GoPro Mounting

Noggie

I really like the front fender, I'm not to sure why you need a reference point in the shot cant see a benefit of it?
A fixed point will give you a better feel if the movement in the shot. It with be a stationary item to "which the world revolve around".
The fixed point will give you a better perception of speed, and what the bike is doing.
Without you are just "flying" through the roads and not getting much feel for the ride.

Eddieh93

Oh OK I see Noggie, I'm going to place the tab a little back so I can get some footage with the fender and without, like I keep saying I will upload some footage when I have got some, hopefully tomorrow as its meant to be a scorcher!

Noggie

Going to try this mount on a mountain trip today.
Just a pole mount on the frame.
A quick test yesterday was promising, very good perception of speed, and the movement of the bike thanks to the low mounting point and the radiator cover as a reference point.

I'll see if I can upload a video tonight.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Eddieh93

Attached a tab to the front fender yesterday and attached a tether but I think the tether was too tight and the camera fell off. :(

A piece of wood?

Just adjust the angle the camera is facing I seem to crouch a lot when I ride so I get a lot of tank and bars. Don't understand what you would do with a bit of wood on your chest?

Noggie

Here is a quick 3-4minute video from the camera location above.

This should show the importance of having a reference point in the shot, the radiator covers remains a fixed point and you get a better feel of the movement of the bike.
There may be a bit too much radiator cover, and I'm not sure if the camera sits a bit low or not, the low position goes a good perception of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHb98hACWI

Eddieh93

Ye the tether was just a bit tight and I had attached it to the upper fork where the black sheath is so obviously when I went over the bump it just pulled it a bit hard.

Its a bit rainy to day but I will re-attach on a sunny day and hopefully it goes slightly more to plan haha.

Noggie

I just learned something else too.
I shared the video on Facebook and some some of my more foto/video interested friends complained about the quality.
Now I'm no video pro, but once they told me it is not entirely smooth, the video is not really chopping, but its not 100% smooth.

Looks like I had the frame rate set too high, I was filming 1080p 90 frames per second, and after some research this screws up the footage if you go above 60fps.
Changed my go pro to 1080p 48fps, and hopefully I should be able to get better quality video in the future.

You learn something every day :)

DJP

What's people favourite mounting position for a gopro or similar camera.,

I've tried helmet and chest but am going to stick a tab to the front mudguard and see how that is.

Anyone else got any ideas?
This is mine. It's just stuck on with the sticky pad, it's been on there for months and works just fine.

Attachments

Donut

I really like the front fender, I'm not to sure why you need a reference point in the shot cant see a benefit of it?

I agree with Noggie regarding the rear facing camera far too much vibrations.

Chest mount is a good angle however you get far too much tank and bars not enough road for my liking.

I admit I am fussy and want the best angle going to try a few and see how I get on.[/QUOTE

The rear was good to try (and get video of my mates behind me).

The chest would have been good but for leaning down at speed and cannot see an easy method to raise it - however I have now bought a shoulder mount, so that may solve the problem.

DJP

Ye I was thinking about this to DJP.

Did you use a straight or curved one?
I'm not sure tbh. I had two, both with sticky pads, and they both look the same to me.

I just grabbed one and stuck it on. I wasn't sure how well it would grip but it's surprisingly strong - it certainly isn't coming off any time soon. And I've used the bike in hot weather, piddling rain, on motorways etc. etc.

It's also ultra convenient - the camera just clips on and off in seconds.

eriks

The chest would have been good but for leaning down at speed and cannot see an easy method to raise it - however I have now bought a shoulder mount, so that may solve the problem.
Shoulder mount? havent seen this one? Any URLs?

Badgermat

This is mine.

GoPro skeleton case, velcro strap from an old wetsuit, bit of packing foam from an Apple mouse.

Very adjustable, no problems with vibration, no sticky plastic tat on my helmet. Result.

bm

IMG_2985.jpg