Black stains on the exhaust

geot

I noticed some black stains on the silencer of my exhaust..
Is it just gas and water?
Or is it something i need to start worrying..
Do you notice something similar with your exhausts?
Just checking..

Ralph

I take it that it's coming out of the exhaust exit/tail pipe, just clean it off as it may be
a bit corrosive but normal.

tw586

the black stains around the tail pipe are a result of incomplete or poor combustion, usually a result of short trips or engine not reaching full operating temp, quite a few of us have noticed this and it seems to be early on, I think as we baby our engines for the run in period, Mine has over 5000klm and I dont see any black soot (carbon and water as a byproduct of normal combustion and the effect of the catalytic converter not getting to its operating temperature), if it persists and the bike is well run in I would suspect overfueling and it may require a trip back to the dealer. Take her out and give her a good hard ride and see how you go. PS, I ride mine hard and I get around 3.8 to 4.2 liters per 100k. mostly hard city riding and about a 45min trip to work.

geot

Thanks guys..
I have 1700klm at the odo..
So it maybe has to do with the richer fueling from the injectors..
To confront the stalling problem i had..

Nuggets

Thanks guys..
I have 1700klm at the odo..
So it maybe has to do with the richer fueling from the injectors..
To confront the stalling problem i had..
Try alloy wheel cleaner to remove the black carbon deposits around the silencer.

Will145

I have them - doesn't really bother me. Just clean them off with wd40 or when I'm washing the bike. I always run the bike up to temperature and usually give it a good run, as it's a toy for me as opposed to every day transport.