Can't remove rear axle nut

T_Robert

Hi guys,

I wanted to take of my rear wheel to balance it as I had a small crash and the wheel wasn't balanced anymore. I loosed up the nut and made around 3 turns. After which the nut got stuck. I thought that I need to use the bigger wrench so I got it. It went a little more but the align plate from the right of the bike got above the swing arm. Loosened it up a bit placed it back and tried it again with my friend helping me to keep it in place. The bad part is the align plate material gave off and the axle started spinning inside the align plate "eating" the aluminium. I tried to block it with a screwdriver, other tools but couldn't take off that damn nut.

Now I do not know how to take off that stuck nut because each attempt will end up with the axle spinning freely. I cannot tightened it up either so I cannot move the bike. I suspect to buy another axle and nut as these ones seem to be faulty.
The idea is that the nut was not bulged at the beginning. It got stuck once i started to loosen it up.

I am opened to any idea.
Kinda ruined my day. :(

Sincerely,
Robert

Attachments

Noggie

I have sliders mounted on there so not easy for me to check, but can you get an adjustable spanner in there to hold the pin while you try to loosen the nut?
Other option would be to drill two holes and put some metal in the holes to stop the pin from spinning. (Not sure if you would drill into the swing arm though)

Edit: a pair of vise grip pliers should also do the trick.

Last edited:

nobull

Can you get an angle grinder blade behind the nut on the nearside? I would grind off the axle next to nut, if possible, while on stand. Then just buy a new axle from a breaker. Cheapest, easiest way. Use a 1mm inox blade to minimise heat & sparks, be very careful not to touch the spindle of the angle grinder on the swingarm. Cover the bike in damp/wet rags, otherwise shards "rust in" to all surfaces (my conservatory plastic & glass is a mess from metalworking in back garden). Molegrip one axle end to stop it spinning while cutting if need be.
Saying all this, i'm assuming you've already tried a blowtorch on the nut to expand it & thereby loosen it? If not then try that first, but be sure to keep a check on wheelbearings after in case any seals get damaged by the heat. That is what they will do at dealership, you can do it more carefully with thought for bearing seals yourself (its just more money for them if they melt/burn any rubber seals).
Good luck, let us know what you do & how you got on!

T_Robert

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I used an angle grinder and cut it bit by bit so I won't damage the side arm.
Also the warranty department agreed to send me spare parts without any cost.

I can't wait to put the bike back together so I can enjoy the nice weather. :D

Keep in touch!

Ralph

Not sure what is rely going on here you would think any bike maker had cracked how to make
a rear axle by now, the nut seems to seize on the axle but why, are they being done up to
tight and partly striping? is it the locking on the nut that's too good at it's job? or are the alloy
bits not strong enough to stop the axle turning? had mine loose twice for chain adjustment with
no problems I clean the threads before trying to move the nut but what the problem rely is I
don't know.