Yamaha MT-07 break In

Ralph

Good Move TJ63 from all I have seen a little patience in a vehicle's early miles
pays dividends later.

sdrio

Problem with this is there's no objective way to measure results.

Even if you put two bikes side by side, use the two different methods to run them in, any subsequent differences between them could just as easily be random or attributable to something else.

My view is, unless there's evidence that using the manufacturers running in recommendations actually causes damage (which there isn't), then that's the way I'm going to do it.

Thrashing a new engine, regardless of the 'science' given to prove it is better, just doesn't sound logical to me.

AJ Nin

Be careful. This is not a learner bike IMO. Especially watch your slow speed maneuvering in parking lots and gas stations, and your own driveway. It probably helps if you are tall though. You won't hurt the engine, but an unexpected stall, especially with the handlebars turned can cause you to drop the bike.

1a2a3a

Not sure if I'm doing this right. It says there below 5k rpm for first 1000km. But my mechanic told me not to go above 80km/h or 5rpm.
It seems to me that when I hit 80km/h at gear 6, my rpm was nowhere near 5. Probably 3.8-4ish + ?

Does that specifically means that I could go above 80km/h till the rpm is reaching near 5?

Noggie

I'm am almost done breaking in mine.
Yes the manual says do not exceed 5000rpm FOR EXTENDED TIME first 1000km, then no not exceed 6000rpm for extended times for the next 600km.
This does not mean never exceed those rpm, it means you should not I.e go 100kmh for 15 minutes in 2nd gear.
There is nothing saying that you can't pull it to redline when accelerating.
There is nothing saying you can't sit at 7000rpm for one minute, it just says extended time.

I have pretty much rode the bike as normal from day one, but I have been using higher gears and stayed below the listed rpm's at cruising speed, but in accelerations I have not worried about it because that is not "extended time", just a few seconds.

Noggie

So could we cruise at say..90km/h ? Cause I believe at gear 6, 90kn/h would be around 4.5-5 rpm.
Yes cruise under 5000rpm speed is irrelevant.
I had mine up to 160km/h once, and quite a few times up around 130. I exceeded 5000rpm, but it was just for a few seconds, so its not a problem.
I even hit the rev limiter a few times, thats how I know second gear stops at ~115km/h.

Running in the engine is just to get the parts inside the engine to settle, a final fine polish of the parts to make them match up perfectly to each other, and to remove any production impuriteis that is why the oil and filter should be changed at 1000km, because there will be very fine metal particles in it from the parts settling.
Some insist on running the engine hard, they argument that the piston rings will settle better then and you get a better cylinder seal/compression, but I'm not too sure about that.
I rode my bike as normal, and just kept an eye on the rpm's and not exceed the limits for several minutes.

1a2a3a

THanks Noggie.

Learnt something today. didn't know that speed was irrelevant.
Guess I had been riding the wrong way.
I realized that I'm changing gear at rpm 3-4. probably because of the fact that smaller bike requires a faster upshifting.

Whereas for bigger bikes, every gear can drag alittle more.

I just did a test run, for gear 6 to reach 4.5rpm, I'm already at 110km/h. I'll be damned. haha!

Noggie

You should have no problems.
Take a few runs on the AYE from the Marina and out to Tuas and the break-in should go fast, better than the stop and go of Singapore city traffic.
The Raffles country club is a good place to stop and look at the Yachts :)

1a2a3a

Holy shit brah, you been to Singapore?!

It's been a week, and I'm only at 300 odd KM, guess either I'm just lazy or couldn't find time for it. Work's been hell here :(

Noggie

Holy shit brah, you been to Singapore?!

It's been a week, and I'm only at 300 odd KM, guess either I'm just lazy or couldn't find time for it. Work's been hell here :(
Yes, I work in shipyards all over the world.
I was in Keppel in late 2008 and in PPL in 2011, at that time I was driving from Robinson's walk/Clarke quay to PPL every day on the CTE and AYE.
I know quite a lot about Singapore, and I really liked it there, haven't been since September 2011 though.
Have to go back some day.
I have spent he last 3 years in Korea, and now I'm going back to China, haven't been there since 2010, will be interesting to see what has happened while I've been gone.