Sick Screen !!!

Tamura

Jeppebm, I am also confused by engraved white logo, which to me is a not a good taste )). however I thought of carefully filing the engraved lines with some kind of black or dark red paint to make it more subtle. This may solve the " big logo problem"...

Tamura

Pgeldz, can you please compare DPM vs Rizoma screens in terms of wind flow effect (if you tried both already? thanks a lot!

pgeldz

Ok fellas (and ladies)... :)

Finally got around to getting this thing installed!

Let me say this straight away...the DPM screen WILL NOT fit a US spec FZ-07 as-is.

The screen is meant to go over the turn signal housings on each side. The European turn signal housings are much shorter than the US Spec ones, so the screen will not sit flush on our bikes.

There are 2 ways around this...

1) Trim the sides of the screen higher, or cut them off altogether.

2) Use offset bushings to lift the screen up a bit to clear the turn signal housings.

In my particular case, my Suburban Machinery handlebars are more forward than stock, and as such puts the controls closer to the screen. Even if I trim the sides of the screen, it'll still hit my brake line and prevent it from sitting flush. Of course, I could notch it out to accommodate the brake line, but I decided to use the offset bushings instead just to see how it looks on the bike. I used nylon spacer bushings bought at ACE hardware, and found the exact same stainless steel hardware it came with, only in longer lengths. I used a 40mm length bolt for the rear, and a 35mm length bolt in the front. Again, same as the DPM stuff, only longer to accommodate the nylon bushings.

You can see I outlined the edges of the screen and turn signal housing in Green and Red, respectively. The Green edge of screen is supposed to go over the Red edge of the turn signal housing, but you can see here it's resting above it using the offset nylon spacer bushings...otherwise it won't fit.

RAIa0hal.jpg

A shot of the nylon bushings:

z12MHFZl.jpg

pgeldz

So here's the comparisons...

DPM Race aluminum screen on the left, Rizoma aluminum screen on the right:

5ze85iol.jpg

JUJa9vyl.jpg

k5Biif1l.jpg

vhm2xXLl.jpg

My thoughts? Well, I haven't ridden with the Rizoma, but I rode with the DPM yesterday. The DPM screen definitely works to keep wind off you, but keep in mind it's at more of a vertical angle because of the offset bushings. If it was flush like it's supposed to be, it might have a different effect.

I'm really on the fence on this one, because there is a certain element of the DPM screen I like - it works well with the number plate design I've been toying with. However, it's just too tall for my taste, aesthetically. That, and because the sides don't go over the turn signal housing it's not as "clean" looking as depicted on the European bike.

I like the angle of the Rizoma better, but it mounts to brackets and doesn't sit flush with the headlight housing.

Honestly, I like the bike better without either screen. I just wanted something to take up the space between the headlight housing and the instrument cluster to clean up the lines in that area, and to have a spot for my number plate design.

I think I'm going to experiment with the DPM screen and cut the sides so it's flush with the headlight housing, and reshape the top so it's not as tall and accommodates my brake line. That should let it sit flush with the headlight housing like it's supposed to be, it'll be shorter, and it'll be at more of a swept back angle like the Rizoma - plus I can still do my number plate design on it.

It's not over yet folks!!!

:)

- Paulie

pgeldz

As for the DPM rear hugger, I'm undecided if I like it or not.

Here's a shot with, and without. It's not actually installed...it's just resting on the rear tire.

With:

meHCu20l.jpg

Without:

Yjp1YJUl.jpg

I just don't know if I like it or not. I like the idea of the hugger...I mean, it's a perfect match for the screen and all, but I think it's a little too long. It looks cleaner without. Sometimes less is more.

Your thoughts?

- Paulie

Torque

As for the DPM rear hugger, I'm undecided if I like it or not.

I just don't know if I like it or not. I like the idea of the hugger...I mean, it's a perfect match for the screen and all, but I think it's a little too long. It looks cleaner without. Sometimes less is more.

Your thoughts?

- Paulie
I'm of the same thinking as I'm in the process of tidying up the rear of the bike to achieve a minimalist design. To this end I've fitted an Ermax pillion seat cover and taken off the pillion footpegs (replaced with blanking plates). At the weekend I'm removing the (butt!) ugly stock number plate holder and fitting an Evotech tail tidy and the Yamaha LED indicators.

I did think of buying and fitting the Ermax hugger, but having done a Photoshop exercise with how the rear of the bike looks with and without the hugger I prefer the more naked look of the rear tyre without the hugger. Not as practical I know but... form over function in this case :p

pgeldz

I'm of the same thinking as I'm in the process of tidying up the rear of the bike to achieve a minimalist design. To this end I've fitted an Ermax pillion seat cover and taken off the pillion footpegs (replaced with blanking plates). At the weekend I'm removing the (butt!) ugly stock number plate holder and fitting an Evotech tail tidy and the Yamaha LED indicators.

I did think of buying and fitting the Ermax hugger, but having done a Photoshop exercise with how the rear of the bike looks with and without the hugger I prefer the more naked look of the rear tyre without the hugger. Not as practical I know but... form over function in this case :p
I just ordered the Ermax rear hugger to see what it'll look like. I'm going for a certain look, and I think the DPM is just too long. The stock one is good too, but the shape of the Ermax one goes with my overall theme. It looks to be a little shorter as well, like a good in-between of the stock and DPM lengths.

If it's too overpowering visually, I'll just leave the stock one :)

- Paulie

addy

I just ordered the Ermax rear hugger to see what it'll look like. I'm going for a certain look, and I think the DPM is just too long. The stock one is good too, but the shape of the Ermax one goes with my overall theme. It looks to be a little shorter as well, like a good in-between of the stock and DPM lengths.

If it's too overpowering visually, I'll just leave the stock one :)

- Paulie
I have the ermax hugger in black on mine, as you said it's an in-between of the stock and dpm, the dpm looks like it would give a lot of protection but spoils the naked look a bit.

pgeldz

I have the ermax hugger in black on mine, as you said it's an in-between of the stock and dpm, the dpm looks like it would give a lot of protection but spoils the naked look a bit.
Can you snap a few good full bike shots with the Ermax hugger? I haven't seen a Black one on a bike yet, only the two tone versions, and it's hard to get a good idea of what it'll look like.

- Paulie

Thomas Crown

Paulie, just wait for the gilles speedo relocation bracket. That will give you the aesthetic youre looking for. T minus 3 weeks until they are for sale.

addy

Can you snap a few good full bike shots with the Ermax hugger? I haven't seen a Black one on a bike yet, only the two tone versions, and it's hard to get a good idea of what it'll look like.

- Paulie
Yea I'll try and get a few pics if the weather holds up. I went for the black one cause I wanted it to just blend in with the swing arm.

addy

IMG_20150129_095823.jpg
IMG_20150129_095757.jpg
IMG_20150129_095859.jpg

Only have my phone to take pics so not the greatest but hopefully they give you an idea.

pgeldz

Paulie, just wait for the gilles speedo relocation bracket. That will give you the aesthetic youre looking for. T minus 3 weeks until they are for sale.
I saw that, but I'd like to see good full side shot of a bike with it fitted. Happen to have any? :)

View attachment 1470
View attachment 1471
View attachment 1469

Only have my phone to take pics so not the greatest but hopefully they give you an idea.
Thank you so much for the pics! Looks like a good in-between. We'll see how it goes when mine arrives...

- Paulie