How much to stick your MT on the road, where you live?

KennyNorge

Bike cost without registration: 5945€
To get it registratited for road we have to pay additional 4313€ maiking it a total of about 10258€.
And then comes the road tax of 216€ every year.

All of you have it easy when it comes to on roads. :D

Last edited:

mellanslag

Where: Sweden

Cost of bike: $7083 / €6500

Road tax: $21 / €20

Insurance fully comp per year: $1419 / €1303

Petrol per litre: $1.67 / €1.54

xt660isgood2

Starting to feel privileged.. This is good.. Keep it coming ;)
Yeah, It seems the boys and girls in Norway/Aus are well shafted.
Never been to Aus but Norway a few times and everything is mega expensive, especially the beer, but the price to put an MT on the road there is just shocking!!
(Or is everything relative? and you boys and girls earn 5x more than the rest of the world?)

krispy

To get it registratited for road we have to pay additional 4313€ maiking it a total of about 10258€.

All of you have it easy when it comes to on roads. :D
Wow... that's just insane. I hope that is just a once off payment and not per annum? On the bright side you get the full powered version and the option of ABS, if that makes you feel better :rolleyes:

KennyNorge

Wow... that's just insane. I hope that is just a once off payment and not per annum? On the bright side you get the full powered version and the option of ABS, if that makes you feel better :rolleyes:
It's a one time amount :) I am very happy with that price because it is 30% cheaper than last year. New tax rules this year makes bike taxes on average 30% cheaper. Some models got 5900€ cheaper this year. It really is a bikers year in Norway :) what i evny you the most, depending on your locatin off course, are long hot summers [emoji1] [emoji1]

Noggie

Norway do have a higher average salary than most other countries, but it's not high enough to validate the insane taxes on vehicles.
Think the annual average income pr. person is about 490.000NOK (€57.000). some has a lot less, and some much more.

The base price of the MT07 is 92.000nok (€10.690), then there is a delivery cost of about €500 euro, so €11.000 you are registered an on the road plus your insurance.
From then on it is 1800nok (€208) road tax every year, plus your insurance. we have no MOT or any kind of technical inspections on motorcycles.

I added some bits to mine (akra/comfort seats/brake/clutch handles/crash protectors) so it was €12.900 on the road.

in 2016 I'm looking at €700 euros pluss fuel to keep her on the road.

mellanslag

Norway do have a higher average salary than most other countries, but it's not high enough to validate the insane taxes on vehicles.
Think the annual average income pr. person is about 490.000NOK (€57.000). some has a lot less, and some much more.

The base price of the MT07 is 92.000nok (€10.690), then there is a delivery cost of about €500 euro, so €11.000 you are registered an on the road plus your insurance.
From then on it is 1800nok (€208) road tax every year, plus your insurance. we have no MOT or any kind of technical inspections on motorcycles.

I added some bits to mine (akra/comfort seats/brake/clutch handles/crash protectors) so it was €12.900 on the road.

in 2016 I'm looking at €700 euros pluss fuel to keep her on the road.
Actually, I do think it's enough to motivate your taxes.

According to wikipedia, the average net wage in Norway is about €4451 per month. The average net wage in Sweden per month is €2551.
If the MT-07 costs €10600 in norway, thats about 2.4 times the average monthly net income. In Sweden the MT-07 costs €7081, which results in about 2.8 times the average monthly net income.
So if adjusted to your wages, I'd say that you pay about 85% of the amout that we do in Sweden.

In the UK, the average net income per month is roughly €2723, which would result in the MT-07 costing about 2.65 times the average monthly net income.

These are not super-fresh numbers, but they're about from the same time, so even though the figures may have changed slightly, I'd still say its accurate enough until someone bothers to prove me wrong.

eriks

well, by this logic in Estonia the bikes are most expencive.
Here our average income is 780 netto. So as bike is 5999 eur this means it is 7,7 montlhy salaries netto.

and in Kongo it is around 30 eur meaning it would take 200 months for a kongo man to save for MT-07 :p

mellanslag

Yeah, and I'd love to see the sales figures for the MT-07 in Congo, I bet its not near the figures for Norway or Sweden, or even Estonia :D

Noggie

Actually, I do think it's enough to motivate your taxes.

According to wikipedia, the average net wage in Norway is about €4451 per month. The average net wage in Sweden per month is €2551.
If the MT-07 costs €10600 in norway, thats about 2.4 times the average monthly net income. In Sweden the MT-07 costs €7081, which results in about 2.8 times the average monthly net income.
So if adjusted to your wages, I'd say that you pay about 85% of the amout that we do in Sweden.

In the UK, the average net income per month is roughly €2723, which would result in the MT-07 costing about 2.65 times the average monthly net income.

These are not super-fresh numbers, but they're about from the same time, so even though the figures may have changed slightly, I'd still say its accurate enough until someone bothers to prove me wrong.
In one way you are right, and given the higher salaries some tax is warranted, however, the average Norwegian car is 11 years old, that is among the oldest in europe. So I think its safe to say that the taxes are a bit too high. Everything else is also much more expensive, like food and houses so its not just the vehicles. The only thing we have roughly the same prices like in the rest of the world is electronics.

That said, if we look at how many hours the average Norwegian has to work to buy an MT, fill up the tank and pay the insurance it's probably not as bad as when you compare the amount of money it costs directly.

eriks

Yeah, and I'd love to see the sales figures for the MT-07 in Congo, I bet its not near the figures for Norway or Sweden, or even Estonia :D
what comes to Estonia then interesting fact: Yamaha Europe delivered only 4 MT-07 for my country for 2014.
MT-09 was unlimited.
In France I read that during 2014 near 5500 MT-07 was sold..

mellanslag

In one way you are right, and given the higher salaries some tax is warranted, however, the average Norwegian car is 11 years old, that is among the oldest in europe. So I think its safe to say that the taxes are a bit too high. Everything else is also much more expensive, like food and houses so its not just the vehicles. The only thing we have roughly the same prices like in the rest of the world is electronics.

That said, if we look at how many hours the average Norwegian has to work to buy an MT, fill up the tank and pay the insurance it's probably not as bad as when you compare the amount of money it costs directly.
Yeah, its not all black and white. But with tremendous wages comes high prices. I've heard that the most sold car in Norway is/was a Tesla. And even with reduced taxes, it's an expensive car. I'm not saying you have it better, but I don't think you're worse off either. When you see the pricetag of some items in Norway, it's easy to get petrified, but when you see the wages in Norway, it kinda makes sense.

That being said, we should all receive tax cuts for all the horrible snow and cold weather during the winter. Can't wait for summer.

Noggie

Yeah, its not all black and white. But with tremendous wages comes high prices. I've heard that the most sold car in Norway is/was a Tesla. And even with reduced taxes, it's an expensive car. I'm not saying you have it better, but I don't think you're worse off either. When you see the pricetag of some items in Norway, it's easy to get petrified, but when you see the wages in Norway, it kinda makes sense.

That being said, we should all receive tax cuts for all the horrible snow and cold weather during the winter. Can't wait for summer.
Yes our income is high, but so is income tax, someone with the average income that you mentioned probably pay around 40% income tax. and everything has a 25% VAT (Moms) on it.
To be honest Norwegians really can't complain, but I guess its human nature to complain about something :)

Yes the Tesla is popular, but its still expensive if you compare it to a Ford Mondeo or something a bit more normal.
Tesla sold about 6000 cars last year, so it was not among the most selling brands, but among the most selling individual model.

The thing is that the Tesla is VAT free, and import tax free. Meaning it cost exactly the same as in Sweden, Germany or in the US.
The difference is that other cars are 2-3 times as expensive as in your countries.
For you the Tesla is about the same price as a BMW M5, Audi RS, MB AMG, to us its the same price as a BMW 525d, Audi A6 3.0TDi, or a Volvo XC90.

tw586

$10,000 Dollars australian is list price on the road for the MT, our average monthly income is @4800 (Aust gov statistics) fuel is on average $1.39 per liter. full insurance for me is about $350 and rego (road tax and injury insurance which is mandatory) is $450 1 euro is $1.38 aust 1 Pound is $1.95 aust from that I think we get it a little better down here, They do call Australia the lucky country.