HID-Projector

jmkk

I'm still waiting for the ballast and an 8000k bulb. Probably will install the stuff next week. Anyone has any pictures yet?

This is a picture to see the size of the projector.

IMG_9667.jpg

Gaz2212

Just done all the wiring and fitted ballast this afternoon, painted the inside of the original light and shroud Matt black, going to let that hardened up properly overnight, will have it fitted tomorrow night, pictures in one go when all fitted
Jmkk, do you have a reason for the 8000k bulb, you will have less light with this than the original halogen bulb, 8000k bulb will have a real blue tint, blue light will not penetrate the dark as effectively as white light or even the yellowish light of the oe bulb. Imo maximum 5000k if you want more light, oe projectors use 4300k
I am using the Philips 85122xvC1 bulb, this rates at 4800k

jmkk

Because of the intense blue light indeed. Together with the white angel eye and the purple secondary angel eye, it'll look awesomely Tokyo-ish... Fortunately i've also got a 6000k bulb if 8000k turns out to be really bad.
I'm also blacking out the interior of the headlight, and the piece around the bulb as well..

Does your city light keeps working after the HID installation Gaz?

Gaz2212

yes side light still in place and working, the shroud I have used has a flat bottom on it to fit in line with the top of the side light, I am not using a halo ring so needed to keep the side light working

will try to get some pictures done tonight if I have time after fitting it

this is the link to the shroud I have used

E46-R - Projector Shrouds

all painted now will put it together tonight

Gaz2212

the headlight split open, to do this strip everything from your headlight then put your headlight in the oven @ 200c for about 5 minutes, this will soften the butyl mastic that holds the lens on the backing, just be steady when pulling the lens apart, once you have it apart fitting the lens is self explanatory, I decided to paint the backing and the projector shroud,

Attachments

Gaz2212

next once you have fitted the projector lens you need to put the headlight back together, to do this press the lens back together loosely then back in the oven again, 5 minutes again, once its cooked firmly press back together again, build it all back together again
some pictures fitted back to the bike

Attachments

Gaz2212

wiring is very simple, I used the quickstart ballast, this is not as easy to fit as the slimline ballast but the start up time is a lot quicker, picture shows the ballast fitted under the rear seat, I extended the wiring to the headlight with a dedicated loom, links below to the parts I used, the d2s kit is the only one that will fit in the headlight

Bi-xenon Mini Motor Kit - Projector Kits

shroud

E46-R - Projector Shrouds

wiring

AMP extension cable - Wires
AMP to D2S adapter - Wires

if you were to do this conversion you will need to contact the vendor to swap the ballast from a d2s type to an AMP type

Attachments

Gaz2212

final one, shows the beam pattern at night, believe me this is 100% better than the original, before this I had fitted a standard hid xenon kit, this was ok but this is again better, it properly focus's the light and the cut off lines from dip to main are razor sharp, also with this conversion you won't be dazzling oncoming traffic
first picture shows dipped beam, second full/main beam

Attachments

jmkk

Wow dude! Really, really nice job..!

I'm planning to install mine this weekend.

Couple of questions before I do so:
Have you used additional materials like glue or anything?
Have you used heat resistant paint?
Have you got a full view picture with the light installed?

Awesome!

Gaz2212

No additional glue used at all, standard paint but I did use plastic primer and scuffed the headlight before priming, there is very little heat generated by the projector
All the pictures I have are already posted
Thanks for the comments

spoonflames

Outstanding work. Thanks for sharing. I could do the projector part including spraying. Its wiring where I'll fall down. Im useless at it! :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

jmkk

Wiring is not that difficult! Just make the start and you'll be surprised how easy it is.. If others can do it, you can do it.

pdsavard

Very nice job!!

I just start mine on my FZ-07 with a mini D2S ver3 from The Retrofit Source.

I got some question for you:

1- Do you remove the old plastic glue and add new one? I buy a new OCI Butyl Glue to reseal the headlight, But It hard to remove the old one. I think I will put the light in the oven again et try to remove it
2- On the relector we got a notch that old the H4 Bulbs. The notch is not perpendicular to the floor but a little bit rotated to the left (10-20deg). Do you remove the pin on the D2S projector that fit in that notch to put the projector perpendicular to the ground? DO you have to cut a more "round" hole in the plastic reflector for the same reason?
3 - Do you have to ajust the projector with adjustement screw on the reflector or the aligment of the "normal" H4 bulb was already correct?

Thanks for the input.HeadLight.jpg

Gaz2212

Hi
I did not use extra butyl glue, once I had finished I just put the two halves of the light roughly in place and then reheated in the oven, pressed them firmly back together and all was sealed perfectly, checked for water ingress and there was none
The off set notch in the headlight, I just used a small file on the reflector to round the hole slightly to allow the projector fitting to align correctly
Once fitted I found that you need to adjust the headlight up slightly because the cut off line for dipped beam is so sharp the light did not shine far enough in front, this is done easily with the adjustment screws on the light unit once you are all fitted back to the bike
Good luck with your install and any other questions I will be happy to help
Gaz

pdsavard

Hey!
Thank for fast replying! I will try that.
I am waiting for Canada custom to release my package!

Have a nice day.

gregjet

Very nice job Gaz. I have a new 3element LED I have put in but still working on the bike so can't see it it is as big an improvement as the HID yet.