Indicators not working

CSB

Hi,

Just wondering if I could get some help with a issue I have, my front LED and integrated tail light were working fine as I finished installing everything but now after a few more tests they don't turn on. I've never had this issue before with other bikes I've owned.

Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07
Issue: Indicators not physically illuminating and not displaying on dash
I wrote up some possible questions that may be asked, with my responses:

When you signal left or right does the dash indicator light up left or right? It doesn't light up on the dash whether it be left, right or hazards. In addition the actual indicators don't illuminate, stock or aftermarket setup.
Did you install resistors? Yes, even replaced the stock flasher relay with a LED flasher relay.
Did you try to start the engine and see if it works? Yes, tried this but no difference.
Did you put everything back to stock and see if it works? Yes, tried this which also made no difference.
Did you check the switch if it needs replacement? Took it apart and everything looked fine.
Did you check the fuse? Yes, none were blown. Even replaced the signal fuse with a new one which made no difference.
Did you check all the wiring loom for damage or loose connections? Yes, literally the entire loom (start to finish) with no difference.

I'm baffled as I even put the stock connection back on and it doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated!

addy

Hi,

Just wondering if I could get some help with a issue I have, my front LED and integrated tail light were working fine as I finished installing everything but now after a few more tests they don't turn on. I've never had this issue before with other bikes I've owned.

Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07
Issue: Indicators not physically illuminating and not displaying on dash
I wrote up some possible questions that may be asked, with my responses:

When you signal left or right does the dash indicator light up left or right? It doesn't light up on the dash whether it be left, right or hazards. In addition the actual indicators don't illuminate, stock or aftermarket setup.
Did you install resistors? Yes, even replaced the stock flasher relay with a LED flasher relay.
Did you try to start the engine and see if it works? Yes, tried this but no difference.
Did you put everything back to stock and see if it works? Yes, tried this which also made no difference.
Did you check the switch if it needs replacement? Took it apart and everything looked fine.
Did you check the fuse? Yes, none were blown. Even replaced the signal fuse with a new one which made no difference.
Did you check all the wiring loom for damage or loose connections? Yes, literally the entire loom (start to finish) with no difference.

I'm baffled as I even put the stock connection back on and it doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated!
I installed some led indicators last week and I blew a fuse when connecting the wrong wire. I replaced the signalling fuse but that made no difference, checked the rest and found that it was the parking light fuse that blew. Worth a try if you haven't already tried replacing it.

CSB

indicators not working

@vasago

What do you mean did I try to short the cables?

@addy

No luck, thanks for the tip though

CSB

@vasago

What do you mean did I try to short the cables?

@addy

No luck, thanks for the tip though

Torque

Addy is right about the parking light fuse. Someone at Yamaha didn't think this through and the fuse labelling is misleading - the signalling fuse does not include the indicator circuit.

Another 2 points to consider:

1. Don't use resistors AND an LED flasher relay - it's one or the other. From your description it sounds as if you've installed both. Resistors slow down the flash rate when using the stock relay, and an LED flasher relay supplies the correct timing without resistors.
2. My LED flasher relay failed after a couple of months and I had the same symptoms as you - no working indicators and no lights on the dash. Replacing the relay with a new unit obviously solved the problem immediately. Although you said you put everything back to stock, did you also include the relay in this process.

Igor

If you installed resistors AND LED relay then most likely the relay will have failed due to overload.

Leds have very high resistance so low current pull. Wiring the resistors in parallel with them lowers the circuit resistance increasing current pull.

Therefore the relay would have had to flow MUCH more current than its designed for, so would work at first then overheat and fail.

Use resistors OR new relay. Not both.

Torque

If you installed resistors AND LED relay then most likely the relay will have failed due to overload.

Leds have very high resistance so low current pull. Wiring the resistors in parallel with them lowers the circuit resistance increasing current pull.

Therefore the relay would have had to flow MUCH more current than its designed for, so would work at first then overheat and fail.

Use resistors OR new relay. Not both.
Yes my point above :rolleyes: :p

CSB

Indicators fixed

Thanks for everyone who replied, despite thinking I was thorough, I was not. It was the parking light fuse that had blown, once replaced everything works!

Cheers!! :D

DERPONT

Thanks for everyone who replied, despite thinking I was thorough, I was not. It was the parking light fuse that had blown, once replaced everything works!

Hey mate, I only just seen this (sorry not on here as much as I would like) I glad you got it fixed I was going to suggest that you check all the fuses... I had the same problem with mine but it was the starter fuse so mine didn't start so I found it straight away..

Torque

Good news. Forums like these are worth their weight in gold. The people (us) on them are such a great resource for sharing issues, concerns, ideas and solutions.