Declaring Akrapovic Exhaust to your Insurance Company??

Lex_Lee

Those with Akra exhaust upgrade... did you declare to your insurance company?

If so, what info did they require (performance enhancement details?)
and was the increase in premium much?

I'm assuming it would be risky to just keep quiet and not mention anything to them.

Gaz2212

I informed insurance company all they needed was the make of exhaust, they rang me back after checking it out only thing they asked me was it street legal exhaust so had to fit the cat, I had done this anyway so not to yamaha any reason to refuse warranty claim in the future if needed

Made no difference to policy price but the robbers wanted £30 to change the policy (bennetts insurance)

Cheers

Gaz

Lex_Lee

Thanks for the info Gaz -very helpful. My Yamaha dealer told me the cat wasn't necessary to make it street legal, so I just ordered the exhaust kit alone.
I've heard others saying the cat is necessary for it to be street legal also though, so I'd better make sure before taking the dealers word for anything!

Gaz2212

Lee

I would double check if I was you

Check Yamaha's own website and akrapovic website it clearly states not street legal without optional cat fitted

I know in the uk there is no emission test for mot for motorbikes so sort of contradicts itself really, but it would be more lead by what the manufacturers say not the dealer

Check this link to yamaha site reference street legal and warranty

Akrapovi

loneranger

Make sure you tell you insurance and fit that CAT. If you have a major incident and they find it missing, your claim could be invalidated and more importantly if you injury yourself or others you will be finished!. For the £60 quid plus for the cat its well worth it. By the way I have the akra for a month now and it makes no difference to sound or performance with it in or out. Yamaha will screw you if you have a fault on the bike thru non fitting of the CAT also. You can fit it yourself if you retro order it. Undo the sensor valve/bolt, remove the springs and undo the 2 bolts from either side of the bike near the foot deflectors, ad pop out the main chamber. Slide in the CAT and refit. You don't need to undo the pipes from the engine.

Lex_Lee

Gaz / Loneranger...
thanks both for your advice which I will be taking -wise words.
For just £60 it's not worth taking any chances is it. I'll get the CAT installed.

Now the DB killer on the other hand may have to go! :cool: