Fitted a Centre Stand Today

Ralph

During the Summer or what passed for it, nice warm dry at times roads I was getting
right to the edge of the rear tyre but not bothering the hero blobs, so as a experiment
I slipped a piece of plastic pipe over the blobs so it extended them about a inch, still
did not touch down, even following a bike at the same speed were it's rider had his
knee down, I used to touch the cylinder heads on my BMW and silencers or stands on
other bikes but nothing ever gets near touching on this one, getting old maybe.

DJP

During the Summer or what passed for it, nice warm dry at times roads I was getting
right to the edge of the rear tyre but not bothering the hero blobs... I used to touch the cylinder heads on my BMW and silencers or stands on
other bikes but nothing ever gets near touching on this one, getting old maybe.
Same here (and possibly for the same reason ;))

Hence I can't see this stand being an issue. On the left, both stands sit well inside a line drawn from the edge of the tyre to the footrest tip. On the right, the stand sits well inboard of the exhaust.

Here's a few more pics to illustrate what I mean:

DSCN0032.jpg
DSCN0033.JPG

bobh

Good pix.

But remember:

1. When cornering hard there's more load on the suspension, so it compresses and will reduce the lean angle at which something touches down.

2. A lot depends on riding style - if you are a "supermotard", keeping your body upright and leaning the bike, obviously it will touch down much sooner (and you'll have smaller chicken strips) than if you're a "scratcher" who leans off to the inside.

3. Generally, on the road, cornering speed is (or at least, should be - Highway Code Rule 126) governed more by what you can (and can't) see than by the laws of cornering physics.

Having said all that, I can't see this stand being a worry for road use.