Heated Grips not working

Jesper

Hi guys

I just got myself a pair of Yamaha heated grips: Yamaha Grip Heater 120 YME-F2960-00-00
Been fitting these according to the instructions, and checked for lose, cramped or otherwise damaged wires, but everything looks good.

My issue is, that they are not working and no LED's are being turned on. It does get VERY hot behind the control panel, but no where else.

Any suggestions as to what could be the issue or could they be faulty?

Br
Jesper

Noggie

Did you get the polarity correct on the battery or some other connection?
If you swapped positive and negative it could explain why it does not come on, and why no LED is lighting up. And the heat at the control panel can be the polarity protection circuit working hard.

shadowmonkey

Sounds faulty, as when mine went the back of the control panel got hot but not the grips. Think it was mainly down to my installation as I shorted them out when connecting to the battery. Cannot remember which way round you are meant to connect things directly to the battery + first or - first, as one way there is a spark and crackle well that's how it was for me.

The grips I installed were the Oxford touring heated grips, so just took them back and told them they had stopped working [emoji11]

Jesper

Well basically plug and play. Just remove the old grips, on with the new and run the wires to the battery.

sdrio

How is the indicator light connected?

Probably a long shot, but my oxford grips have a dual coloured LED to show low and high.

An LED being a diode, it will only let electricity pass through in one direction, so if you had managed to connect it back to front, that might be spoiling things.

There's really not much that can get messed up in your average set of hotgrips.

Noggie

An LED being a diode, it will only let electricity pass through in one direction, so if you had managed to connect it back to front, that might be spoiling things
My point exactly :)

Always connect the negative first, then the positive.

Is there a chance the bike needs to run for them to heat up? Think that is the case with my Oxford grips, but i haven't used the bike since early October so I don't remember.
I know they shut down automatic when the engine stops.

sdrio

My point exactly :)

Always connect the negative first, then the positive.

Is there a chance the bike needs to run for them to heat up? Think that is the case with my Oxford grips, but i haven't used the bike since early October so I don't remember.
I know they shut down automatic when the engine stops.
Mine are oxfords. They take a while to get hot when riding, but if you're stationary and testing you can feel them starting to work after a minute or so.

Noggie

Mine are oxfords. They take a while to get hot when riding, but if you're stationary and testing you can feel them starting to work after a minute or so.
You are probably right, like I said I don't remember. I know they turn themselves off automatically not to drain the battery.
Yes they do take some time to heat up, I usually have mine at 30-40%, and they takes some time to heat up. Perhaps going to 100% and then down will make them faster, don't think I've tried that.