Oh Dear...

DJP

Well, I rode my MT on salted roads for the first time the other day.

Washed it when I got home and today I found that the front caliper bolts and the brake pipe unions are scabby as fook.

Doesn't bode well for winter use.

The same bits on my Bandit looked better after 7 years...:(

sven11

Oh.... Shit sorry to hear that, can you share some pics so we know what to look for. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sven11

Wow this looks really bad considering the amount of usage

Ralph

Hells bells that looks bad, didn't know they salted the roads in London, not
had any round here yet and we are nr Lancaster.

DJP

To be honest, I'm not that bothered - I bought this bike to use and at least it's a non-ABS model so it won't be too hard to change the brake lines for ones with stainless fittings.

It's just that I haven't owned a Yamaha for about 15 years and I'm shocked to find that the finish is still the same!

Ralph

The finish does not give the impression it will dissolve at the first sign of salt,
can you imagine car owners putting up with this, not a chance.

jeppebm

i sure hope it cleans up that, with the use of proper cleaning products... i wont have that issue as im not riding mine in winther.

towner87

I clean mine as often as possible and use WD40 on bits like this and bolt heads ect..got 2700 miles on it and ride all conditions daily. I cant see how after one ride on salted roads yours looks so bad, even you disk looks corroded!! I hope you manage to clean her up.

Quick question did you ask for the BT023 to be put on as I thought they only came with the ABS models? and how do you find them?

Ralph

My Suzuki Burgman did look similar after being left in the garage for 2 or 3 days after a short trip to the shops, though it was also eating the engine cases,
My Kawasaki Versys only had corrosion on of all things the bar end weights after 4 winters,
And my old Morini hasn't got that bad after 20 odd winters and is now 40 years old,
My Renault Clio is 10 has no rust and is rarely washed after 120,000 miles,
Why is it that some bikes look showroom clean after a 100 mile ride in all weathers and other look like they have been used for MotoX after going down the shops?

DJP

...Quick question did you ask for the BT023 to be put on as I thought they only came with the ABS models? and how do you find them?
No, I didn't ask for them and they're not as good as the Michelin PR3s (which I used on my last bike). To be fair, the Bridgestones are holding up OK (4,500 miles and still look new) and they're fine in the dry but not very confidence inspiring in the wet. Don't get me wrong, I haven't had any "Moments" as such, but the Bridgestones are quite "Squirmy" especially over white lines and uneven road surfaces and you can feel them moving around.

Never had that with the PR3s.

DJP

Well, today I gave the offending parts a good scrub with SDOC 100 and an old toothbrush. There's some improvement, although the caliper bolts have got some corrosion that won't come off, the discs are rusty where the pads don't touch and although the brake pipe unions look clean, the finish (whatever it is) has actually come off. Hmmm...

corrosion 2 400.jpg

Ralph

That looks better, bathroom mousse is good stuff as long as you wast it off well
then in winter spray with something wd-40 ish but keep it off the pads n discs.

towner87

That looks so much better! I have the black finish coming off of my gear link connection, don't think they put the best finish of bits like this. I've got pictures of moisture under my lcd screen too [emoji20]