• windscreen

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • exhaust

Votes: 38 61.3%

• Total voters

gregjet

and30ers:
Footpegs rear and brackets 1060g
You won't save a heap on changing the bars to the Renthals and the std bars only weigh 640g which is pretty light for steel bars, but you will save a bit. Renthal ultra lows going on mine because I want to lower and move my body more forward and they are my favorite bars. The bars ends are seriously heavy and can go. No need for the bar end weights though as the engine doesn't vibrate much anyway and the renthals have a ureathane piece down the middle to help damp vibration anyway.
If you aren't a style fanatic, the right plate that bolts on to the swingarm pivot does pretty much nothing. It's there as a fake aluminium frame member. Mine's gone. The left one acts as a bit of chain crud fling protection and in case the chain breaks so I have left it there for the time being until I can fabricate a light but capable replacement.
Rear seat is going and I will replace with a carbon fibre cover when I get a chance to make one. stock seat weight 730g. Carbon ones usually weiigh about 100 or less depending on how I make them.
Changing to an Ohlins shock but suspect lot a lot of weight difference as the spring is usually the majority of the weight but we will see. The Ohlins on by BMW weighed only 100g different from the std Sachs steel pogostick. Lost that with the addition of gold valves to the front. The MT07 will get the same treatment.

D

Deleted member 20

Already have Renthal Ultra Low for the ride position. Next up is Lion battery at €95. Think Nitron is less weight than Öhlins rear and probably strong enough, also better priced.

Last edited by a moderator:

CVSensei

wanted a stubby exhaust and the akra was too expensive, arrow too long and leovince to boxy (plus scorpion have been at it a while) i got fixated on having a scorpion and placed the order as soon as it was announced, luckily the sound is awesome (with baffle in)
from what i remember of the test ride (darkside tour) you didnt hear the akra (baffle in) untill revs topped 5k
the scorpion burbles nicely even in slow traffic.
Have you tried it with the baffle out? Or is it loud already? I was going to go with the Akra but its so expensive.. Just saw that and realised the Scorpion looks so much better and cheaper! Also if you have a bellypan does it fit alright?

Last edited:

Noggie

I think the biggest weight loss can normally be achieved on the rider.

what is the point of spending lots of money to get the bike 5kg lighter, if you can drop 10kg by changing your own habits.
I'm about 100kg, it would be much more beneficial if I lost 15-20kg, than to spend a lot of money to make my MT 5 kg lighter.

CVSensei

what is the point of spending lots of money to get the bike 5kg lighter, if you can drop 10kg by changing your own habits.
I'm about 100kg, it would be much more beneficial if I lost 15-20kg, than to spend a lot of money to make my MT 5 kg lighter.
And then you really will get all the girls ;) As if you need to lose weight to get girls when you have an MT..

Noggie

And then you really will get all the girls ;) As if you need to lose weight to get girls when you have an MT..
Sadly girls aren't as attracted to bikes and cars as us men. Being close to 40 also means the younger girls have no interest regardless :)
That said, despite my above recommended weight I in no way obese, but I sure could use to loose a few kg. and I think the MT just might help me with that.

CVSensei

Then you're not associating with the right type of girls my friend ;) But yes you make a good point about the weight!

D

Deleted member 20

I'm 194 cm and 81½ kg so ther isn't many kg's for me to drop.

My wife drives the MT, low weight is key for her confidence. Coming from her previous 210 kg XJ6-N ABS to her 30 kg lighter MT07A was brilliant. Dropping another 10 kg (on the MT) would make her even happier. Dropping another 5 kg (on her) would make me even happer.

D

Deleted member 20

There would still be plenty of wobbly bits, trust me ;-)

Noggie

Then you're not associating with the right type of girls my friend ;) But yes you make a good point about the weight!
I guess that depends on if you are looking for fun, of something serious.

I'm 194 cm and 81½ kg so ther isn't many kg's for me to drop.

My wife drives the MT, low weight is key for her confidence. Coming from her previous 210 kg XJ6-N ABS to her 30 kg lighter MT07A was brilliant. Dropping another 10 kg (on the MT) would make her even happier. Dropping another 5 kg (on her) would make me even happer.
This does not apply to everyone of course, but in most cases I guess the rider has the greatest potential for weight reduction.
Weight is a huge factor for sure, also where that weight sits, the lower the better, and I'm talking about the bike :)

gregjet

Lowering the rider AND bike weight is always beneficial. Not just to acceleration but also to handling and braking. However, if you lower the rider weight ( assuming not grossly over weight) and not the bike, the ratio of the rider weight to the bike weight changes to make it require more rider input for the same handling ( particular and rider weight shifting) outcomes. I could lose between 5 and 8 kg to get back to optimum fitness but I have already removed over 5 from the bike. Mainly Exhaust change and battery change ie Akra snail pipe carbon and LiFePO4 Shorai battery. The rear seat will go and be replaced by a carbon cover and hopefully I can figure how to get a 160 or 170/60 tyre to dump that ridiculous heavy stupidly oversize hog profile rear tyre that should shed some more weight. And that would be rotating weight so the effect on the whole bike should be very beneficial. Of course there will be some offsets. Oggy type slider knobs ( currently making them), Radiator grill, air divider ( carbon already made modified copy of a Cagiva Raptor divider) and an extended bellypan ( still to design and make).

Welsh Wizard

G'Day Gregjet,

My name is Alan (Welsh Wizard) and I live at Samford just 20kms north west of Brisbane.

I recently traded in my 2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 and bought a Yamaha MT-07-HO . Although I absolutely love the MT-07 I have serious concern with both the front and rear suspension on the MT when riding over some of Queensland's shit roads, and I have started the process of changing/modifying both the front and rear suspension. Before Christmas I ordered a Willbers (German) "Type 640 Road" rear shock through the Willbers importer in Melbourne and should receive the shock in early February. I advised them to base the spring on a 70kgs weight of rider (62 kgs plus clothing). I am advised that the design of this Willbers rear shock is based on an Ohlins rear shock design. Once I've got the rear sorted out I'll then start on the front. My current thoughts are to put a heavier weight oil in the front forks, and also fit a pair of CNC preload fork cap adjusters so that I have some adjustment ability on the front.

I'm in the process of checking on a suitable suspension outfit in the Brisbane area that has a good track record in the fitting and setting up of motorcycle shocks, so do you know of any good suspension outfits in Brisbane that you can recommend?

BTW, I intend making a trip up north in early March and will be passing through Bundaberg so maybe we could catch up?

Here is a photograph of my MT-07.

P1080317.jpg

Any suggestions that you have on correct procedure for setting up the suspension would be much appreciated...............

Thanks,

Alan ( aka Welsh Wizard )

KEVINJSTANLEY

3600miles on the cage.
exhaust Akra modified baffle
Maxton front shock rebuild [adjustable] £810 fitted
Led rear
Tail Tidy
Yamaha rear seat cowl
brake clutch lever [superb £16 Chinese]
replaced OE fairing with puig tourer
Yamaha rear rack
Yamaha back box
Yamaha saddle bag supports

of all of these the suspension gives so much more confidence than original and for the reasons already stated, however value for money has to go to the Chinese brake and clutch lever

robodene

G'Day Gregjet,

My name is Alan (Welsh Wizard)...so do you know of any good suspension outfits in Brisbane that you can recommend?
Thanks,
Alan ( aka Welsh Wizard )
There are a number of Australians on the mt-owners-club.org forum who might be able help you.

BuLLiTT

Mods so far:
- Yoshimura exhaust (awesome, should be standard) $1180AU
- New adjustable levers (way more comfortable and controllable) $120AU
- Evotech radiator guard (stop the damage and it's pretty) $150-200AU
- Comfort seat (needed it but isn't easy to tell difference at first) $300AU !!!!
- Pinstriped rims
- Removed rear foot pegs
- Mustard Bikes tail tidy (tassie made) $100AU
- Wilbers 640 rear shock and RaceTech front springs (much better, more precise and less wallowy all round) $1200AU fitted

Trying to keep the clean and tidy look, I really do like the tank stickers on the yellow version in AUS. Wish they made them as accessories so I could fit on my white bike.
Thinking about an air filter, but aside from that anything else for power is big $$$ and I'm happy enough with the power between 60kmh and 100kmh (on my L's so that's all I have). 3rd gear is very fun in the hills here.......

Suspension wise it's a choice really. If the front braking diving issue is your main concern get the fork springs changed, as it's much cheaper than the rear. If rebound is giving you grief then you may as well do both.
I don't think it's the worst I've used. For people who intend on keeping it, it's still worth doing at some point as it just feels more direct. I'm the silly bugger who got one and is eying off that MT10. In any case I'm enjoying myself.....

PanosGR

My Deep Armor mods at 6250Km
Mirrors extensions - ebay 24 euros (so i can see past my shoulders)
Sort brake and clutch levers - ebay 22 euros (More comfortable and better quality than i expected, color is great so far)
Rizoma frame sliders (installed by the dealer) 100 euros Very good quality and protection.
Metasystem alarm system (installed by the dealer) 100 euros
Evotech radiator guard (for beauty and protection) 90 euros
Ermax Undertail Deep Armor (for beauty) It was a gift (240 euros)
Ermax Rear Hugger Solid Deep Armor (for beauty and reducing the mud to the suspension) 210 euros.
Led indicators, adapters, cables, - ebay 50 euros. I only cut the plate light cable.
Removed the tank cover stickers.

I want to replace the footpegs but still looking something to really like.
I will add axle sliders also back and front. Probably Evotech because Rizoma don't have axle sliders for MT-07.

The exhaust is annoyingly quiet but i think is better to not wake the neighbors at 5 in the morning... Maybe in the future but i think its a bad investment unless you will keep the bike for many years.
The suspension is not bad for my weight (78 kilos). I like the front. I have the back 3 clicks tighter than stock. I wont take it to the track so it will stay stock.
Don't like screens, luggage or gps mounts on my naked bike! I use a Bagster tailbag when i need to.

Last edited:

Lausie_d

10,500 on the clock since March 2015.

Mods so far:

Yamaha tail tidy
LED mini rear indicators
SC Project exhaust
ASV shortie levers
Ermax tall screen
USB port
Oxford heated grips
R&G crash bungs
R&G rad guard
R&G rear spindles
Philips headlight bulb (which seems to have a green tint to it...might change it again)
Hard guards

Up next:
Replace rear brake reservoir with tube piping
Rear pilion peg removal

Im sure it becomes an obsession!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk