Airfilter/Exhaust/Break in Question

jmkk

Hi!

I just bought the MT-07 (rare combination of black frame with deep armor components, pretty awesome) with an Akropovic exhaust and separate DNA air filter.
Before installing the sweet stuff I would like to know which option is better for the bike's engine:

Install right away with 0 km and let the bike break in with this 'high performance' stuff

OR

Install after the bike has broke in around 500/1000km's.

I don't know if temperature has any influence on the break in period, but I live in the Netherlands, where it's around 15'C at the moment (60 fahrenheit).

Please let me know guys!

Jim

D

Deleted member 20

Don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Anything goes. Some bikes come with Akra as stock (HP4) and others come with 30 kg SS cans, both types can be broken in.

jmkk

Ok thanks, and what about the air filter? And more importantly, the combination of exhaust/filter.
The engine obviously has a lot more to handle with these fitted

rappetor

I think it's more of a question whether or not you're bike is properly tuned with these bits on. Usually another (performance/open) exhaust especially in combination with an open air filter will make your bike run more lean. Running more lean means the bike gets hotter.

And during the break in period one of the reasons why you need to to be careful with the engine and not put a lot of load on it is to avoid the engine getting too hot.

It will probably go just fine (I'm sure there is quite the margin), but I'd put the performance bits on after the break in period just to be sure. Unless ofcourse you make sure the mixture is ok during the break in with the performance parts on , but I'd rather not have my engine tuned with 0kms on :)

So.. There you have it, my 2 cents :p

BrianSPC

If its only the air filter and the Akrapovic, then your good to go, because the bike has a very good AFR on std. engine map. Maybe you can also put on the new airfilter top if you have that, but I would have it on a dyno just to be sure.

I have a Akrapovic on mine, and had it on a Dyno, and it runs AFR 13 so its perfekt, they also tried to take of the airfilter box top, and it still ran a fine AFR, but no HP gain, så the MT-07 has a very good Airflow with the stock filter and airbox. The thing that limites the HP is the exhaust, efter my Akrapovic had been installed it put out about 3-5 HP more on the rear wheel and about 5 nm more.

I will post my Dyno chart when possible.

jmkk

Nice, thanks for the advice dudes!
I would like to see the chart :)

i'll post some pics when my MT is delivered!

Nuggets

I ran the bike in first 300 miles conservative and last 300 as if I stole it, had the Akra from 0 miles fiited by dealer, no modifications needed to fuelling. It's fuel injected and constantly varies the air/fuel mixture via the lambda sensor so i dont think lean mix is an issue unless you are modifying past the point the ECU can handle it (then your looking at a power commander solution or a remap)

As for getting hot, the engine gets hot in traffic you can't control the temperature the engine runs at and the advice I received was to constantly vary the rev range and riding style so no long trips sticking in a narrow rev band! it's all about the final wear on moving engine components and bedding of the piston rings, temperature really doesn't factor into it, sure you have to warm up but you do for any bike really.

I would say leave the thing as stock as possible until run in, if you do encounter a problem (unlikely perhaps with a modern Jap bike) then the dealer hasn't got an excuse ready made for him, if the dealer fits the filter and exhaust and confirms the manfuacturer warranty is still valid I would say put the mods on.