your first 2 bikes?

RichMT

Started off with a couple of FS1Es, then onto an RXS100 that I modded beyond recognition and then passed my test on, then onto a brand new RD350NII. Several LCs followed including an RD500 that I wish I still had. Then onto 4-strokes with FZs and FZRs, brief encounter with a TDR250, then a small break...

DJP

My first two were a Honda CB100N (the test passer) then an RD 350 YPVS (the first of several).

I did also own a 50cc scooter thing when I was 16 but I don't really count that.

cosmikdebriis

First bike I rode (but didn't really own) was a late 60's/early 70's Yamaha 80cc trail bike. I was a kid and living in Papua New guinea at the time.

First bike I bought was a 250 single Kawasaki chopper thingy which is the bike I still have the fondest memories of.

Next bike was a BSA C15 with a bent valve. Somehow (and God knows why) that started a long relationship with British bikes that lasts until this day.

William

I don't think that will ever disappear. the gear box wasn't the best and he's gear leaver was always coming loose lol the peddles never worked eva but he love it. I had mine rebored to a 65cc 70mph down hill then it blow the big end that's was a sad day then came the RD and what a bike. The kids today don't know what there missing
View attachment 1722
Hi Spencer,

How would you compare the MT-07 to your RD350? I've held off buying the MT-07 because there's rumors that Yamaha will bring back
a street clean two stroke with direct injection.

sdrio

Hi Spencer,

How would you compare the MT-07 to your RD350? I've held off buying the MT-07 because there's rumors that Yamaha will bring back
a street clean two stroke with direct injection.
I've had a 250 LC, a 350 LC and an MT07. This comparison thing doesn't hold any water for me, but I was a teenager when I had my Elsie's, maybe now I'm an old fart things are different.

If you had to sum up the MT07 in one word, for me it's torque. It's not particularly fast, but it pulls well. The LC's were comparatively fast (by early 80's standards), but wouldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dogs bum until you hit the powerband.

The MT07 isn't an outstanding handler either. It's light, but the cheap suspension don;t make it anywhere like as flickable as the RDs were.

Asked to choose right now, I'd go for the MT07, but that's because it is 30 years of technology ahead of the LC. I you ask me which one I'll look back on when I'm 80 and say I had the most fun with, it'd be the LCs, by a mile.

I remember my LCs with fondness, I am looking forward to selling the MT07 and getting something else.

William

I've had a 250 LC, a 350 LC and an MT07. This comparison thing doesn't hold any water for me, but I was a teenager when I had my Elsie's, maybe now I'm an old fart things are different.

If you had to sum up the MT07 in one word, for me it's torque. It's not particularly fast, but it pulls well. The LC's were comparatively fast (by early 80's standards), but wouldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dogs bum until you hit the powerband.

The MT07 isn't an outstanding handler either. It's light, but the cheap suspension don;t make it anywhere like as flickable as the RDs were.

Asked to choose right now, I'd go for the MT07, but that's because it is 30 years of technology ahead of the LC. I you ask me which one I'll look back on when I'm 80 and say I had the most fun with, it'd be the LCs, by a mile.

I remember my LCs with fondness, I am looking forward to selling the MT07 and getting something else.
I'm 54 years old now. My 1977 Yamaha RD 400 was by far the most favorite motorcycle I've ever had. It had so much character. I remember about 1981, and a guy at work bought a brand new Yamaha Seca 750, and he wanted to race me. By the time I hit 3rd gear and I turned around to look, the guy was at least 100 yards behind me.

William

You mentioned you're going to sell your MT-07. What are you thinking for your next bike? Sometimes I think about trading my 2007 Kawasaki
650R for the MT-07, but I'm not going to do it. What I really want to get is a 1989 blue RZ350

lcman

I have to disagree with the LC comparison why do I say this because I have an LC in fact I have three 1 x 250, 2 x 350, when I went to my dealers on the 350 I had no intention of buying a new bike but I took the MT out came back and bought one and that's after getting of the 350. Many times I go out on the 350 come back and take the MT out and think how similar they are.

I think they are both very similar in many ways. Neither bike is brilliant in the handling, the build quality is poor on both bikes we have seen this in other posts on this forum if you have seen a brand LC fresh out of the crate (which I have Padgett's still has them your for £9K)you wouldn't believe the build standard of it, the performance levels are comparable with bikes of there time you have to work them to get the best out of them which make them rewarding to ride.

View attachment 1802

gregjet

Honda SL100
Ducati 450 desmo ( quad leading shoe, fibreglass tank and body version in metalflake silver)
Honda Elsinore CR125M ( race bike)
Montessa Cota 175 ( trials bike)
Honda XL175
Yamaha RD350B
Honda CB125S
CX500
Yamaha IT 250 H( race bike enduro)
Yamaha RD350LC
Yamaha XV1000
Yamaha FJ550
Honda VTR250F2
Honda CB250RS ( believe it or not posibbly my favourite bike. Simple fun to ride in the twisties and uncomplicated)
Honda VF400F
Big break
Hyosung GT250
Sachs 150( race bike...no I am not kidding. Jack Millar raced at our club on one)
BMW F800R ( just sold it)
Honda H100 ( race bike)
Honda RS125 with cr85motor( race bike)
Honda NSR250"s ( several, race bikes)
Honda VTR250 ( race bike)
Honda CBR250RR ( race bike)
Kawasaki ER6N ( race bike)
CBR125 ( race bike)
Yamaha YZFR125 ( race bike)
Husqvana TR650 Strada ( still got)
Suzuki DRZ400SM
Yamaha MT07 ( probably my last bike)

xt660isgood2

LC’s, mega bike of the time and I’m sure I’m right in saying “the 250cc” changed the whole “who can ride what cc, age, power thing” In the UK at the time, because many people were getting killed on them.

I was just too skint at the time but bought one 10 years later, and after riding z750’s, gs550’s etc could never really get my head round that all or nothing scary power band. Will still bow whenever I see one purring away though.

Another “Iconic” bike in my eyes was the FZR1000 exup (1989)
Again drooled over it for years. 5 or so years ago bought one “as they are cheap now”

Power wise, would still give any bike of today a good run for the money and yet again
Scared the sh1t out of me! But it still sits in the garage under some covers and I can admire her. Better to have loved and lost, than never loving at all?

The MT has more than enough, for the roads here. Traffic and bumpy roads, and bumpy roads

sdrio

LC’s, mega bike of the time and I’m sure I’m right in saying “the 250cc” changed the whole “who can ride what cc, age, power thing” In the UK at the time, because many people were getting killed on them.

I was just too skint at the time but bought one 10 years later, and after riding z750’s, gs550’s etc could never really get my head round that all or nothing scary power band. Will still bow whenever I see one purring away though.

Another “Iconic” bike in my eyes was the FZR1000 exup (1989)
Again drooled over it for years. 5 or so years ago bought one “as they are cheap now”

Power wise, would still give any bike of today a good run for the money and yet again
Scared the sh1t out of me! But it still sits in the garage under some covers and I can admire her. Better to have loved and lost, than never loving at all?

The MT has more than enough, for the roads here. Traffic and bumpy roads, and bumpy roads
My droolworthy but could never afford one at the time bike would be the GPz900r.

The original Ninja.

I keep thinking about getting one for the hell of it, but my Mrs would notice.

geffd

Yamaha Fs1e (with pedals)
Suzuki GP100
(Big gap passed car test)
Suzuki GS500
Honda CBF600
MT07

Fancy the Tracer next