Removal of tank plastics

Donut

Before I get medieval on the tank plastics is anyone either local me (Bracknell in Berkshire UK) and able to show me how to remove the plastics around the tank or able to offer advice on their removal.

I've undone/removed the central black plastic strip and removed what I believe to be all the screws on the left hand side (as you sit on the bike), including the ones under the seat and the 1 inboard by the head-stock/radiator but although loose the plastics don't want to come away.

Is there a grommet or two that just need some gentle persuasion to let go with a bit of pulling or am I missing something like having to remove both sides.

As an aside although both screws came out of the seat ok, only the right hand side would go back in straight and I had to run a tap through the thread on the left hand side in order to get the bolt back in at the correct angle. So just a word of warning in case others find the same and risk cross threading the bolt (I did check the thread on the bolt first as easier to replace that, than to drill and re-tap the thread hole in the frame if cross threaded).

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Last edited:

Ralph

If you look along the top were the screws are under the trim you can see there are tabs
and also the same going under along that strip you have to gently prise the top ones
up a little and press were the others are and it will come off it is held by 2 grommets but
they don't have that much of a grip, crap description but have a look see if it makes sense.

balki

1. remove seat
2. remove steel bar above battery (that the seat hooks into)
3. remove plastic rivet ( push straight down on the pin side -inside - as the centre pin spreads the rivet to hold it in place)
4. remove tank centre strip (1 screw - slide and lift down towards seat - hooks in at the top )
5. remove 5 screws ( 1 @ rear seat - 2 under tank centre strip - 1 @ front high up - 1 @ rear knee level)
6. pop out the 3 mounting bars from their gromets - lower edge(front middle and rear - start with the one by the seat - same mounting bars that all side mount battery covers tend to have - plastic post that pops through a rubber gromet)
7. lift clips at top edge ( gentle lift and wiggle and off it pops)

More info and some relevent pics here
Auxilliary DC Power Connector? | Yamaha MT-07 FZ-07 Forum

nobull

Don't forget the 2 push release clips under the back of the tank panels, ie on the left its just above & infront of the key hole for the pillion seat release.I didn't remove the bar above the battery. There are hidden plugs & grommits, pull the panels outwards to release these. The difficult tabs are the ones just behind the filler cap attaching the central panel to the outer panels, I found these a complete b@#*^$d to remove even with the official workshop manual, all the rest came easily for me. I found easiest way was to release everything other than these tabs just behind filler, then remove all 3 panels upwards as one to prevent damage to the tabs(which would then prevent the panels from sitting flush). Good luck!
Oh and I had exactly the same problem with the left hand seat nut as you! If it strips again i'm taking the seat retainer bracket off & welding a new (decent quality!) nut in place, the "quality" of the original takes the piss, I was very careful not to strip it in the first place having read lots of reports. I'm thinking cheddar would be a stronger replacement

balki

Theres no real need to remove the battery bar but it does make it easier to see the plastic rivets
A little tip for the center top clips
For the clip nearest the seat - press down on the centre piece as you lift the side panel
For the one nearest the filler cap - lever the clasp you can see with your fingernails and pray (thats the one that always sounds and feels like its going to break)

rappetor

Pushing the centre piece down to 'unclip' the side panel is key. It becomes so much easier after that. Push the centre piece down, and pull the side cover up (so you work in both directions).

I recently installed a quickshifter and had all the plastic pieces removed (and the tank etc). Should have made some pictures and perhaps a small how-to. Damn, should force myself to do that next time! Removed the side panels a few times now, and it can (should) all be done without much force and fear of something breaking.

Donut

Thanks for help everyone. Managed it today and even found the auxiliary plug to wire in the sat nav.