Sports Handlebars?

SirLightyear

Hi everyone,

I am trying to resolve my handlebar issue. I disliked the stock ones as I prefer more agressive style of riding and cornering. That is why I went with the LSL Handlebar. It is lower, a bit more set forward and with less pullback. However, as I ride, I think that it was a mistake and that I would actually prefer some kind of narrower handlebars with more pullback but still low and set a bit forward. Something like clip ons. I have trouble finding the right handlebars so could you guys give me a hand?

I was thinking of something like this but that is not possible with the display the MT-07 has.
$_12.JPG
$_57.JPG

Maybe the Ducati Streetfighter style would suit me? But I could not find similar handlebars :/
Ducati_Streetfighter_S_cockpit.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

SirLightyear

what about this? it's for the mt-09 but it should work for the mt-07 ...

A more aggressive riding position? - Page 5
Thank you for your reply. I have already considered these. They look well on the MT-09. However, the MT-07's rider's lean angle is more forward by default. Also the display would stand out a lot (that's why I wouldn't like the drag bars). As it is also in my oppinion it might be too low. But I might be wrong. I am not sure yet. I will reconsider them again.

RichMT

I do like the look of those bars in the first post. My two questions would be will the clocks fit between still and would tank clearance be ok too? If the answer was yes to both, I could see a set of black and red ones on my bike soon!

D

Deleted member 20

I have Renthal Road Ultra Low on the MT07, works great.

SirLightyear

I have Renthal Road Ultra Low on the MT07, works great.
I do know that. I have read your posts and seen the pictures. I was deciding between the LSL and Renthal Ultra Low. Maybe I am going from extreme to another extreme. It is possible that I will find the handlebars I am looking for but I will be unhappy once again and will actually settle with the Ultra Lows...

jeppebm

What info do i need to know about the requirements for the handlebars for it to fit the MT07? i wanna have a lower position for the handlebars maybe even with a lower turned angle!....

RichMT

Got a nice parcel in the post today... Rental ultra low bars in anodised red finish. Can't wait to fit them.

So, here's a question. What's the best way to remove the left hand grip and fit it on the new bars?

D

Deleted member 20

To remove rubber grip: Use a long/thin screw driver or similar and spraying CRC 5.56 or WD40 as you press the tool in etc., push rubber inward and gently twist until it comes loose. When off, clean grip with soap and water. Readyto re-fit on new bars.

If you want to mark positions for holes for your controls, good idea is to lay both bars upside-down on a flat surface, making grip areas of both bars horizontally equal. Now you can mark your new bars for drilling new holes. Note that you have to consider grip area lenght in conjunction with your new bar end weights or what it it you want to use. Stock weights add some 15 mm width to the bars, most aftermarket weights fitting the Renthals will not add any width since they sit flat at the end of the bar. If you want to be advanced, you could thread tap the Renthals to accomodate stock weights. Think it's M16 and the hole inside the Rentals are about right for M16 taps (?).

Last edited by a moderator:

RichMT

... Note that you have to consider grip area lenght in conjunction with your new bar end weights or what it it you want to use. Stock weights add some 15 mm width to the bars, most aftermarket weights fitting the Renthals will not add any width since they sit flat at the end of the bar. If you want to be advanced, you could thread tap the Renthals to accomodate stock weights. Think it's M16 and the hole inside the Rentals are about right for M16 taps (?).
Thanks again for your help. I didn't know the bars were threaded and I also didn't know there were holes in the bars for the fittings!

I have decided to go for flush finish bar ends in a matching anodised red which won't require the thread to be cut in the new bars. One of the main reasons for this is that I don't want the bars to be wider than stock. I have a narrow space I have to get the bike through when it's at home and it just fits as it is. I'm hoping to do all the fitting over the coming weekend so will take pics of the finished job.

D

Deleted member 20

I have red bars and flush LighTech ends on my TDM in album above. Great combo.

RichMT

Got mine fitted now. Not sure if I got the angle correct but seems to be fine. Here's a couple of pics...

image.jpg

image.jpg

The small bracket to the left is a mount for my GoPro. I've also now got the GPS mount and smoked flyscreen to fit so that'll finish the front as I want it.

Just realised you can see my wife in the mirror in the first pic! :)

Last edited: