Smile :)

Torque

As a consequence of some recent threads discussing the negatives of the MT-07 (don't get me wrong they are very valid discussions e.g. rust) I thought we should redress the balance and remember what we love about this bike.

So name the first thing about the MT-07 that made you smile/giggle/laugh either at the showroom, test ride or after purchase.

For me it was on the test ride. Having established that this bike was fun to ride I suddenly noticed that ECO symbol on the display coming on sometimes. Guessing what it meant, it felt to me as if the bike was saying "you're having fun but just imagine how much more fun you'd have if you try and keep that ECO off". I responded by twisting the throttle and laughing out loud. In my mind it's as if the display has a FUN symbol that comes on when ECO goes off (it really would if I'd designed the display). :cool:

So there you go, it 'spoke' to me that day and I knew immediately I'd love this bike (warts and all).

Last edited:

rappetor

My smile started from the moment I started the engine on the test drive, and the smile stayed on the whole test drive (and after :)). And every other drive after that :)
It feels like the MT is made for my size, I love the engine sound (especially with the SC Project exhaust now), love it's low weight and manoeuvrability.

Coming from a 690 Duke I also love the smooth throttle, and being able to drive at the lower rpm's all the way up to the higher rpm's. The Duke did not like driving 30-50 km/h (was a bit jerky), and being a 1-cil it didn't like the lower rpm's -at all-. 2-cil is just the best :p

mike d

Good point. All bikes have their strengths and weaknesses. I think the 7 hits a spot that could put a smile on almost anyone's face, although, when I hear it referred to as a beginner bike, I cringe at the thought of a newbie accidentally grabbing a bunch of throttle in a turn. :eek:

Tommeke

I love the bike for her weight and consumption. Butt the first smile she gave me during test drive, the first time I throttled up on a long stretch of road...

rappetor

.. when I hear it referred to as a beginner bike, I cringe at the thought of a newbie accidentally grabbing a bunch of throttle in a turn. :eek:
Actually, that is a really big compliment for the bike. It's due to it's smooth handling (looong throttle :)) beginners can also ride it. But indeed, crank it open and it's quite different. Although still very manageable.

There is even a motorcycle school nearby that changed their old Hondas for like 10 MT 07's.

Noggie

Good point. All bikes have their strengths and weaknesses. I think the 7 hits a spot that could put a smile on almost anyone's face, although, when I hear it referred to as a beginner bike, I cringe at the thought of a newbie accidentally grabbing a bunch of throttle in a turn. :eek:
I almost wheelied it on my first little test, and I am a newbie.
Did not even give it much throttle, but that first gear is short and powerful.
Fortunately being "old and reasonable" I don't see much of a problem with this as my beginners bike.
Had I got this 20 years ago on the other hand, it may have been a different story.

tw586

I cant believe that that much torque can be made from that size engine at that low rpm. the CP2 works

Last edited:

gregjet

On the test ride I discovered that the rear suspension was ridiculously soggy, the front harsh, brakes mushy, despite magazine tests saying it had plenty of power it doesen't ( Aussie model only has 50HP thanks to yammy insulting us) and to corner you have to climb forward motard style to get the front wheel to grip. With ALL that, the bike FEELS good and the bike screams " I am a good bike, FIX me". This is the most interesting handling bike I have ridden for quite a while. It's potential to make a REALLY good ROAD bike ( maybe track bike I will reserve my judgement until I get it sorted). I just kept smiling after riding it . That and swearing at Yamaha for neutering if for the Aus and NZ LAMS market. I guess It was payback for Casey flogging the Yamahas in Motogp on a crap handling Ducati then on a Honda. This is the most excited I have been about a bike since my first NSR250 I bought to race. And I have been riding and racing for 42years.

MrSquidbeak

Agree i have had a moan about mine lately (on the rust thread), but at the end of the day the MT-07 is one of the most fun bikes i have ever owned. What an engine!!!

The first thing that made me smile was on the test ride. I had read the reviews and was looking for a new bike so thought i would do a test ride. Soon as i sat on the bike i thought this isnt going to be great the bikes so light like a 125cc its going to have no power. As i powered off down the road from the dealership with the front wheel lifting up off the road surface from all that torque power there was an instant smile :)
An hour and a half later i took it back to the dealer who meet me outside as i took my lid off he said "The smile tells me i done the right think by printer you the papers off for you t sign."
He was damn right! There and then i signed for my MT-07 in Deep Armour.

Had to wait ages foe it to come but soon as i picked it up and got on it for the first time that smile was right back on my face.
What a fun bike

sdrio

That ECO thing was perfectly summed up by a journalist who wrote a review of the bike;

"It has a useful ECO indicator to tell me when I'm not riding fast enough".

As for wheelies, there was a post here from a brand new owner who had accidentally wheelied himself off the back within 6 miles of picking the bike up, if I recall correctly. It certainly doesn't take much encouragement.

[edit] Here's the post.

http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/the-bar/187-crashes-post1555.html#post1555

Last edited:

rappetor

Any bike will take a ride with you and/or wheelie/flips out under you if you give it too much throttle and let off the clutch too quickly.. Well, anything with a little torque that is :)

But.. agreed, the MT-07 does seem to be a bit wheelie prone. Only had it a few times, usually I roll on the throttle pretty smoothly so I never have to deal with unwanted wheelies with the MT. But the reviewers always seem to have a lot of wheelie fun with the bike :)

sdrio

Any bike will take a ride with you and/or wheelie/flips out under you if you give it too much throttle and let off the clutch too quickly.. Well, anything with a little torque that is :)

But.. agreed, the MT-07 does seem to be a bit wheelie prone. Only had it a few times, usually I roll on the throttle pretty smoothly so I never have to deal with unwanted wheelies with the MT. But the reviewers always seem to have a lot of wheelie fun with the bike :)
I think it's some kind of law with bike reviewers that they must wheelie everything they get to test.

I got myself into a little bit of bother when I took my 10 year old daughter for an ice cream one Sunday on the back of mine, and was playing silly buggers lifting the front wheel up. She casually mentioned it to my wife when we got home, and I was given a rather stern lecture.

My 4 year old seemed puzzled about this . . . and asked 'Why is Daddy getting told off for doing a wee-wee?'

xt660isgood2

Have to agree with all of the above.
But the first time I sat on one and was able to get both feet flat on the ground on a 600cc+ bike sold it for me. Everything else after that was a bonus!!

gregjet

The wheelie problem is a problem of the rearward weight bias, made worse by the really soft rear shock spring. With a torque motor like this, that is the result. BTW gearing UP would also help control it ( bigger front sprocket and/or smaller rear). Certainly wouldn't hurt the low speed smoothness much.

rappetor

Having owned a 690 Duke where I needed a O2 controller (to get rid of the throttle 'surging') ánd a smaller front sprocket to make it rideable. The MT-07 is buttery smooth if you ask me :)
Although with all the torque and all it could use a bigger front sprocket, So perhaps when in need for a new set of sprockets and chain I might change that.. Always good to have some ideas for the future :p

CVSensei

Gregjet, could you explain in simple terms how that would make a difference? The wheelie problem has been my only real concern about moving up to this.. Ragged a 125 round for a year and I'm relatively small and light (bout 70kg 5'10 ish) so this was kinda intimidating. I'm sure I'd have no problem once i get used to it but if I could prevent unintentional wheelies that would be great :) However what effect would the above mod have on the actual performance of the bike, don't want to sacrifice anything!

rappetor

Easy, imagine yourself driving off in second gear. Instead of first gear. In what gear do you think you are more likely to wheelie?
Changing to a bigger front sprocket (or smaller back sprocket) changes the final drive (ratio). It could help with a 'snappy' first gear for example. Your gears will get 'longer' and less intense if you get my drift (non english speaker here lol :)).

Going the other way, have a look at those stunt bikes. They usually have a huge back sprocket. So they can easily lift the front and/or do burnouts etc. Drives like crap on the street, but for their purpose it's all good.

All that being said, doesn't the MT-07 also powerwheelie in second and third gear? Maybe you can 'soften' it a bit with another sprocket combination. But then it still wants to go. I'd say you just have to learn to be smooth on the throttle and clutch :)
I don't drive like a sissy (usually 'like I stole it' kinda style..), and I rarely experience a wheelie with the bike. And before it wheelies I can usually feel when it start to do it, so act on it immediately. The throttle is pretty smooth and so is the engine, it's not the kind of bike that goes out of control just like that and you have unintentional wheelies all the time.

Just don't drive it like a 125 lol :p

edit, hmm, according to the gearingcommander website changing your front to a 17 sprocket is even better for sprocket & chain wear.. Although that's all theory :)

Last edited:

CVSensei

Thanks for that, makes a lot of sense. Well it sounds like I should just get used to it rather than change the spirit of the bike.. From everything I've heard it's that low end power that really makes this bike what it is :) I don't even have it yet (20th of March hopefully) so I should really just wait and try for myself, but thanks for the info and reassurance :D

I think I have just been mentally scarred by my two dirt bike experiences when I was a little kid.. Both times I had no idea what I was doing and revved the bike over my head into a bush.. Twice :cool: