Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

mellanslag

hahah true :D

And you did not experience less stalling? Did the mechanic adjust the sync or was yours fine from the start?
I've not experienced much stalling at all, probably around 3-4 times. One of these have been after the service, which was done quite recently, so it's hard to say with any certainty. However, it's clear that the problem persists even after the service.

Also, I can't say if the sync was adjusted or not, my paper just says that they checked it and adjusted it if needed adjustment.

Last edited:

Ralph

The September edition of Ride gives a good write up of the 07 but does mention it occasionally stalls.

AJ Nin

Haha. I know what you mean. Dealerships often give you a list of what is supposed to be done at a certain maintenance appt. rather than what they actually did. I'm sure you got an oil and filter change though. The question is always, "Did you get anything else?" You can tell from the parts usually if they replace something like oil and filter, but checking something generates no parts. I guess you just have to be a trusting soul. Some dealerships let you watch them work. A local Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer has the waiting room overlooking the service area and you are free to watch them work on your bike. I like that.

da1kini

Haha. I know what you mean. Dealerships often give you a list of what is supposed to be done at a certain maintenance appt. rather than what they actually did. I'm sure you got an oil and filter change though. The question is always, "Did you get anything else?" You can tell from the parts usually if they replace something like oil and filter, but checking something generates no parts. I guess you just have to be a trusting soul. Some dealerships let you watch them work. A local Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer has the waiting room overlooking the service area and you are free to watch them work on your bike. I like that.
I was standing next to the mechanic all the time! Don't know if that is usually how it works there but hey I am not gonna spend almost 2 hours watching helmets and boots in their shop....

sdrio

Still no official respons on this basic MT 07 problem ?
I had an official response a month ago.

"Having referred the contents of your email to our Technical staff, we can advise that they are unaware of any undue concerns in relation to this area of the MT-07 in general, if the Throttle Operation is set correctly. There is the facility on cable to adjust its free play and we would kindly suggest that you advise your dealer to check the operation and adjustment of your throttle

Other than the above, we would advise that Yamaha consider that no further remedial action, is necessary.

For your reference, we would also like to mention that on the recent Ride to Work Day, Monday 16 May, many of our Yamaha UK staff took the opportunity of riding MT-07's and did not report any issues or instances of cutting out.

Additionally, we have also attached the links below, in relation to the launch of the MT-07 where the press were invited to ride this new model. After some intensive testing, again no issues with regards to cutting out were reported -

First ride: Yamaha MT-07 review - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

First Ride! Yamaha's MT-07 reviewed | Bike Social

We thank you for taking the time to contact us and trust that the above and attached information provided, may alleviate any concerns
."
-------------------------------------

In the meantime, dozens of reports have been made on forums (in at least 10 different countries, from what I have seen), and it has been mentioned at least twice in the press. Lots of dealers have had bikes brought in. Yamaha's people at their roadshows are aware of it, but toe the company line - "We've never had it happen to us".

So, that's nice, isn't it?

sdrio

Don't know if it's the weather, but mine is absolutely terrible this week.

I've got pretty good at anticipating the cough, and revving past it, but even so it has got me 3 times since Monday.

Livestrong

I had it the first 300 miles 2 times, placed a DNA air filter then, now I have1000 miles and didn't had it anymore. So I think it has an influence.
Everyone thinks he gets not enough fuel but I think the opposite, he gets to much, because more air means more burning.

Ralph

If it is too much fuel it would explain why some are hard to start after as the engine would be flooded
and need the throttle opening wile cranking to clear the unburnt fuel.

sdrio

OK, so I was thinking here. Yamaha haven't done a lot of advertising of the MT07, I thought they could use a few suggestions.

Here are a couple of ideas I had. Yamaha, feel free to use these in your next press campaign;

ad1.jpg

ad2.jpg

Larskiainen

First things first.. i have waited the bike 3 months and yesterday i get it from my dealer. During these three months i had enouhg time to read almost everything from this forum so i knew the "stalling" issue may be in my bike. I have riden now 70km and the engine has cutted off two times. I'm very dissapointed for yamaha no doubt about that but i think it's not only annoying problem it's super dangerous too.
My bike have 35kw kit and akrapovic but i dont really think those should do any difference to the stalling.

The best motorcyclist is the living one.

sdrio

First things first.. i have waited the bike 3 months and yesterday i get it from my dealer. During these three months i had enouhg time to read almost everything from this forum so i knew the "stalling" issue may be in my bike. I have riden now 70km and the engine has cutted off two times. I'm very dissapointed for yamaha no doubt about that but i think it's not only annoying problem it's super dangerous too.
My bike have 35kw kit and akrapovic but i dont really think those should do any difference to the stalling.

The best motorcyclist is the living one.
Nothing makes a difference - it's a defect in the fuel system. Given that we all have the same fuel system, we all have the possibility of getting a duff bike, regardless of pipes, restrictions and any other gadgetry. I assume while there's still a 3 month waiting list for the bikes, Yamaha have no incentive to try and fix it.

Shame. I've bought a lot of Yamahas in the last 30 years. This is the last one though. Having had my rose tinted specs wiped by this, I'm seeing every shortcoming in the bike now. The fussy clutch (which in combination with the stalling makes it the most dangerous bike I have ever owned), crap saddle. It's not actually very fast either.

Over and out. Nice talking to you all.

dazzor

I totally get where you're at with the bike, but the not very fast bit.....surely this comes as no surprise?

It's a nippy commuter though, isn't it? That's what I'm hoping to get. A reasonable power to weight ratio ride that doesn't guzzle petrol. Have I got it wrong? :(

rappetor

I totally get where you're at with the bike, but the not very fast bit.....surely this comes as no surprise?

It's a nippy commuter though, isn't it? That's what I'm hoping to get. A reasonable power to weight ratio ride that doesn't guzzle petrol. Have I got it wrong? :(
No, you don't got it wrong. It's exactly that. It's just Sdrio is fed up with the bike at the moment, and then everything seems wrong. I kinda know the feeling (had something similar with a car once). However, not being fast cannot come as a surprise indeed (assuming a test drive was done before buying).

Fortunately my bike has no problems whatsoever. Did a 2300km 5-day trip last week (to Germany and Switzerland in the mountains), and nothing wrong at all.. As the majority of the people seem to have a good running bike, it seems like they (Yamaha) are able to make bikes that run good. So people with problems should really keep pushing and asking for a solution. It's the only way (or yeah, get rid of the bike).. Kinda like the MT-09 throttle thing..