Very different handling after tiers change

iskaron

Hello,

My bike got new tires after 15k km. I went from original Bridgestones for Michelin PR4 (based on discussions here).
I just did 10km ride on them and the bike feel really different when turning/leaning (slow speed, little lean). The bike is quicker to lean and in the actual lean the rear wheel doesn't seem that stable/planted as before. It's hard to describe.
My question.

Could the tyres change make the handling so different or it's more probable that the change wasn't done right?
The tyre pressure is ok and there is no visible problem with the tyres/wheels..

Eddieh93

Maybe you tyres were really flat and a little deflated you will notice a big difference if the tyre pressures were low on the old tyres in comparison to the new tyres.

Ralph

10 km is nothing on new tyres due to releasing agents on the surface they take
about 100 miles 160 km to sort themselves out always take it easy on
new tyres or you will end up sliding down the road.

Different tyres always feel different on bikes also the new will be a different profile
due to ware just take it easy I am sure you will be happy ones you get more miles
on them.

Last edited:

sdrio

Maybe you tyres were really flat and a little deflated you will notice a big difference if the tyre pressures were low on the old tyres in comparison to the new tyres.
I think this is correct. Old tyres get worn, and they start to square off - this can have a significant effect on cornering, as you're effectively running on a narrow ridge, which can 'hop' across the road.

Newer tyres will lean more smoothly, and will have a bigger contact area when leaning. They will almost always feel very different to the old ones you're used to.

I got all this from my Dad when I was a kid. He was Met traffic police, and worked as an accident reconstructor. He used to explain all this useless shit to me and my brother. He also used to have a briefcase full of accident scene photos, which my brother and I used to sneak a look at. Nothing like a bit of gore to amuse a pair of 10 and 11 year old kids.

Mr M

In the sales blurb for the PR4 it states 'Both the standard and Trail tires utilize a similar carcass to the Pilot Road 3 but with a steeper, more triangulated profile for quicker steering response.' So what you are feeling is the effect of falling off of the point of the 'triangle' which gets you onto the side of the tyre quicker.
I personally don't like this type of profile , preferring the slower but more even response of a round profile, but it is a characteristic, not a fault.

iskaron

Thank you guys, you're being very helpful. I love this forum.
It scared me a bit, now I've put another 20km and either I'm getting used to it or the tyres are breaking in (or both) and it feels more natural now.
I guess the point Mr M is right, they do feel like they fall to the lean a bit, bridgestones did go more evenly.

Thanks again.