Oil Change

D

Deleted member 20

10w40 synthetic with Jaso MA2 and API:SM spec (API:SG or higher). Any brand. Any brand synthetic is always better than most expensive mineral or blend (semi synth). No one will ever tell you what's in the "semi" blend, if it's 1% or 30% synthetic oil. Mineral is cheaper so you can make your own guess how Castrol, Motul etc, make their profits on blend :)

This is the oil I use, price is £ 6,25 per L.

http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/MC/Olja-och-kemikalier/4-takt/Helsyntetisk-MC-olja-10W40-36958/

Last edited by a moderator:

rodde

Anders, do you know if Biltema have an oil filter for the MT07?
I will do the 1000km oil change next weekend. I will buy the oil you recommend.

D

Deleted member 20

Biltema oil filters suck - DO NOT USE!
Do only use K&N KN204, HiFlo HF204 or HR204R. Cheap on eBay.

All filters are made in Thailand (Yamaha, K&N, HiFlo, Biltema etc.) but the filters from Biltema looks like crap, the others doesn't. Biltema do have a 204-size filter but AVOID!

Biltema oil is made in Sweden by Nynas (former Nynäs Petroleum) owned by Neste Oil in Finland. Top class products!

View attachment 1067

Last edited by a moderator:

rodde

Thanks for the advice Anders!
I will buy the oil in Biltema and the filter at XL-Moto or eBay (K&N KN204, HiFlo HF204 or HR204R)

Phil_B

Loneranger. I'm going to do an oil change now mine is nearing 3500 miles. I am going to go for Castrol Power 1 10w40 (the non "racing version"). Widely available in Halfords, Semi-synth which is fine in this bike and buying 3 litres will give you some spare for top ups.

loneranger

cheers. used mobil 1 fully synt as recommended by the dealer plus yamaha filter. I also changed the washer on the plug. All good. will do again when at 6000 took me 15 minutes.

Phil_B

Changed mine this evening. Not had a chance to see if it made any difference to smoothness.

Just changed the oil and not the filter as it's only at a half interval. Hopefully it won't be too pointless.

Ralph

It's worth doing early in the engines life to get rid of metal from the running in process,
a magnetic sump plug is also a good idea, but after the 6000 mile service I will stick
to the service intervals.

busey

Just got 3000 miles on mine will do oil change when bike put away for winter (when the gritters come out)

rodde

Hi, confused....
2,6 liters or 2,9 liters (inclusive oil filter)

Manual 2,6
2,9 stamp in the oil sump

Phil_B

Pretty sure it's 2.3 or 2.6. Without the filter being changed I can confirm it took about 2.25 litres to fill up.

Since you'll have to buy 3l minimum. I would put in the first two fairly quickly and then add small amounts from there using the window to measure. So the final amount shouldn't matter too much!

rodde

yes 2,6 liters is correct. I filled up 2,9 according to the text mark on the oil sump but was too much,
I needed to remove 3 dl and then it was correct according to the marks (glass).

Maybe 2,9 is ween the engine is completely new and the very first oil fill need more.