Trip computer

Nuggets

The exhaust popping on the over-run is usual, it's not a problem with the engine and it's not a backfire which is usually due to timing issues and is a sudden bang. I can't remember the exact explanation for the popping (something to do with unburnt fuel in the exhaust on the over-run and hot gas expansion) but its common and in fact It sounds even better if you fit an akropovic, take the baffle out and head for the nearest tunnel! If you don't want the popping then don't roll off the throttle suddenly or engine brake heavily (same thing I guess). Otherwise enjoy it!

interesting read on decel popping

Last edited:

FrostHazer

it's supposed to spray gas even with closed throtle, if it didnt the engine would cut out...it cant work without fuel...that's why if you pull the clutch a little with no gas at all the bike moves...if you let the bike with the engine running the gas will run out eventualy after a day or something...now idk if 2.5 is normal i havent checked mine...

Nuggets

it's supposed to spray gas even with closed throtle, if it didnt the engine would cut out...it cant work without fuel...that's why if you pull the clutch a little with no gas at all the bike moves...if you let the bike with the engine running the gas will run out eventualy after a day or something...now idk if 2.5 is normal i havent checked mine...
Might be worth reading up on deceleration fuel shut off (DFSO) on the over-run most modern engines cut fuelling entirely with flywheel inertia / vehicle kinetic energy turning the engine over, only when you throttle up is fuel introduced again to produce power. Your example is of the engine idling which is a different circumstance.

FrostHazer

Might be worth reading up on deceleration fuel shut off (DFSO) on the over-run most modern engines cut fuelling entirely with flywheel inertia / vehicle kinetic energy turning the engine over, only when you throttle up is fuel introduced again to produce power. Your example is of the engine idling which is a different circumstance.
hmm..i didnt know about DFSO, it makes sense..but even when the throtle is closed in all vehicles i've ever riden/driven/been in, the engine sounds like (and is) burning fuel...

Last edited: