What would you do?

Mushymi5

Here's my dilemma, spent 6 months getting my license, then waiting for ages for the MT to be delivered, for my wife now wants me to sell the bike. The reason for this, since I started my license training, one friend came off his bike snapped his arm, whilst already disabled in his other arm from a previous crash, for another friend to completely wipe out on Saturday and is now minus a finger, arm pinned like i-robot and many operations to go. This is not to mention another friend who got rammed into railings and has a fused leg!

The wife is concerned its only a matter of time, before i crash(fecking hope not) and she wants the bike gone, I love it and the sense of freedom, but for her to be worried every time I go out, is a bit unfair.

So do I sell it and be done or keep it knowing she ain't happy; with my dinner, going in the dog some nights!?

hahapik

Since you ask for the opinion of almost total strangers on a public forum, here is what I think:

The first mistake you made, is the whole "wife" thing. I can't understand why people tend to do this, there's such a lot of women... (joke)

Seriously. I'll tell you a story. I started running something about 10 years ago. I had a friend, with whom I started running, pretty much my mentor. He told me everything I needed to know, to get addicted to running. Some 4 years back, I got a message from his parents, telling me he died while running. He swallowed a bee, suffocate and passed. He was 25 y.o. . That didn't stop me from running, last month was my third marathon, best time 3h12min.

Sometimes when I think I would have a girlfriend/wife riding a motorcycle, I honestly think, I would not let her. Because I know that even if she was careful and all, others may not.

That's it, don't do to others, what you would not like to be done to yourself.

Last edited:

sdrio

This isn't a question about bikes, it's unfortunately a question about your marriage.

Objectively, I can see merit on both sides. She has a point, but then you have rights too.

Only question I have, and i can't answer this - is she feeding your dinner to the dog because she's actually scared of the possible consequences of you riding a bike, or is she doing it because you are 'defying' her? It's a serious question, because if it's the former you can sit down and talk to her about it, if the latter you're screwed.

Other thing I'd say is you have some unlucky friends . . . maybe that's the problem and you can solve it by getting some new ones who can actually ride a bike :D

TJ63

Get some more training.

Start with BikeSafe, then move on to IAM, Rospa or one of the others. Show her that you are a serious and careful rider, and she will hopefully come round.

I don't suppose she'll ride pillion with you? Then she can dig you in the ribs if you do something stupid.

blueglue

My Dad went head on with a truck and lost his memory upto six weeks prior to the crash, broke both legs, his arm and his chin strap went through his lip (imagine a flappy lip like someone just tore it off). Anyway this was all before i was born and my mum made him give up motorbikes. (He said he has been gutted ever since and this was 30+ years ago). He did however get me on motocross bikes when i was 13 (my mum didnt talk to him for a week haha) and subsequently bought me a 50cc when i was 16. I moved onto cars at 17 but got my act together and passed my test at 31.
As a teenager my dads best friend died on a bike riding to work, my mate had to have a skin graft due to road rash and various other spills and another. I also have a godfather who hasnt had a crash in 30 years and my dads cousin who is 72 and has an R1 (he made it into the local paper). The thing is when your times up, your times up. You arent going to worry about it because you'll be dead. Riding motorbikes is a lifestyle choice...you dont have to, but you do.

I commend your wife for wanting a husband but giving up motorcycling would mean you take up walking and maybe get run over by a bus or pedal cycling and get stabbed by some mugger. But if you had been riding your motorbike you would be at home having dinner with your wife (you get where im going with this).

There will always be a SMIDSY for car or bike, but how often do you get home after actually enjoying your ride/commute home? It makes you a better person surely :p

Last edited:

dazzor

Tough one this.

My wife would "prefer" it if I stopped biking.....we've been together 10/11 years; I've been biking 26.

About 3/4 years ago we started a family, I then had a spill about a year or so ago (had a few) my eldest boy was old enough to be upset when he saw his Dad in plaster and a cut-up leg. I stopped riding and got a train to work.....I lasted 3 months before I capitulated to my longing to get back on two wheels.

The last accident wasn't my fault, the third party paid out in a matter of weeks. Point being we are somewhat at the mercy of others on the road.

Not sure there's a point to my little story other than being true to yourself is all we have. Personally I hold dear the notion I do what I can to mitigate my risks whilst on two wheels.....hi-viz gear, ABS on my forthcoming MT07, riding style, attitude towards riding...and so on.

I could talk for hours about this, if you want a chat, PM me and we can swap numbers....happy to do that.

All the best

Darren

Last edited:

sdrio

My wife insisted.

We moved to the UK from South America, where I had a bike, about 6 years ago. I spent 6 months going to work on the tube. She could see how miserable I was and more or less said "Will you please go and get a bike, you grumpy bugger!".

Er, OK then!

Ralph

I'm in the same boat wife makes sure I have a bike. Just make sure you ride within your capabilities and treat all other road users as homicidal maniacs

dazzor

My wife insisted.

We moved to the UK from South America, where I had a bike, about 6 years ago. I spent 6 months going to work on the tube. She could see how miserable I was and more or less said "Will you please go and get a bike, you grumpy bugger!".

Er, OK then!
Ha ha, pretty much the same scenario for me, minus the immigration bit. Whilst wifey would ideally like me off bikes, she'd only want that if it was an innate choice I made and was happy with....me being me means more to her.

Sold the 07 yet? If so, what the new ride?

Darren

If we were all worried about all the risks in life then we wouldn't do anything......sometimes the most enjoyable things in life comes with the most danger but life is about living! Old saying is you might get run over by a bus tomorrow! If you enjoy riding then there is your answer!

DaZ.....

roama119

when i first met my wife i used to do a lot of road and stage rallying. the first time she brought up the many weekends away i had, i told her " i was rallying before i met you, i will be rallying now im with you and i will be rallying when your gone" Its now 16 years later we are still happily together. I dont do so much rallying these days due to mal de nav but she did agree to me getting the bike for my speed fix lol

sdrio

Ha ha, pretty much the same scenario for me, minus the immigration bit. Whilst wifey would ideally like me off bikes, she'd only want that if it was an innate choice I made and was happy with....me being me means more to her.

Sold the 07 yet? If so, what the new ride?
Not yet. I'm too lazy. I will have a few quid next month, I might look at trading it in. Still tempted to grab a new MT03 while they're still around, but given they do the same thing it would probably be a stupid thing to do and I'd end up moaning on an MT03 forum :D

Still doing it, for the record. Just past 3,000 miles, has crapped out twice in traffic this week.

dazzor

Not yet. I'm too lazy. I will have a few quid next month, I might look at trading it in. Still tempted to grab a new MT03 while they're still around, but given they do the same thing it would probably be a stupid thing to do and I'd end up moaning on an MT03 forum :D

Still doing it, for the record. Just past 3,000 miles, has crapped out twice in traffic this week.
You will stab yourself in the eye with a rusty spoon if you another yam and it plays up, h ha.

What else is an option?

robodene

Get the DVD of the film 'Bucket List' and settle in together with it one evening. By the end, she will realise that some things just cannot be left out of life (it IS too short). It worked for me - from no bike to bike on the drive within three weeks.
But promise her to (and do it) take all possible precautions while you're riding.

jeppebm

Keep the bike, if she really loves you she will let you do what you love.

My girlfriend doesnt like bikes - not hating them as much as your wife does, but then again - my friends arent crashing like yours is. Maybe your friends are more reckless than most of us are? ;) Just a thought. Can hardly be an coincedence - no offense - im just saying.

Use to your defense that you can control most of the outcome of a situation if you are not driving like a maniac. MAYBE!!!!!! even invite her on a ride when you feel comfortable?

xt660isgood2

Here's my dilemma, spent 6 months getting my license, then waiting for ages for the MT to be delivered, for my wife now wants me to sell the bike. The reason for this, since I started my license training, one friend came off his bike snapped his arm, whilst already disabled in his other arm from a previous crash, for another friend to completely wipe out on Saturday and is now minus a finger, arm pinned like i-robot and many operations to go. This is not to mention another friend who got rammed into railings and has a fused leg!

The wife is concerned its only a matter of time, before i crash(fecking hope not) and she wants the bike gone, I love it and the sense of freedom, but for her to be worried every time I go out, is a bit unfair.

So do I sell it and be done or keep it knowing she ain't happy; with my dinner, going in the dog some nights!?
This is probably going to sound a bit flippant “not meant to be” but will she give up chocolate? Or whatever her favourite thing is she does?
As we all know, the older you get the more of your friends/family die in many different circumstances. My best mate died in a bike crash when we were both 20.
But the rest are now in their 50’s and still alive.
If you ask me….and you have… Get rid of the wife and fit a akro to the mt and blast away!!! Life’s just too short

badger27

i got myself a small ped to get to work. really liked riding it and said to my wife i was thinking about taking the bike test .it cost a fair bit of money but we found the cash and i took it . i then started looking for a big bike try to keep the cost down i was looking at a crb 600 for less than £2000 then the reports started about the MT07 went and looked at one i loved it but way more than i planned on spending. Even took my wife up to look at a few bikes . then she turned to me and said." are you going to be careful on this bike ?if you are then buy the one you really want . you work hard you dont ask for much and every penny you earn you spend on me and the kids .... go and put money to the MT 07.dont argue with enjoy " i put a deposit down a month before i took the mod2 . i'm not saying do what you like but if it means that much to you i'm sure she'll come round .

xt660isgood2

I think we maybe getting in to a whole world of stuff here. So I am well out. mars and venus etc good luck.....we all love ladys x

loneranger

Like XT660isGood says, fit an Akra when you have sold her with the proceeds. You should make £780 by selling her and probably have some change left over for some Yamalube etc