Steering wheel issue

MentaLMinD

Hello everyone here!:)

I have the MT-07 six months about and i have a small issue with the steering wheel.

The issue with the steering wheel is just a little bit twisted to the right, that was existed from the date of purchase (brand new bike).

I went to Yamaha dealer but said me this is not an important issue so we have nothing to fix, but in my opinion this is an issue and would be nice to fix.

I tried to loosened and tightened all pinch bolts on the upper/lower steering brackets and on the wheel, but haven't had any effect.

Is there any suggestions for how to completely straighten the steering wheel?

Thank's in advance.

sdrio

I think we're talking about handlebars!

There's a certain amount of movement in the bars anyway, as they're mounted in rubber, but if they're really off then either the bars are bent, or something's wrong with the steering geometry / forks. Having said that, if the dealer says they're OK, how far are we talking about?

Is it possible, and I happily admit this is a stupid idea - that your old bike was twisted to the left, and the new one seems strange?

Only time I've ever really had a bike with bars not straight was when I dropped the thing. Assuming the MT07 hasn't been dropped, did you ride one that had been before?

MentaLMinD

I think we're talking about handlebars!

There's a certain amount of movement in the bars anyway, as they're mounted in rubber, but if they're really off then either the bars are bent, or something's wrong with the steering geometry / forks. Having said that, if the dealer says they're OK, how far are we talking about?

Is it possible, and I happily admit this is a stupid idea - that your old bike was twisted to the left, and the new one seems strange?

Only time I've ever really had a bike with bars not straight was when I dropped the thing. Assuming the MT07 hasn't been dropped, did you ride one that had been before?
Yeah we are talking about handlebars/steering wheel.

Should be something wrong with the forks i thing, maybe the upper bracket with the lower isn't completely straight, or something similar.

When u ride the bike just straight, u will see the handlebars is a little bit towards to the right, but the bike going straight.

The bike of course have never been dropped, as i said on the first post, that issue existed from the date of purchase (brand new bike).

Last edited:

sdrio

Yeah we are talking about handlebars/steering wheel.

Should be something wrong with the forks i thing, maybe the upper bracket with the lower isn't completely straight, or something similar.

When u ride the bike just straight, u will see the handlebars is a little bit towards to the right, but the bike going straight.

The bike of course have never been dropped, as i said on the first post, that issue existed from the date of purchase (brand new bike).
How far out is it though? Given the way the forks are held to the bike, you'd need to have some serious issues for the handlebars to be noticeably off of centre. I'm not doubting what you say, only that if the thing is that badly deformed, I can't see how the dealer could tell you it's not important.

Oh, and just because it was brand new, doesn't mean it hasn't been dropped. I'm sure your dealers are 100% honest, but some dealers are absolute shitbags.

MentaLMinD

How far out is it though? Given the way the forks are held to the bike, you'd need to have some serious issues for the handlebars to be noticeably off of centre. I'm not doubting what you say, only that if the thing is that badly deformed, I can't see how the dealer could tell you it's not important.

Oh, and just because it was brand new, doesn't mean it hasn't been dropped. I'm sure your dealers are 100% honest, but some dealers are absolute shitbags.
It is about 3-5 degrees off.

All dealers that i have meet here they are all dickheads.

sdrio

It is about 3-5 degrees off.

All dealers that i have meet here they are all dickheads.
Hah, and there I was, being all diplomatic!

That sounds wrong. Although I also bought my bike from dickheads, I wouldn't have accepted that as 'normal'.

sdrio

To see the issue i must ride the bike and treading it in the road with camera.
Something not possible for me.
Just take a photo while sitting stationary. Hold the camera up above you, and point it at the clocks.

Unless we've misunderstood the problem, it should be possible to see the front wheel at <>90 degrees to the bars.

You could also measure from the bar end to the middle of the front tyre on both sides - if something is out, the two distances will be different.

robodene

I had bars pointing northwest after a drop. The workshop guy stood astride the front wheel (me on the bike) and he gave bars a few knocks to straighten them. There is some looseness to allow for crash absorption, apparently. All well after that.

bobh

It's definitely not right.

If you can't get any sense out of the dealers there, write to Yamaha Europe in Holland. I had a problem with yamaha France and they got me my money back.

Godd luck!

Simoncrp

I parked my bike today in a slightly vulnerable position. After work, when starting off and travelling down the street i realised that my handlebars were definitely not straight anymore. They are twisted to the right about an inch off. I can still ride it but it's not very comfortable! Somebody has obviously knocked my bike down and then picked it up without leaving their details. Is it an expensive/complicated exercise to repair?

robodene

I had that after a bike drop. The engineer stood astride the front wheel and with his hands knocked the bars back into place. He told me there is always some movement possible, and it's designed to take some shock and minimise front end damage, he said.

sdrio

I parked my bike today in a slightly vulnerable position. After work, when starting off and travelling down the street i realised that my handlebars were definitely not straight anymore. They are twisted to the right about an inch off. I can still ride it but it's not very comfortable! Somebody has obviously knocked my bike down and then picked it up without leaving their details. Is it an expensive/complicated exercise to repair?
It's possible it's just misaligned, and can be sorted with a rubber mallet.

If something major is bent, then it could be an insurance claim.

I'd check the bars first, do a bit of measuring, it's possible the right side has been bent where it hit the ground. That'll cost you £40 for a new pair.

Ralph

Were the forks go through the clamps there is a pinch bolt loosening these slightly will make
it easier to twist them straight, but don't loosen to much just a touch or the fork's could drop through the
clamps, remember to retighten after, they twist as it's easier to twist the fork in the clamps than
bend the forks, it's a bit of a black art to get them right and the smallest movement makes a big difference,
mine was very slightly out from new you could not see anything but feel it on the road.

Simoncrp

I don't think the handlebars are bent. I think they are misaligned. Because I've now had to adjust my left mirror towards me and the right mirror away from me. This shows that the handlebars as a whole are twisted.

MentaLMinD

Yes, it's all about missalignment, nothing is bent.

It may need to support the bike on the lift stand and reassemble the whole front.