Well, someone tried to nick my bike yesterday. To repair or not . . ?

sdrio

Cutting a long story short, they whacked the bars to break the steering lock, appear to have tried to wheel it forward (presumably into a waiting van), found it had a disk lock on and abandoned it. Maybe they were attracting attention, it was a busy street in broad daylight.

The casting around the barrel broke, and the steering lock pin was bent. I couldn't get the key to turn because of the bent pin (so couldn't start the bike), so called the RAC out, who took me and the bike home on a truck.

So, opinions please (and sympathy, if you feel so inclined :D )

I'm guessing as the entire casting would need replacing, that this isn't going to be cheap to fix properly. I'm also thinking if I take the thing apart, remove the steering lock mechanism altogether, and am theoretically left with a working barrel, but no steering lock, I'm not really losing much.

Logic being, the steering lock is pretty useless anyway if someone can just whack the bars to break it.

Insurance - I have an excess of about £400, so it may be that it's not worth claiming for, and losing my no claims into the bargain. I made a claim for theft 2 years ago, so I'm probably not their favourite client anyway.

What would you do? I'm thinking to do a quick fix and leave it as it is. Everything else works, as far as I can see.

Have to say, I've never had a bike that has caused me so much grief. If I have to fix it, I'll take it as a sign and get rid of it.

Ralph

Price the bits up and then decide, if you sell the buyer would be suspicious of a bike with damaged lock. so fixing it
would help it sell. Using the bike with the lock removed would likely invalidate theft insurance if the insurers found out.

sdrio

Price the bits up and then decide, if you sell the buyer would be suspicious of a bike with damaged lock. so fixing it
would help it sell. Using the bike with the lock removed would likely invalidate theft insurance if the insurers found out.
Good point on the insurance, hadn't thought of that. Guess I'd better bite the bullet and get it fixed.

I wouldn't try to sell it like that though.

busey

Get price to repair if it costs alot claim on insurance if they right it off you should be able to bye it back normally 10℅ of market value

da1kini

Don't you guys in UK have insurance companies worth the name?
If my bike gets stolen or damaged I pay between €150 - €200 then they fix they bike as new or get me e new bike.

Sorry to hear this Sdrio, and I would also sell the bike if I had your problems with it.

sdrio

Don't you guys in UK have insurance companies worth the name?
If my bike gets stolen or damaged I pay between €150 - €200 then they fix they bike as new or get me e new bike.

Sorry to hear this Sdrio, and I would also sell the bike if I had your problems with it.
Most of the insurance companies have 'compulsory' excess, and a voluntary one. It usually adds up to about £400 or so. Add to that the fact you lose your no claims bonus if you claim, and you need quite a lot of damage before it's worth claiming.

Way I see it, my insurance is only really good for a total write off of the bike, either by accident or theft.

I'm looking this weekend. I haven't completely written off the idea of an MT09, but I'm not desperate to buy another Yamaha right now. Probably look at Triumph and Ducatti as well.

sdrio

Update, the cost for just the parts is around £850. With labour, it'll come in at a grand.

Yoicks. Looks like I'll be losing my no claims bonus again.

Ralph

The other option is if you are looking for a change take it as is to the dealer be up front
and see if they will make a reasonable px offer, it will after all cost them less to fix than it would you
and they may need a sale so you could get a good deal without fixing it, costs nothing to ask.

nobull

Most of the insurance companies have 'compulsory' excess, and a voluntary one. It usually adds up to about £400 or so. Add to that the fact you lose your no claims bonus if you claim, and you need quite a lot of damage before it's worth claiming.

Way I see it, my insurance is only really good for a total write off of the bike, either by accident or theft.

I'm looking this weekend. I haven't completely written off the idea of an MT09, but I'm not desperate to buy another Yamaha right now. Probably look at Triumph and Ducatti as well.
Know how you feel about getting another Yam, I contacted their customer services to make a formal complaint about my local dealership, they as good as said they don't care what their dealers do, and ignored my follow up email! Absolutely amazed. I was considering an R1, not a chance now! Honda were far more interested when I had bike & dealer problems, & actually helped directly. Pity their model range is a bit dull at moment.

da1kini

Thats pretty expensive, well save your money and buy a augusta mv brutale dragster 800 RR :)