I did something a bit stupid today....

HDShark

Hi everyone, new rider and new MT-07 owner here.

I was out for a ride today trying to get the miles in before my bike goes in for the first service in a few days (still breaking it in). I was on a country road and went for an overtake in 3rd gear (I should say at this point that my Yamaha dealer told me not to worry about keeping under 5000rpm, but just to apply power smoothly and not abuse the bike). The bike was revving pretty high in 3rd, but not red lining, when my brain had a massive short circuit for some reason, making me downshift into 2nd rather than up into 4th :(. As if this wasn't stupid enough, I then panicked and downshifted again into 1st!!! At this point I instantly pulled the clutch and got back into a suitable gear. The whole thing only lasted a second or so, and I would estimate my speed in 1st being around 50mph. At no point did the rear lock up or anything like that, but the engine did give one hell of a scream as you can imagine!

The bike seems perfectly fine and got me the 60 miles home without missing a beat. Does anybody think there may be some valve damage, or damage to the gearbox? I will get the mechanics to check it over when it goes in on Monday, but just wanted to get opinions on what the outcome might be.

Aside from this, I also got smacked right on the foot by a massive steel clip that flew off a lorry at 60mph. Perhaps I should have stayed at home - and thank god I was wearing proper boots!

Cheers

Anthony

The bike will likely be perfectly fine, They have rev limiters for that :)

I know the feeling though, I went to pass someone and failed on my upshift, horrible noises, I was like crap! my gears :< but these things are built stronger than a little failed shift can break.

badger27

Don't worry about it some say the hard break in is better for the bike. But doing it once won't affect the engine.

badger27

My friend had a Bandit 1200 ride it hard from day one it never used oil and had 90k on the clock when he sold it never broke down and was quicker (so he said) than bandits that had been run in gently

Torque

^^^ What the other guys said. I wouldn't bother getting it checked by the mechanics, the bike will be fine.

If it was me I'd be relieved that steel clip smacked my boot rather than the bike. It could've badly damaged your new pride and joy, I'd rather replace a boot than parts of a new bike (or my foot).

HDShark

Cheers guys, I can sleep tonight then. Don't have kids, but imagine this is kind of what dropping your baby must feel like!

Ye feel pretty lucky with the clip - didn't contact the bike at all and only a scuffed up boot. Will be leaving a bigger gap in future!

sdrio

The reason for running an engine in is pretty much to allow everything to fit together properly - lots of castings and parts might have rough edges (even if only on a microscopic level) that need to smooth out, stuff like that. EG the piston rings have to wear themselves to the cylinder bores to create a really close fit.

And while those surfaces get to know each other, the pieces that are shaved off get into the oil. Makes it very slightly abrasive. That's why the first service is mainly about changing that oil for clean oil, and it happens relatively soon - service intervals are about 6,000 miles, the first service is only 600 or so.

So during that time, you limit the revs more or less to avoid grinding the possibly abrasive oil into new engine parts. Nowadays engineering tolerances are much tighter than they were, and most of the 'running in' is unnecessary, as the engines are very accurately cast, and fitted together very well during manufacture.

So very briefly revving the nuts off of it like that wouldn't be likely to cause any more harm than doing it after it is run in. It's not an ideal thing to do, but you haven't done any damage.

D

Deleted member 20

The bike will likely be perfectly fine, They have rev limiters for that :)
Rev limiter doesn't come into play when engine braking to over-revs. Rev limiter only works when engine is pulling the bike, not when the bike is pulling the engine. This is one of the reasons there are slipper-clutches. 50 mph in first gear is 10.000 rpm.

tw586

yamaha make engines tough so dont worry about it, honda would have snicked a valve and up for a full rebuild, I did a similar stupid thing on a vt750 years ago and spent 2 weekends droping the motor and full top end rebuild( Dam that engine had lots of cams and chains)