5000 Mile Service

Eddieh93

Does anyone know what's involved in a 5000 mile service I'm sick of paying expensive labour charges when I could probably do it myself.

Is it just brake pads, oil, chain tensioning and clean and oil and bits like that or is it internal engine checks?

Ralph

It's 6000 in my book but nothing in the engine the oil filter is not even needed but I would change it for what it costs,
the throttle body is down for a sync but I doubt a dealer would do it unless asked everything else is just a check of
fluids pads tyres and chain a look round for anything loose.

NEloi

Like Ralph said, but a complete list bellow just so you don't forget anything

- Check fuel hoses for crack or damage
- Spark plugs, check condition, clean and regap
- Fuel injection system, Adjust synchronization
- Air filter check hose, clean
- Clutch, check operation, adjust
- Front/Rear break, Check operation, fluid level and leakage, replace pads if needed
- Brake hoses, check for cracks or damage, correct routing and clamping, replace every 4 years
- Brake fluid, replace every 2 years
- Wheels, check runout and damage
- Tires, check tread depth and damage, pressure, replace if necessary
- Wheel bearings, check bearing for looseness or damage
- Swingarm, check operation and excessive play
- Steering bearings, check bearing play and roughness
- Chasis fasteners, make sure all nuts, bolts and screws are properly tightened
- Brake lever pivot shaft, lubricate with silicone
- Brake pedal pivot shaft, lubricate with lithium-soap based grease
- Clutch lever pivot shaft, lubricate with lithium-soap based grease
- Sidestand, check operation, lubricate with lithium-soap based grease
- Sidestand switch, check operation
- Front fork, check operation and oil leakage
- Shock absorber assembly, check operation and oil leakage
- Rear suspension relay arm and connecting arm pivoting points, check operation
- Engine oil, change, check level and leakage
- Cooling system, check coolant level and leakage
- Front and rear brake switches, check operation
- Moving parts and cables, lubricate
- Throttle grip, check operation, free play and adjusts, lubricate cables and housing
- Lights, signals and switches, check operation, adjust headlight beam

Not sure if Peter is still around to share the service manual, but you can try asking him anyway and wait a few days.

http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-technical-forum/777-workshop-manual-post15578.html#post15578

Last edited:

Eddieh93

To be honest I have the service manual from Peter haha I completely forgot about that thanks for the comprehensive list there NEIoi its extremely helpful.

I didn't think it was going to be anything too involved. i will get the parts and get it done.

Ralph, I was told it was 5000 miles, and to bring it to them but for £80 an hour they can suck my long one!

Ralph

There should be a list in the owners book there is in mine but the US bikes have different shorter
intervals but oil is cheap over there and they love servicing things, so It's likely just a marketing
thing

Last edited:

Eddieh93

Ye oil and filter is £40 on ebay.

Heres the list is an going to do;
New oil and filter £40
New DID and Renthal chain and sprockets kit £140 (as I am shit at lubing my chain so its rusty as shit) might even install a scotoiler while im at it.
New Brembo brake pads £28
New brake fluid £20
and just give everything and adjust and lube.

So £228 for parts and no labour costs as I am going to do it myself!

sdrio

Ye oil and filter is £40 on ebay.

Heres the list is an going to do;
New oil and filter £40
New DID and Renthal chain and sprockets kit £140 (as I am shit at lubing my chain so its rusty as shit) might even install a scotoiler while im at it.
New Brembo brake pads £28
New brake fluid £20
and just give everything and adjust and lube.

So £228 for parts and no labour costs as I am going to do it myself!
No particular reason not to, but your brake fluid definitely doesn't need changing at 5,000 miles. Should be good for 2 years / 20,000 miles.

Would suggest if you've been giving it enough stick to need a new chain and sprockets after 5k miles, have a good look at the cush drive rubbers while you're in there. Make sure there's no slack, if there is, either replace them (they're not very expensive), or shim them with bits of cut up inner tube. Put the shims on the side that touches the wheel, not the sprocket carrier.

Eddieh93

For £20 I might as well do it I was thinking if I am going to do the pads I'll do the fluid at the same time.

In regards to my chain it has seen better days haha I am not very easy going on the gear shifts and ride everywhere at full throttle haha and its a bit rusty from a winters worth of riding. So that was my thinking behind that one. Have you got a photo of the cush drive rubbers it may sound like I know what I am doing but haven't done anything on the drive chain or engine since I have had it and may need a bit of advice, YouTube helps a lot!!!

sdrio

For £20 I might as well do it I was thinking if I am going to do the pads I'll do the fluid at the same time.

In regards to my chain it has seen better days haha I am not very easy going on the gear shifts and ride everywhere at full throttle haha and its a bit rusty from a winters worth of riding. So that was my thinking behind that one. Have you got a photo of the cush drive rubbers it may sound like I know what I am doing but haven't done anything on the drive chain or engine since I have had it and may need a bit of advice, YouTube helps a lot!!!
If you're changing the sprocket, you'll be introduced to the cush drives anyway, they'll be the things rolling around your garage floor.

They're simple things, you can't put them in the wrong way because of their shape.

Ralph

If yours is a ABS bike do not let air into the system it can be very difficult to bleed
if it gets into the ABS pump personally I would leave the fluid as is it's not slated for
2 years at least.
. Check the procedure on changing the fluid in the service book see what it says some
vehicles need engine on of off or the pump can be damaged.

Last edited: