MT 70 Comparison MPG?

Neddog

Hi All,
I am currently riding a Honda CB 500X – had it over two years and it’s been a brilliant bike. I use it for commuting so was looking for something that had good fuel economy and was easy to handle and maneuverer in town traffic. The X ticks all those boxes plus it’s as comfortable as sitting on a sofa on long journeys. About two months ago one of my mates purchased the MT 70 and since then hasn’t stopped enthusing about how good it is. Eventually, after listening to him banging on about it for weeks I decided to test ride one myself at my local Yamaha dealer in Bedfordshire. I had it out for two hours last Wednesday and have to say I understand why my mate rates this bike so highly. It was extremely easy to manoeuvre, felt lighter than my 500, and was great fun to ride. I didn’t want to get off it!! I am now seriously considering selling my X and getting the MT. However fuel economy is important to me due to my commute so would like to ask what sort of MPG are you getting from your MT? I am currently getting an average 65mpg from the X but obviously it depends how hard I ride it. It has a 17.3 litres tank and I normally average about 250 miles between fuel stops. I know the MT has a smaller 14 litre tank, (which in reviews is one its few criticisms) so I would be stopping more frequently however Yamaha claim you can average 68mpg (probably if you do a constant 50mph and don’t gun it!) So was wondering what your experience with MPG is on your MT? – also regarding the comfort of the seat on longer journeys?
Thanks in advance.

Noggie

Mine sits around 4,3l/100km, and that is me not giving consumption a thought at all, so I'm not trying to save fuel in any way.
That appears to convert to 68mpg imperial (UK), and 54,7mpg US.
So I would guess they end up around the same
On a long cruise at steady speeds (80-100km/h) I had mine down at 3,9l/100km, 72mpg imperial, so it is possible to run this bike quite cheap.

Can't really comment on the seat as I have the comfort seat option. But that is quite comfy, riding for a few hours between stops is not a problem, I once spent about 7 hours on it in a day (300km) and that was no problem at all.
I mean it was nice to get of it, but could easily have continued half an hour later. And felt nothing that evening or the following day.

sdrio

Depends on the conditions.

68 is probably the best you'll get, under optimum conditions. If you're in traffic, expect low 50s, maybe 55 on a good day.

That'll give you about 140-150 miles on a tank, including reserve.

It's never going to beat your 500..

The seat is not great. Depends on your own weight I guess, but at just under 100kg, I find an hour is about when it starts gettng uncomfortable.

triple trouble

Yes we have seen up near the 60's. Mainly around 56-58 I think. And that's from doing around 90 Dyno runs with all the taps wide open. It's a bloody good little engine to be honest.

Jarod

Just check consumption from fuelio or spritmonitor - more bikes meaning average is more adequate

Neddog

Thanks for the info Noggie! and other who have replied to my original inquiry - after your updates I am now seriously considering getting an MT.

Noggie

I just went out to have a look.
Mine now sits at 4.2l/100km.
I have never zeroed it, and the bike has done 2460km.

I will say I dont do much city and rush hour driving, so this is mostly me playing around on country roads.
Also find myself in 3rd and 4th most of the time, 5th on the straighter roads, hardly ever use 6th unless I'm on a motorway, and I try to avoid those, rather take the longer fun roads, than the monotonous motorways.

TJ63

The worst mpg for my MT is 62, the best (so far) is 71.

I should be doing a couple of long runs this month, so I'll see what happens then.

POG

Ive had my MT exactly 1 year today, I've recorded my fuel consumption from day 1 (yes i know its sad). My max is 68mpg and worst 33mpg. total average over 7800 miles is 58mpg

DJP

I've logged every fill with fuelly (yes, I'm sad!) and over 10,000 miles I've averaged 59mpg.

That's 50/50 commuting and fun and I don't ride for economy - if I did, 60+ mpg would easily be doable.

Jarod

I've logged every fill with fuelly (yes, I'm sad!) and over 10,000 miles I've averaged 59mpg.

That's 50/50 commuting and fun and I don't ride for economy - if I did, 60+ mpg would easily be doable.
Mine car has 170000km done, every single fueling written and added for statistics :)
Mt-07 - 4,09 l/100km but i'm driving reaaaly slowly

sdrio

Interestingly, over the last couple of months I have been doing my advanced drivers qualification, and the change in riding style that requires has had a significant effect on fuel consumption. I'm riding 'advanced' all the time, to get into the habit.

I'm getting about 5mpg more than I would normally get, which is just under a 10% improvement.

Fruppzor

Here is a list of my consumption figures from 700km to 2100km on the ODO

4,6 l/100km
4,8 l/100km
4,5 l/100km
4,0 l/100km
4,1 l/100km

I drive mostly on curvy backroads at speeds 60-130 km/h

NEloi

If you reset your ODO every refill it doesn't stabilize enough to give you good readings.

That's what I found so far, resetting gives me 4.5l/100Km and that doesn't add up with me putting 10l and doing 280Kms

On the other hand if I do 4000Kms between resets, then I get a pretty good reading of 3.6l/100Kms

Just be careful with one thing, at around 4300Kms, your avr consumption will jump to 99l/100Kms, some internal variable reaching its limit and going back to zero.

sdrio

If you reset your ODO every refill it doesn't stabilize enough to give you good readings.

That's what I found so far, resetting gives me 4.5l/100Km and that doesn't add up with me putting 10l and doing 280Kms

On the other hand if I do 4000Kms between resets, then I get a pretty good reading of 3.6l/100Kms

Just be careful with one thing, at around 4300Kms, your avr consumption will jump to 99l/100Kms, some internal variable reaching its limit and going back to zero.
Yup, someone else pointed this out, it's actually 4,296 km.

"Apparently the AVE fuel usage uses a 32bit unsigned integer to keep the distance in millimeters. Once that overflows it will show 99,9L/100km.

2^32 = 4,294,967,296mm = 4296km. "

[edit] Just to get max nerd points, this is the same number, which for more or less the same reason limited earlier versions of MS windows to using 4gb of RAM.

Last edited:

Fruppzor

That is some nerdy facts there sdrio. Love it! :D

I would like to ad that the fuel tank on the MT-07 does not hold 14 liters as Yamaha claims. This has been discussed in other treads but I will give my view on this here since its consumption related :)

A couple of weeks ago I decided to test how far I could go on the reserve before I ran out of fuel and I managed 70,0 km before it stopped.

I carried with me a 1 liter bottle of fuel so I could get back to a gas station and fill up. The distance from where I ran out and the station was 7,1 km and when I filled the bike all the way to the top (sitting on the bike holding it vertically) I got 12,21 liters into it.

That should mean that the tank is 13 liter not 14 as Yamaha says...