Sports Handlebars?

Blackwater

PTDC0003 (2).jpg
Not too comfortable but super fun in the corners and a lot harder to get a wheelie
PTDC0014 (2).jpg
The throttle tube assembly was pulled back 45 degrees
PTDC0009.jpg
I can see behind me now
PTDC0079.jpg
Any further back and they would hit the tank

Blackwater

Yes they look goofy but in a corner they are a good time, everywhere ells not too fun its like a Handlebar mustache it perfect for the one special occasion. heineken_light_the_handlebar_moustache.jpg

Blackwater

uuhmhmmmmmm those handlebars... uuuhrmm are u rly serious with those bars? :)
Quote Originally Posted by Alex_AC View Post
what about this? it's for the mt-09 but it should work for the mt-07 ...

A more aggressive riding position? - Page 5

I had seen the above post before I joined then I had seen the bars when I went to get a track suit. They threw in the bars for $10 its my first bike and I just needed to see what it was like on the other side of the tracks from motard bars to cafe racer....ok more like Tron.

RichMT

I've now fitted my smoked and 'personalised' smoke flyscreen and GPS mount alongside my GoPro mount. It all fits nicely with the ultra lows...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Torque

RichMT/And30ers

Would either of you be prepared to write a mini-tutorial on fitting the Renthal ultra lows? It's a mod I'd also like to do to get a bit more weight over the front end. I know you've both given the odd snippet of information but I'm just a tad nervous removing switchgear/throttle/brake/clutch so a guide with any gotchas would be great. Eternally grateful, etc, etc... :)

D

Deleted member 20

Short version -- it's dead simple.
If you are in doubt if you are handy-man enought for the task you can practice before you purchase the new bars:

1. remove clocks 2 bolts.
2. remove right hand side bar weight
3. loosen hand right side brake/mirror clamp and throttle/switch blob.
4. loosen stock bar 4 bolts a bit.
5. slide the bars a bit left and right hand controls a bit right.
6. slide back again and get every thing back in place and tightend.

If you master this part, you would most likely master the lot.

Only tricky bit is to get the left hand side mirror clamp back onto the new Renthal bar since left hand grip area of the Renthals is structured. You have to fiddle/force it a bit since it's a very tight fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donut

RichMT/And30ers

Would either of you be prepared to write a mini-tutorial on fitting the Renthal ultra lows? It's a mod I'd also like to do to get a bit more weight over the front end. I know you've both given the odd snippet of information but I'm just a tad nervous removing switchgear/throttle/brake/clutch so a guide with any gotchas would be great. Eternally grateful, etc, etc... :)
One of the hardest parts is drilling the holes in the new Renthals as they are pretty thick - have a good battery in your drill and drill pilot holes first as it's a lot easier.

Where abouts are you, if you're close enough am willing to show you and you can see mine first hand before you try yours to see if it's any better. I'm in Berkshire.

RichMT

... Only tricky bit is to get the left hand side mirror clamp back onto the new Renthal bar since left hand grip area of the Renthals is structured. You have to fiddle/force it a bit since it's a very tight fit.
I used a smear of neat washing up liquid and it worked on fine. When it dries, it's sticky too so ensures a solid grip.

Personally, I found the most fiddly bit was getting the holes right for the positioning pins on the switchgear. I found the best way was to fit the bars in the position you want them and then use a mini craft drill like a dremmel to make indents in the bars. Mine are more like slots than holes so there is a little room for adjustment. The bar walls are that thick That I didn't even have to go all the way through. Of course the easiest way to do it is remove the blips on the switchgear but I wanted to retain them in case I ever put the standard bars back on and want them where Yamaha intended!

Edit: I hadn't read the last post from the early hours of this morning from Donut but I hope my contribution is still useful! :cool:

Last edited:

Torque

All very useful thanks guys. I'll be looking at doing this mod soon.

Donut, I'm a bit far away in Derbyshire, but thanks very much for the offer :)

SirLightyear

Hey guys, so eventually I baught the WRP Alu-street low. And I couldn't be happier. The bike is a lot more nimble and I feel a lot less wind resistance. Also conering is improved. Here are some photos:2015-05-25 21.07.04.jpg2015-05-25 21.07.11.jpg2015-05-25 21.08.07.jpg2015-05-25 21.09.22.jpg2015-05-25 21.10.02.jpg2015-05-26 18.23.37.jpg2015-05-26 18.23.46.jpg2015-05-26 18.24.00.jpg

jeppebm

Hey guys, so eventually I baught the WRP Alu-street low. And I couldn't be happier. The bike is a lot more nimble and I feel a lot less wind resistance. Also conering is improved. Here are some photos:View attachment 1916View attachment 1917View attachment 1918View attachment 1919View attachment 1920View attachment 1921View attachment 1922View attachment 1923
Best looking handlebar exchange for the MT 07 ive seen since last august.

Question - the breakinghouse and the gaschamber(gashousing) did you drill holes for the plastic "plugs" in them to fit the bar? or did you cut that off and just tightened them hard enough?
That could deside if i would buy those

SirLightyear

I drilled holes with help of my father. But I heard that just cutting the plugs and probably using double sided tape underneath should be enough

Blackwater

PTDC0024 (2).jpg All clutch side take off grip
PTDC0014 (3).jpg then unscrew the screws
PTDC0013 (4).jpg then the bolts
PTDC0010 (3).jpg brake side unscrew the screws
PTDC0011 (3).jpg then the bolts
all bolts and screws are loose only
PTDC0008 (3).jpg take those out
PTDC0012 (3).jpg then the bolts over the bars
move to one side than pull off each side one by one then the same but in reverse with new bars or for me the OEM you and grind down the pegs on the inside or don't tighten them down all the way
PTDC0022.jpg
If my way is wrong or stupid sorry I don't have a shop manual or commonsense ;)

Last edited:

bobh

I fitted Renthal ultra-lows to my Fazer8 - they are almost exactly the same profile as the original ones, but they save the odd Kg.

They don't have very much pullback, though, so might not suit the OP. The low ones are a bit higher but might be better in that respect.

I did shorten them by about 20 mm each side, and could have taken a little more without losing clearance for the switchgear etc. at full lock.

If you don't mind chrome finish, a pair of "ace" style café-racer drop bars, upside down, might work.