How much to stick your MT on the road, where you live?

xt660isgood2

After CVSensei’s recent post on UK insurance.

Just thought it would be interesting to see how much it’s costing
you to stick your MT on the road per year?

Where: England

Cost of bike: £5,200, $7,820, E: 7,212

Road tax: £80, $120, E: 110

Insurance: (fully comp x 2 bikes) £131, $197, E : 182

Petrol per litre: £1.10 $1.65 E: 1.53

Appreciate not all countries pay “road tax” like we do here in the UK.
It’s just an annual tax that just keeps creeping up and up!!

Apols if the cash conversions are wrong but they came from the www so must be correct?

da1kini

Where: Sweden

Cost of bike: £4,777.20 $7,182.20 €: 6,628.59

Road tax: dunno

Insurance: (fully comp) €: 220 per year

Petrol per litre: €:1,60 (98 octane)

KennyNorge

Where: Norway

Cost of bike: £7860 €10887

Road tax: £156 €216

Insurance: £760 €1053

Petrol per litre: £1,80 €1,63

Last edited:

Noggie

Where: Norway

Cost of bike: £7860 €10887

Road tax: £156 €216

Insurance: £361 €501 and will drop even more as my discount increases every year.

Petrol per litre: £1,80 €1,63

CVSensei

That's crazy man.. How come Noggie (above) pays only 501 euros on his?! You are both Norwegian.. Are you a notorious criminal or something? :p

Noggie

Because I am 10 years younger. If you are under 25 it's even more expensive. ��
Norway has a kind of complicated insurance system.
First of all it has 3 "levels" under the age of 24 you pay a lot, and over 30-34 (depending on the company) you are considered to be a lower risk and the price drops.

Also we have a system called Bonus, effectively a discount, if you crash you pay your agreed share (300£ - 1800£) and you lose 30% Bonus.
When you start on your first vehicle you get 20%, this increased by 10% every damage free year up to 70%, if you stay there for 5 years you get 75%, stay there for 5 years and you get a choise 80% or a "free crash" (no loss of Bonus).
If you have a vehicle with 70% or more you can get a start bonus of 50% on a new vehicle.

There is also different levels of coverage, there is the mandatory basic one that covers you (medical) and any damage you cause to others people and property, but not your bike.
Then there is one where it includes the basic, and a full cover on the bike. Meaning you get your bike fixed or a new bike if its trash.

I have two cars at 75%+4 years, so when I got my MT I started at 50%, I am also well past 30 so I'm in the "low risk" group, I also chose a share of 800£ if I crash.
There are other things that gives you further discount, i.e if you are parked in a garage and not on the street, alarm systems ect. Where you live also matters, if you live in a bad neighbourhood you pay more, and the price also varies between the different companies, and if you have many insurances in that company you get a "total coverage customer" discount.

So to put simple, Kenny is in a higher risk group than me because of his age, he may have a lower bonus level than me, he may not have a garage to park the bike in, his street may be in a higher risk area than me, and we may have different insurance companies.

We both have the full coverage, but if we did went for the basic coverage, you could probably get away with less than half of what I pay, maybe 200-250 euros

Last edited:

KennyNorge

I have open garage, 50% bonus, use the company If insurance. They had the best price for me because I have all my insurance there and that gives me a better price. My age and gender is a very high risk group on motorcyckles and are the main reason for the high price.
They think I will drive the MT fast and use it as a toy ???

Last edited:

eriks

Where: Estonia

Cost of bike: €5999

Road tax: €0

Full insurance (optional): €678

Petrol per litre: €1,1

CVSensei

You're telling me there's bad neighbourhoods in Norway?! I thought it was full of tall, blond and wealthy saints!

Haha thanks though :) Doesn't exactly encourage young drivers though! Although I can understand why that's a good thing.

Noggie

You're telling me there's bad neighbourhoods in Norway?! I thought it was full of tall, blond and wealthy saints!

Haha thanks though :) Doesn't exactly encourage young drivers though! Although I can understand why that's a good thing.
Guess everything is relative, bad, may be that there has been more theft in that street or area over a period of time.

I see it as it awards drivers who drive safe for years. yes it's expensive when you are young, but then you typically have a cheap vehicle, and not the full insurance, as you get older and get better vehicles you get a higher discount.
put your house and property insurance in the same company and you get a valued customer discount.
On my first car back in 96 I think I paid something like £400 a year, now I have 2 cars, a bike, my house and property(interior) and I pay around £2000 a year, I dread to think what it would be like without my discounts I have aquired over the years.

GuyInTheCorner

Job: Pub Landlord (Expensive category)

License: 6 months

Where: North of England

Cost of bike: £5,200,

Road tax: £80,

Insurance: £900 fully comp with expected 3k miles per year.

Nuggets

Job: Quantity Surveyor

License: 10 months ( car license 18 years, 1 "live" endorsement, 1 no fault accident in last 5 years )

Where: East of England (Cambridgeshire)

Cost of bike: £5,900

Road tax: £80

Insurance: £238 fully comp

£1.109 per litre (supermarket standard)

krispy

All of you have it easy when it comes to on roads. :D

Bike cost: $9500 €6700
Stamp Duty: $380 €270 (tax)
Road registration & CTP: $840 €595 (more tax)
Insurance (comprehensive): $1300 €920

Anything over 260cc in my state is immediately 4x as expensive, it's meant to act as a deterrent to riding bigger bikes but has the complete opposite effect. An R1 costs $22 more to rego than a CBR300 lol.