Official Yamaha numberplate holder rusting away!

blueglue

Has anyone else having problems with aftermarket accessories?

I had ridden my bike about four or five times this year and inevitably picked up some road salt on the bike. I washed it off on Sunday and the bike came up all shiny apart from the Yamaha number plate holder. Very disappointed considering these things arent cheap (and a pain in the rear to install).
The powdercoat seems very thin unless it was just coloured in with a sharpie :D

20150201_132308_zpscd6e9867.jpg

sdrio

I plaster mine with ACF50 whenever I wash it, but the bolts holding the discs onto the front wheel have all started rusting.

The MT07 is built to a budget. A lot of it is cheap crap.

Ralph

Mine is holding up nicely, my last Suzuki ridden in the same conditions turned
to a fur ball in 2 or 3 days. The bike that is it's still got the org numberplate bracket.
I would def show the dealer and see what is said these bits are not cheap and
should be fit for use.

Last edited:

blueglue

I plaster mine with ACF50 whenever I wash it, but the bolts holding the discs onto the front wheel have all started rusting.

The MT07 is built to a budget. A lot of it is cheap crap.
Ill probably smarten it up a bit then ACF50 too. Ive gotta keep mine ship shape for three years with the pcp finance i took through Yamaha/Blackhorse.

Just out of interest do you use the aerosol ACF50 or the spray/fill can type? Im ordering some chain lube & cleaner and will grab some ACF too today.

jeppebm

That is hard on most bikes - that why most of us in denmark choose the insurances with no driving allowed Dec-jan-feb - cause thats the harshest winter months here in Denmark. Plus we dont want trouble like that!

Ralph

It always annoys me that I can wash my car once a month if it's lucky and it comes up
like new, the brakes never give problems and so on no matter how much salt it as to put
up with but don't clean the bike after a single run were there's road salt and it turns to
rust and blows away, our own fault for not insisting on parts being replaced they would
then have to make bike that are intended to be used instead of weekend toys.

sdrio

Ill probably smarten it up a bit then ACF50 too. Ive gotta keep mine ship shape for three years with the pcp finance i took through Yamaha/Blackhorse.

Just out of interest do you use the aerosol ACF50 or the spray/fill can type? Im ordering some chain lube & cleaner and will grab some ACF too today.
I bought a big bottle of it, which came with a small pump up aerosol that you refill. It doesn't work that well - doesn't atomise the stuff, so I use one of those bug spray things. You can get them in Homebase for a couple of quid.

I find the best way is to spray it on, then go around the nooks and crannies with a paintbrush, and then wipe up any mess with a cloth.

Of course I'm usually careful about getting stuff on the disks / brakepads, hence the rusty bolts. I'm now doing those manually, but the damage is probably already done.

blueglue

I bought a big bottle of it, which came with a small pump up aerosol that you refill. It doesn't work that well - doesn't atomise the stuff, so I use one of those bug spray things. You can get them in Homebase for a couple of quid.

I find the best way is to spray it on, then go around the nooks and crannies with a paintbrush, and then wipe up any mess with a cloth.

Of course I'm usually careful about getting stuff on the disks / brakepads, hence the rusty bolts. I'm now doing those manually, but the damage is probably already done.
Cheers for the tip. Ive ordered it in a bottle (that comes with the pump) but ill drop in my local B&Q and get a spray bottle too. :)

The Dutchman

Wow, that's pretty extreme!
Have noticed most nuts and bolts are starting to rust, but haven't seen this yet.
Such a shame, since it makes the bike look very cheap :(

S2VML

The bolts on my discs rusted too with exposure to road salt. But the rust came off easily with a bit of T-cut and I have since then used scottoiler on the affected parts and no more rust !

sdrio

The bolts on my discs rusted too with exposure to road salt. But the rust came off easily with a bit of T-cut and I have since then used scottoiler on the affected parts and no more rust !
I'll have a go with that this weekend. Cheers.

[edit] er, just a thought . . . you mean you wiped some oil on them, right? I just had this sudden vision of a scotoiler slowly dripping oil onto your disks. :D

Last edited: