Yamaha MT-07 break In

badger27

the first service is at 600 miles .until that point the dealer simply told me not to stress the engine .I asked him to explain this and he told me to keep the revs in the mid range and not to to sit in top at low revs especially when climbing a steep hills.

the most important thing he stressed was it came with new rubber and to be very steady for the first 30 miles as there would be silicon on them (no one wants to drop a new bike)

hope this helps badger

TJ63

I read somewhere else to keep it under 5000 revs for the first 600 miles, but the important thing is to keep varying the revs and under no circumstances let the engine labour.

Curly

I bet that you will have lots of fun with the bike. I say just ride it normally for the first 1000 Km and be easy on it until it reaches full operating temperature. After the first service feel free to hammer it. Also, you know what they say- "RTFM". Read the F*****g Manual. It was written by the guys who made the bike.

Curly

Phil_B

As others have said, the manual says no "extended periods" above 5k revs until first service, then 6k revs until 1000 miles. I've found this harder than I thought!

Last edited:

Guru Woodman

I have a snowmobile too (4 stroke) and and there's a lot of talk about how to break in an engine.

This article is causing quiet a stir. CLICK

Although it has some valid points, I can't get myself to abuse an engine. I will take it easy, but I won't baby it. Newer engine design seem to need a different approach and need some spanking to get the best results.

da1kini

Hi Guys..just wonder how you guys run in/break in you new babe..Follow instruction manual or follow hard break in...Motorcycle Extremist - Motorcycle Engine "Break-in" the Right Way!.. The hard break-in seems to make a lot of sense...but harder to execute...Getting my BABE tomorrow..
I did a combo of like 75 % by the book and then 25 with various short accelerations up to about 9k and so on. My mechanic told med that it runed very well at the first service. Make sure they check the cylinder play in the first service, heard of my mechanic that a lot of mechs simply do not see the need cause at most time they are perfect in a new bike. But mine for example hade 4 points differ between the 2. Now it is a different bike to ride. So make sure they run the test!!

Nuggets

Guys anyone swapped the plug for a magnetic as soon as they got their bike then run in? I'd be interested to see how much particle the engine produces during running in!

bram-bram

Guys, how bad do you think it is, the fact that I'm learning to ride on a brand new bike, regarding the breaking-in? I am practicing slow speed riding and the engine does quit quite often on me because I'm not giving it enough gas or releasing the clutch too quickly. That must put some strain on the engine, right?

sdrio

Guys, how bad do you think it is, the fact that I'm learning to ride on a brand new bike, regarding the breaking-in? I am practicing slow speed riding and the engine does quit quite often on me because I'm not giving it enough gas or releasing the clutch too quickly. That must put some strain on the engine, right?
The idea is not to make the engine labour, that is to say (as far as I understand) don't try to accelerate from low revs too much, or make it work to hard to climb hills.

As for the engine quitting, don't assume it's your fault. Lots of people are reporting the dreaded Yamaha low speed engine stalling problem. If you're riding cautiously, it is likely to be that.

I wouldn't panic about the breaking in thing. The most important part is to make sure you get the first service done on time. Modern engines are better engineered than they used to be, as long as you're not a complete idiot, you don't need to be
that careful.

IMHO it's way better to take it easy while you're getting used to the bike, than to wheelie off the back because you're worried about breaking it in. You're doing fine.

alex6063

Got mt baby 2 weeks plus and done 350+km only as I only ride for fun..did the hard breaking in..rev between 30% t0 60% of redline and us engines to slow down.....changed oil and filter at 50 miles and then at 200miles..it was tough but engine running beautifully now..change oil again at 500miles and then 1000miles all mineral oil..Follow manual last time..so want to see difference..

Kipawa

Got mt baby 2 weeks plus and done 350+km only as I only ride for fun..did the hard breaking in..rev between 30% t0 60% of redline and us engines to slow down.....changed oil and filter at 50 miles and then at 200miles..it was tough but engine running beautifully now..change oil again at 500miles and then 1000miles all mineral oil..Follow manual last time..so want to see difference..
Keep us posted really like to know how this break in plan works!

Ralph

I've worked on all sorts of engines for over 40 years over that time I have
seen 2 studies were two identical engines were run in, one as the maker intended
and the other hard, one was on a big'ish Diesel the other a Honda Fireblade, in
both cases the one run in hard gave a little more power but looking at the working
surfaces under a microscope showed a big difference the one run in according to
makers specs being much smoother, the other showing smearing and ripping of
the bearing surfaces, so if your only interested in power and short term ownership
then go ahead with the hard one if your going to run it for years go with the makers.

Darren

I've worked on all sorts of engines for over 40 years over that time I have
seen 2 studies were two identical engines were run in, one as the maker intended
and the other hard, one was on a big'ish Diesel the other a Honda Fireblade, in
both cases the one run in hard gave a little more power but looking at the working
surfaces under a microscope showed a big difference the one run in according to
makers specs being much smoother, the other showing smearing and ripping of
the bearing surfaces, so if your only interested in power and short term ownership
then go ahead with the hard one if your going to run it for years go with the makers.
Good post Ralph......just run mine in to the book. 7 days & 600 miles. Let the fun begin!

TJ63

I'm still ramping mine up to full revs. Using a self-imposed limit of 7000rpm (ish) up to 1500 miles.

Is there much more at the top of the rev range? It seems more of a torque monster than a rev-happy beast.