Fitted a Centre Stand Today

DJP

I've soldiered on for a while with paddock stands but let's face it: Maintenance is a lot easier with a centre stand.

After a bit of research, I decided to go for the SW Motech one. It gets pretty good write ups and cost me £120 off Ebay, delivered from Germany.

I've got to say, I'm quite impressed. Fitting was straightforward and it works well.

centre stand web 2.jpg
centre stand web.jpg

I'm Happy!

Scim77

What is the ground clearance? Is it tucked well out of the way when riding? Would the foot rests hit the ground well before the stand? I use a rear paddock stand and front headstock lift, but I am sure that a bit of info about running clearances will be useful to those considering a centre stand.

DJP

What is the ground clearance? Is it tucked well out of the way when riding?.
I don't know, tbh. Since fitting the stand I've only ridden in the wet so I haven't really tested it. That said, if clearance was a problem you could always remove the stand (2 bolts, 2 minutes) and leave the brackets in place. And then re-attach the stand if you needed to work on the suspension etc.

P

Peter

Hi DJP,

Can we have photos about it in normal (riding) position? From both side if it is no problem.

It is an extremely useful mod but at first sight is seems a bit strange.

bobh

A pad-type paddock stand is OK for chain lubing, but I really don't trust it for things like wheel changes. Why did Yamaha have to be so penny-pinching that they didn't at least fit bosses for paddock stand bobbins to the swing arm? You can use a fork-type stand with the type of sliders that go through the rear spindle, but that doesn't don't allow rear wheel removal.

So I was contemplating getting one of these centre stands. But I already have an Abba stand, so I decided to go for the cheaper option and just order their adaptors. Though they aren't THAT cheap, at £18.50 a pair plus postage for a pair of simple mild steel turned items I could knock up in 10 minutes if I had a lathe. Maybe Abba work on the same principle as inkjet printer makers - sell the basic item cheap, then make the profit on the consumables.

DJP

A couple of notes:

SW Motech supply longer hero blobs with this stand, which I haven't fitted, as I can't see ground clearance being a problem.

What may not be obvious from the photos is that on the right side the stand partially tucks under the exhaust – rather than sticking out. The exhaust would hit the ground at about the same time as the stand. (And you'd have to be going some to deck the exhaust!).

Likewise on the left, the centre stand actually sits inboard of the side stand and it looks to me like you'd have to be at an almost impossible angle of lean to touch it down.

Obviously, it's now winter and I haven't had the chance to explore the limits of handling with the centre stand fitted. But I really can't see it being an issue.

It really does seem to be a very well designed piece of kit.

sdrio

I quite like that, would also be useful for parking in the busy bays where I leave mine - sometimes the only space is between a pair of scooters, where you need the bike to stay upright to fit.

Probably won't get it now though. Mine is heading for 2 years old, and I'm probably going to partex it this year.

shadowmonkey

I quite like that, would also be useful for parking in the busy bays where I leave mine - sometimes the only space is between a pair of scooters, where you need the bike to stay upright to fit.

Probably won't get it now though. Mine is heading for 2 years old, and I'm probably going to partex it this year.
Asked cmc about chopping mine in for a tracer the other day and with all the bits on they would only give me £2700 PX [emoji24]

So may be keeping mine for a while longer yet, so this could be a good thing to get for easy chain cleaning etc.

Last edited:

msesma

I have used this centre stand for 3000 km now and I can't be more happy :)
It supports the bike perfectly over all kind of terrains, adapt perfectly to the bike when it is high and weights below 3Kg.

I installed mine myself. And only needed the help of my 17 years daughter during five minuter to maintain the bike while I dissasembled the sidestand, screw the left platen and the sidestand again. The only tools needed apart from a torque wrench are allen vases adaptable to the torque wrench and a aluninium tube for helping installing the springs

The rear wheel is on air normaly but placing a 21cm height wood block under the crankcase, the front one will be on air. Very useful for mainteinance.

P

Peter

Oops, a little problem found.

I've just downloaded the mounting instructions from here:

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/artikelpdf/hps_06_506_10002_b.pdf

I found an item (nr 17) called bank sensor. As a last step of the installation the original piece shall be replaced with the new one. It seems this sensor is a bit longer.
For me the original part was too long and I had to replace them to a shorter one.

Does it mean the leaning angle is limited with this center stand?

msesma

I think so. But in my case it is not an issue: I never lean so much.

If you needed to shorten the original ones (dangerous), I think this centre stand is not for you.

P

Peter

That's why I had to replace the original:

footpeg.jpg

I agree it could be dangerous. But it is so easy to lose your mind on this bike if you ride on good quality twisty road.

DJP

Oops, a little problem found.

I've just downloaded the mounting instructions from here:

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/artikelpdf/hps_06_506_10002_b.pdf

I found an item (nr 17) called bank sensor. As a last step of the installation the original piece shall be replaced with the new one. It seems this sensor is a bit longer.
For me the original part was too long and I had to replace them to a shorter one.

Does it mean the leaning angle is limited with this center stand?
I answered that question in post #9.

Yes, they supply longer hero blobs (bank sensors). No, I don't think that they're necessary because it looks like other parts of the bike would touch the ground first. (see the first picture in post #8).

But I haven't really explored the limits of handling since fitting the stand.

sdrio

Bank sensors? That's a new one on me.

I suspect my circular rotating rubber road grippification equipment would fail before the bank sensors were triggered.

jobac

Bank sensors? That's a new one on me.

I suspect my circular rotating rubber road grippification equipment would fail before the bank sensors were triggered.
On a 0 camber road yes, but some roads with heavy camber cause them to be 'triggered' earlier than normal!

P

Peter

Bank sensor is very useful:
If there is a bank somewhere around you, the sensor detects it.

For extra money you can equip the bike with petrol station sensor, restaurant sensor, policeman sensor, ...etc.