Front end noise

loneranger

All MT07 have slight knock on the front disc if you apply the front brake when stationary and rock the front suspension. Mine just had too much play on the left disc.

Phil_B

I tend to get a bit of chain whir peacemaker if its dry or dirty. Thats generally my cue to clean or lube it. I don't have enough experience with other bikes to know what they're like but what I hear seems normal to me.

loneranger

So my MT07 is now run in and done 1400 miles. Still have an issue with the noise from front end when reaching about 25 mph. Gargling noise , assume wind. Someone mentioned today maybe the front tyre rubber??? any thoughts on tyre quality we have as standard. Ive checked the pressure a few times and its 33psi as marked in handbook. I am fitting a rizoma screen shortly to see it makes any difference. Noise is pretty annoying and very loud. Assume everyone else has this same issue? Or is it me. Dealer said it maybe wind running under the front wheel arch
The plastic knocking sound is still there when going over differing humps/bad road/manhole covers etc. They did change my front brake disc to try and resolve, but still there though. ABS model.

I'm not sure I am getting a bit padantic or it is an actual fault with my bike?

evo1.jpgevo1.jpg

Attachments

da1kini

the clunk noise is down to the floating front brake discs (inner section) they have floating round connectors and its these that move and rub when you push hard down on the front forks with brake on. This is what Yamaha have told me and it apeears correct. He said as the bike breaks in this will cease. Can someone else try this. I thought it was coming from the front pistons.
Have the same sound, have you got it sorted?

Will145

Mine makes an occasional clunking sound at low speed over bumps etc.... Not too worried about it tbh.

sdrio

I get the front end noise, from about 40mph. I've been trying to think of how to describe it, and not coming up with anything. It's a high pitched sort of whistling.

I wondered if it was the wheel bearings, or the tyres. Maybe it is wind though.

I noticed the same noise came from a new XJ600 naked model that I test rode when I bought the MT07.

Also, I suspect what you're wearing on your head plays a part in this. I have a kind of balaclava thing I usually wear under my lid, but if I leave it off everything about the bike sounds different. I'm guessing different helmet designs also affect this - maybe mine if more open around the ears or something, so I hear it more.

Ralph

Wavey discs tend to make a noise as they lightly rub the pads when on the move,
problem on the MT is it's such a quiet bike you hear all sorts of things you would
not notice on a noisy one, have you noticed how much tyre squeal you hear on
F1 cars now they have the quieter turbo engines.

geot

I also have this clunking noise from the front over bumps..
It is not too serious but it is quite annoying for a new bike..
Has anyone find out what is causing that?

tw586

I have noticed that the BT23 tyres are noisy, a type of whirring sound like a crook wheel bearing, noise changes as you load up and unload the front wheel when cornering. Full dismantle and inspect of the front wheel hub revealed no faults. so I reassembled, must be bridgstone tyres . the clicking noise is poss hydraulic valve noise as mine is different after installing adjustable preloaders for the front

geot

I was listening the noise coming from the top of the front, and i was thinking that might be something not tighten well..
But you may have a point here with the preloaders..
Is there a way to stop the noise without changing the fork bolts?