Minor crash

bram-bram

So I fell with my bike. Going about 30 km/h, the road was turning and full of gravel, the front wheel completely lost any grip. The road was slightly damped on that patch and completely covered in dirt and small rocks. Perhaps it was also my mistake, perhaps I used too much front brake. I have no idea exactly what happened as it took only an instant for the bike to go down and for me to start flying.
Fortunately I didn't get any injury, just a small hit on a heel, which makes it a bit painful to step on that foot. I'm very grateful for my leather jacket and pants which protect me from both the fall and the slide. At first sight the bike didn't get much damage either. A slightly inward-bent exhaust casing, brake pedal and handlebar. Minor scratches on the plastic. I slowly and carefully rode it back home from the place. Most probably it would have been worse if I wouldn't have had crash bobbins installed. The bobbin was about 50% shorter on the side the bike fell on, so I am sure it served its purpose well.
I have no pics because my phone's battery was dead when it happened. (This will serve me as a lesson, as if it would have been more serious and in a remote place, I wouldn't have been able to call for help.)
The bike is now in the shop for evaluation, but they promised they will fix it back as new. I will get an update on the damage evaluation the following days so I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, ride safely!

DeadHead

When seeing the condition of the road did you panic a bit, wanting to slow down, hit the front brake, the tyre hit the gravel. slipped and threw you off.
I think most of us have done that before now, just got away with it, it's not always easy to think straight and say to yourself use the rear brake only.

At least you're OK and the bike sounds pretty good to. Thank heavens for leather right?! lol

CVSensei

I think it's best everyone gets these incidents 'out the way' as it were.. Obviously best not to have any, but I found after having a small spill on my old bike, going at low speeds, in a relatively safe place made me much more sensible. Much better to be put in your place in a minor way rather than seriously hurting yourself and/or others. More importantly damaging your beautiful machine!;) Glad you're okay mate and hope the repairs aren't too much!

bram-bram

Glad you're okay mate and hope the repairs aren't too much!
Thanks! The insurance company decided that it's not worth repairing my bike, but instead they offered to buy me a brand new one. The exhaust bent and scratched the swing arm and as they do not do repairs here, but replace pieces with new ones, that would have costed too much.
I got a really good deal, as I got back the 2015 pricing not the original one. I then payed the difference to upgrade to a brand new MT-09.

PS. If you want to see how a "totally damaged" bike looks like in Sweden:

IMG_20150226_170023.jpg

D

Deleted member 20

Best of luck with the 09 and drive hard but safe. I had one of those MT09's one year ago and it was a nice bike for sure.
View attachment 1668

Last edited by a moderator: