at or just above tickover.
Ok, but when I had mine in for service the mechanic hooked it up to a gadget that showed two graphs, one for each cylinder. Then he adjusted something so the graphs that before was uneven then was even. You tell me if thats called a tick over change...

But all I can say is that after that change the bike felt much more compete...

sdrio

Ok, but when I had mine in for service the mechanic hooked it up to a gadget that showed two graphs, one for each cylinder. Then he adjusted something so the graphs that before was uneven then was even. You tell me if thats called a tick over change...

But all I can say is that after that change the bike felt much more compete...
Sounds like some kind of balance thing.

I was told the second time I took mine in that the tickover had been increased, but I noticed no difference.

geot

Did you see what they did?

Did they have to use a computer or something?
Yes they used a computer with a diagnostic program..
The fuel was too low for the smooth operation of the bike, so they gave it a touch up..

Gaz2212

da1kini is talking about the throttle body sync, this will even up fuelling to each cylinder, as it says synchronising the two throttle bodies, nothing to do with tickover

da1kini

da1kini is talking about the throttle body sync, this will even up fuelling to each cylinder, as it says synchronising the two throttle bodies, nothing to do with tickover
Yes!! Exactly!
So that adjustment could help with stalling issues then?

sdrio

I think I could be on to something here..?
I think it has been covered in several other discussions already.

Mine has had a lot of checks done, most of them by Yamaha themselves - engine compression, valve timing and clearance, intake system, filter and throttle balance, electrical components and connections. The cam chain tensioner has been replaced, and oil / filters changed at least 3 times in 4,000 miles. It still coughs and farts like an 80 year old man half the time.

What amazes me is that I have been told there have been at least 5 qualified mechanics road test, and not one of them reported any problem.

You'd have to consider maybe I'm just a vexatious whiny pain in the arse, but I've got about 60 pages of other people reporting the same problems. That's just the English language ones.

'nuff said, I think.