Mt-07 Mods: Review and questions.

Wanderfound

I've had my MT for a few weeks now, so I've had enough time to get an impression of the mods I've added.

1) Radiator screen. Easy, cheap, and to judge by the number of dings the radiator already had (it's an ex-demo bike), necessary.

2) Oxford heated grips. Warm hands are always a worthwhile bike accessory; they make the whole motorcycle experience a lot more pleasant. I had two issues with the Oxfords, though:

(a) The mechanic who installed them chose the bolt for the controller, then decided that it needed a spacer. As a result, the bolt only engaged a millimetre or two of thread. So, when I reinstalled it after painting the chrome controller mount black, it stripped the thread. A longer bolt fixed that.

(b) The left-hand grip is loose on the bar, especially in hot weather. This is a problem, as the cable can foul the clutch if it rotates too far forwards. Any suggestions on the best glue to secure it? It takes a fair amount of twisting torque during hard acceleration.

3) OEM rack and topbox. Love it; very roomy, very solid, good pillion handles (the MT is a remarkably good pillion bike for something so light and sporty, BTW). You do need to be careful closing it, though; it's easy to think that the lid is locked shut when it isn't.

4) OEM frame and axle sliders. Nice looking, but untested (and should hopefully stay that way). Anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth adding the crankcase guards to that? It looks like the frame and axle bobbins might have made them redundant, but I'm not keen on laying the bike over to check.

5) M-Factory mirror risers. Transformed the otherwise useless mirrors. Very worthwhile.

6) Screen: nope. By nakedbike standards, the windblast is actually minimal. I've had it up to 185km/h without trouble beyond a bit of noise; motorway cruising at 140km/h is no problem either. Earplugs are strongly recommended, though.

Noggie

good list.

As for the grips I installed Oxford grips myself, and they are basically super glued on.
Guess your options are either to try and pull them off and re-glue them.
or try to get some glue in there some other way.

mirror risers, that's a good idea, would be nice to see a picture of those.
I can see a bit out of my left one, but the right one is useless. I have actually considered bar-end mirrors.

Wanderfound

good list.

As for the grips I installed Oxford grips myself, and they are basically super glued on.
Guess your options are either to try and pull them off and re-glue them.
or try to get some glue in there some other way.

mirror risers, that's a good idea, would be nice to see a picture of those.
I can see a bit out of my left one, but the right one is useless. I have actually considered bar-end mirrors.
Is it actually superglue, though, or some sort of flexible rubber adhesive?

The risers work a treat. Before, I had tolerable view into the lanes beside me, but no view at all behind. With the risers, I now have full view of the lanes beside and behind, with a little overlap between the mirrors. Easy install, no hassles.

This is the blurb from Ebay for the risers:

image.jpg

Noggie

Yeah it might be more of an adhesive, you don't need much to make it stick though.

Risers looks like a good idea, might try that before I decide to go for bar end mirrors.

See you ended up with the same location for the heater controls as me....... not happy with it, so I might try to move it during winter storage.

foxracer

See you ended up with the same location for the heater controls as me....... not happy with it, so I might try to move it during winter storage.
How come you're not happy with it? I just installed mine and put the controller in the same place.

Noggie

How come you're not happy with it? I just installed mine and put the controller in the same place.
Aesthetics. It doesn't sit straight and that bothers me.
Guess it's the ocd part of me that don't like it.

Might look into a new bracket, or a new position.

robodene

If you have got a friend with an 8ft. x 4ft board, offer it up to the bike and see what would happen - bars and front wheel leading edge on the board. I've watched it happen...! I have had those mirror extenders; they are effective.