Tank sticker removal

nobull

Any tips on removing that black/orange tank sticker on left tank cover panel? Clear plastic layer peeled off but not the layer below when I tried, admittedly was v cold yesterday but looks like the adhesives gonna put up quite a fight. Anyone tried petrol, or any other ideas?? Thanks

Gee

Heat it up with an hair dryer to soften the glue and pull gently, remove any left over residue/glue with white spirit.

Noggie

I guess a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue before tearing off may be the way to go.
You are sadly beyond that now.

You could try to get some sitrus cleaner, should take it off just fine.

Got a girlfriend? Wait untill she's out, and find her nail polish remover, this is bacically acetone and works great on glue.
Rinse with plenty of water when you are done as it may damage or discolour plastic if left.
Goes for both products.

Should put some polish on it when you are done as these will leave your paint dry and exposed.

da1kini

Any tips on removing that black/orange tank sticker on left tank cover panel? Clear plastic layer peeled off but not the layer below when I tried, admittedly was v cold yesterday but looks like the adhesives gonna put up quite a fight. Anyone tried petrol, or any other ideas?? Thanks
I did the exact same mistake. And I also waited to long, so I have a darker rectangle from where the sticker was. Rest of the tank is some what sun bleached. BUT I did get the glue residue of with petrol without damaging the plastic. But do not get it on the Yamaha logo as it will start melting away immediately.

Phil_B

WD40 will help you get the sticker residue of without being too harsh Still takes a little patience which is better than scratching your pride and joy!

A decent gentle polish like Autoglym super resin polish will clean up the paint fine after that and you'll never know it was there.

Daikini, a little go with something like that will sort your sun bleaching no probs too.

Last edited:

nobull

I've only messed up the corners so far. Thanks guys, i'll give petrol after hairdryer a go first, i'd already thought about the yam logo problem so may remove the panel & turn it upside down first, or cover it with some insulation tape.If that doesn't work i'll give the other solvents a go - but the laquer on the tank must be petrol resistant if nothing else was my reasoning, plus I know it works great on tar etc.

Torque

Like you the clear layer came off leaving the rest of the gunk behind. I used a hairdryer to soften and white spirit to get the rest off. Finally a thorough rinse with water and it was perfect.

Black Sheep

I guess a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue before tearing off may be the way to go.
You are sadly beyond that now.

You could try to get some sitrus cleaner, should take it off just fine.

Got a girlfriend? Wait untill she's out, and find her nail polish remover, this is bacically acetone and works great on glue.
Rinse with plenty of water when you are done as it may damage or discolour plastic if left.
Goes for both products.

Should put some polish on it when you are done as these will leave your paint dry and exposed.
Acetone is a bit of a killer where plastics are concerned, one way to ensure not too much hairdryer heat is to play it on the sticker at same time as you are picking it off, so your finger auto-limits the amount of heat.
WD40 is OK but the goo spreads, so had to finish off with a careful dose of T-Cut to restore the shine