Would you keep your MT07?

DeadHead

If something starts to rust or corrode a matter of months after purchase it's not fit for purpose. I clean mine every week, each time it gets a covering of FS365 to help protect it, while this worked on my Kawasaki and had no rust or corrosion after 2 1/2 I can't say the same for the 07 I'm really not impressed but I haven't had a chance to go a speak with my dealer yet.
I can't even get the key into the lock to remove the pillion seat, I've sprayed oil in a number of times and it's just corroded so much i've got no chance and it's very flexable so don't want to force it.

mudrock

Thinking about it, If they did a trail version I might be tempted.
I agree, but maybe to much power for an off road trail bike, match it with a Honda transalp looking bike, now ur talking.
But If they put this engine into a xt660x , reduce the gearing, so max speed 100mph but keep the toque and power , that would be the dogs nuts.

ortogo

Definitely hoping to keep my mt07, its part of a long term plan. I'm planning to keep it stock for a couple of years, and then looking to turn it into a street flat tracker. I've been thinking about building a flat track style bike for a while now, originally I was looking at buying an xs650 yam to base it on but good examples are fetching 2 grand here in the UK and the xs650 is nowhere near as good a bike as the mt07, so that's the plan

Deputy

Keeping it. As per my other posts, I've owned other (mainly fast sports) bikes and on real world roads in 2015 a 1000cc sports bike capable of doing 100mph+ in first gear is just frustrating! I've looked at this years BMW R1200R, F800 and also Ducati 821, Scramblers etc. In reality what more would they give? Not much. The only reason I can see to swap in the near future is if my riding involves long distances again but for my current short journeys, on back roads, the MT07 is perfect.

FrostHazer

I would maybe change it in a year or two to something more powerful. Don't get me wrong, its amazing for a first bike but the desire for more power starts to grow bigger and bigger..! and here is the question, to fit an akra exhaust or not to fit it??!!

Deputy

I would maybe change it in a year or two to something more powerful. Don't get me wrong, its amazing for a first bike but the desire for more power starts to grow bigger and bigger..! and here is the question, to fit an akra exhaust or not to fit it??!!
Haha, I remember that power craze, now I'm on the other side of the curve and want useable road power! But, I still think that everyone who enjoys engines/bikes needs to own a 1000cc performance bike at least once and experience the acceleration buzz. Just watch out for others who won't realise how fast you are going. PS, don't bother with the exhaust. Just put the money towards the faster bike if that is your end goal. A few percent on the MT07 will not make a S1000RR....

FrostHazer

Haha, I remember that power craze, now I'm on the other side of the curve and want useable road power! But, I still think that everyone who enjoys engines/bikes needs to own a 1000cc performance bike at least once and experience the acceleration buzz. Just watch out for others who won't realise how fast you are going. PS, don't bother with the exhaust. Just put the money towards the faster bike if that is your end goal. A few percent on the MT07 will not make a S1000RR....
maybe a new bike wasnt the best choice for me cause I learned fast and got bored of it too. I was hearing people say that a 650-690 is too much for a beginner also some of my friends havent got bored on their first motorcycles (600 i4 streets,not ss) so i guess everyone is different...I will keep mt-07 at least a year more but I think doesnt worth it if you are going to change in a couple of years. The exhaust is something that would make the bike nicer and ridding more enjoyable, so im in dilemma cause its not that im going to sell it next month...

sdrio

maybe a new bike wasnt the best choice for me cause I learned fast and got bored of it too. I was hearing people say that a 650-690 is too much for a beginner also some of my friends havent got bored on their first motorcycles (600 i4 streets,not ss) so i guess everyone is different...I will keep mt-07 at least a year more but I think doesnt worth it if you are going to change in a couple of years. The exhaust is something that would make the bike nicer and ridding more enjoyable, so im in dilemma cause its not that im going to sell it next month...
I'm not sure it really works like that any more. I had big bikes starting in the late 80's, when there were no such things as speed cameras, and even if you were unlucky enough to get caught going nuts, the worse you'd get is a £30 ticket and a flea in your ear. I reckon the front wheel on my 1992 Fireblade did about 40% less mileage than the back . . .

Nowdays, especially in cities, it's really quite difficult to find anywhere to go beserk. There are cameras everywhere, and they seem to hand out speeding bans like confetti.

Not that I'd say anyone shouldn't get a big bike, but having a bike that will do 165mph instead of 120mph seems academic, unless you're taking it on a track.

I'm old.

FrostHazer

I'm not sure it really works like that any more. I had big bikes starting in the late 80's, when there were no such things as speed cameras, and even if you were unlucky enough to get caught going nuts, the worse you'd get is a £30 ticket and a flea in your ear. I reckon the front wheel on my 1992 Fireblade did about 40% less mileage than the back . . .

Nowdays, especially in cities, it's really quite difficult to find anywhere to go beserk. There are cameras everywhere, and they seem to hand out speeding bans like confetti.

Not that I'd say anyone shouldn't get a big bike, but having a bike that will do 165mph instead of 120mph seems academic, unless you're taking it on a track.

I'm old.
well, im not fun of extremely high speed but im addicted to acceleration..those 1 litre ss bikes do both very good, maybe more than im ready for. However, there are always middle options...

da1kini

well, im not fun of extremely high speed but im addicted to acceleration..those 1 litre ss bikes do both very good, maybe more than im ready for. However, there are always middle options...
from 0-80 km/h there is not that big a difference between a 1000 bike or the MT07. But after 80,90 and up to 250 km/h there is and at that speeds on streets your are bound for trouble with any bike.

FrostHazer

from 0-80 km/h there is not that big a difference between a 1000 bike or the MT07. But after 80,90 and up to 250 km/h there is and at that speeds on streets your are bound for trouble with any bike.
i've been on a aprilia tuono as a pillion and it was scary, nothing like mt-07. The feel its different when you're a pillion though but the pulling power was at an other level.

da1kini

i've been on a aprilia tuono as a pillion and it was scary, nothing like mt-07. The feel its different when you're a pillion though but the pulling power was at an other level.
Between 0-80 km/h there is not many bikes that aren't trimmed that pull harder than the MT07, sure you can feel like it with higher engine sound, or exhausts that sounds like formel 1 car etc etc but the hard core facts of torque per kilo and the time it takes to reach the same speed, then there is not much of a difference. But after about 80km/h the 1000 cc bikes come to life and then as you say the MT07 feels like a turtle in a rabbit race...

The MT07 have the best torque at 6.500 rpm if I remember correctly and and compared to most 1000 cc bikes they come to life at about 10.000-13.000 rpm, and of course +170Hp vs 74hp will make you go from A-B much faster and with greater pull. No doubt. But at lower speeds, mostly road legal speeds in and around towns there is not that big difference.

For example:

the BMW 1000RR has about 0.5 Nm per kilo – peak in torque at about 10.000 RPM and peak in power at 13.500 RPM = 0–100 km/h: 3.06 sec / 43 m (141 ft)

the MT07 has about 0.38 Nm per kilo –*peak in torque at about 6.000 RPM and peak in power at 9.000 RPM = 0–100 km/h: 3,6 sek

That is a bit difference, but the MT 07 will reach its peak in torque and power(hp) faster then a high rev bike and therefore have a head start, so if the difference is only about 1/2 second from 0-100 km/h then I would think that the time is made from about 70-100 km/h when the BMW starts performing at its peak.

Last edited:

Phil_B

I have to add to this now owning a street triple as well as the MT-07. I wanted a bit more power and sound and exoticness... and the triple certainly delivers that. At speeds above 50-60mph the street is definitely much quicker as the BHP difference and extra revs kick in.

But, getting back on the MT it is so easy to ride that it makes it great fun. Below 60mph you can overtake anything and ride it one finger braking and generally taking it easy whilst making good progress. The throttle is linear, forgiving and effortless in the sense that you're not frightened of it shooting off over bumps.

I WAS planning to sell my MT, but with that direct comparison against a better, faster bike - I'm not so sure now!

D

Deleted member 20

I dont care about top speed, or anything above 150 km/h for that matter
I love riding "hard" on twisty roads and I don't want/need to go super fast on the straights between the bends.
So for me the MT07 motor is brilliant, so is the light weight and flickability.
If it was my bike I would 1. replace pads to grippier Brembo SA/SP and 2. replace the rear shock and tweak the front sus (add some preload or replace spring, and increase dampening (thicker oil)).

FrostHazer

Between 0-80 km/h there is not many bikes that aren't trimmed that pull harder than the MT07, sure you can feel like it with higher engine sound, or exhausts that sounds like formel 1 car etc etc but the hard core facts of torque per kilo and the time it takes to reach the same speed, then there is not much of a difference. But after about 80km/h the 1000 cc bikes come to life and then as you say the MT07 feels like a turtle in a rabbit race...

The MT07 have the best torque at 6.500 rpm if I remember correctly and and compared to most 1000 cc bikes they come to life at about 10.000-13.000 rpm, and of course +170Hp vs 74hp will make you go from A-B much faster and with greater pull. No doubt. But at lower speeds, mostly road legal speeds in and around towns there is not that big difference.

For example:

the BMW 1000RR has about 0.5 Nm per kilo – peak in torque at about 10.000 RPM and peak in power at 13.500 RPM = 0–100 km/h: 3.06 sec / 43 m (141 ft)

the MT07 has about 0.38 Nm per kilo –*peak in torque at about 6.000 RPM and peak in power at 9.000 RPM = 0–100 km/h: 3,6 sek

That is a bit difference, but the MT 07 will reach its peak in torque and power(hp) faster then a high rev bike and therefore have a head start, so if the difference is only about 1/2 second from 0-100 km/h then I would think that the time is made from about 70-100 km/h when the BMW starts performing at its peak.
your numbers are correct but i think the reality is different than what numbers suggest. I haven't been a pillion on mt-07 (as i have said is a different feel if you dont ride the bike) so i dont know how it feels, but compairing the pulling force of tuono as a pillion and mt as a rider the difference in pulling power is serious...also that tuono was 2 cylinder.I think only the last model is v4, isnt that right?

Torque

your numbers are correct but i think the reality is different than what numbers suggest. I haven't been a pillion on mt-07 (as i have said is a different feel if you dont ride the bike) so i dont know how it feels, but compairing the pulling force of tuono as a pillion and mt as a rider the difference in pulling power is serious...also that tuono was 2 cylinder.I think only the last model is v4, isnt that right?
Then be a pillion on the MT-07 and then compare! The pillion will always feel more 'apparent' pulling power than the rider so your comparison is totally invalid. Haven't you been a passenger in a car that's cornering hard? Whereas the driver can remain sat in quite a stable position, you as the passenger are being flung around a lot. You see the driver has a more direct connection to the car and also knows when a sudden change of direction or acceleration will be occuring (foot to the floor). The perception of acceleration for the driver will be lessened through pre-empted psychological and physiological stimuli.

Same on a bike. In English... I twist the throttle, my brain and body prepare for the sudden rush of acceleration, the effect is predicted and compensated for and is therefore lessened compared to my pillion who, even if told the bike will be accelerating, cannot prepare at the same 'bare metal' level as me. The ride finishes and my pillion gets of the bike and says 'dude that ride was scary', I reply 'I wasn't even trying!'

Ralph

There are not many riders that can make full use of the power of a 1000 cc bike without hurting themselves.
Go on be honest how many of you habitually run out of power on the MT, I don't, I do on my Morini, a TransAlp,
BMW R850R and my Burgman 400 was often against the stop but I have yet to be surprised by the MT hitting the stop.

DeadHead

I think the S1000R would have been the better choice over the RR model as that is the street version and so offers more torque than the RR lower down the rev range.

FrostHazer

Then be a pillion on the MT-07 and then compare! The pillion will always feel more 'apparent' pulling power than the rider so your comparison is totally invalid. Haven't you been a passenger in a car that's cornering hard? Whereas the driver can remain sat in quite a stable position, you as the passenger are being flung around a lot. You see the driver has a more direct connection to the car and also knows when a sudden change of direction or acceleration will be occuring (foot to the floor). The perception of acceleration for the driver will be lessened through pre-empted psychological and physiological stimuli.

Same on a bike. In English... I twist the throttle, my brain and body prepare for the sudden rush of acceleration, the effect is predicted and compensated for and is therefore lessened compared to my pillion who, even if told the bike will be accelerating, cannot prepare at the same 'bare metal' level as me. The ride finishes and my pillion gets of the bike and says 'dude that ride was scary', I reply 'I wasn't even trying!'
y that's what i said, its not the same...but dont forget something, that tuono had + almost 90 kilos (me). When I ride my MT with a pillion feels like it has less power due to increase in weight. (easier wheelies though!!!)

FrostHazer

There are not many riders that can make full use of the power of a 1000 cc bike without hurting themselves.
Go on be honest how many of you habitually run out of power on the MT, I don't, I do on my Morini, a TransAlp,
BMW R850R and my Burgman 400 was often against the stop but I have yet to be surprised by the MT hitting the stop.
what do you mean by "stop"?