Front Brake Binding

Gaz2212

Hi Guys, has anyone experienced the front brake binding quite badly, didn't notice before but now the wheels are painted the brake dust is covering them, if I put the bike on the front stand and spin the wheel the brake is binding up quite bad

da1kini

Hi Guys, has anyone experienced the front brake binding quite badly, didn't notice before but now the wheels are painted the brake dust is covering them, if I put the bike on the front stand and spin the wheel the brake is binding up quite bad

What do you mean by binding?

TJ63

Binding means that the brakes are staying on slightly when the lever is released.

Yamaha brakes usually do this at the first whiff of winter road salt. My previous two were terrible for it.

The only solution is to wash the brakes off with cold water after every ride. I used a pump-up plant sprayer on my old Fazer.

Once they've started to bind, you'll have to take the callipers off and clean the pistons up, then smear the exposed part of the pistons with some silicone grease.

Ralph

Though I have not done it on my 07 I often push the pads back
in the callipers then remember to pump them back to keep them from
seizing do it now and then and they never bind as it keeps them
moving, but do remember to pump them back or no brakes first
time you use them.

Gaz2212

i did this Ralph, gently pushed and pulled on the disc to push the pad back whilst the bike was stood in the garage, i took my bike out to take it to Maxton couple of weeks back, got to the end of my street, panic on no brakes, pumped it back up all ok but then real bad binding

nobull

Do you have stock or uprated pads? Certain race pads 'bind' quite a lot normally, I presume because their coefficient of friction is significantly higher. I noticed it with most race/track pads whether carbon or sintered when I was racing, never had a problem with stock pads including r6 on road unless i'd recently changed them (bind more prior to bedding in). Never caused any warping even when they were hard to push around paddock

Gaz2212

yes nobull, i have fitted brembo sa sintered pads and braided hoses, maybe worth a try with stock pads just to see if it cures the problem, thanks for the advice

Last edited:

balki

had the front stuck on when ive come to take it out for a ride(i push it back outta the garage) usually breaks free once it starts rolling (ie not binding exactly)
have made a point of not touching the brakes when parking up for the day, to see if im turning it off before it can release the pressure, but still occasionally it is stuck on the next time out (but not every time ?) i have the abs version (same as you if i remember your previous post correctly )
dont remember it happening before the salters attaced the roads so TJ63 may be on the money.

DJP

Salt causes my front pads to stick, momentarily, to the disks after it's been standing, but as soon as I move the bike they free off.

The rear's been more of an issue for me: It's been making some weird noises for the past week. I stripped it today, cleaned the piston and applied copper grease to the back of the pads. So far, so good.

Mind you, I had the exact same rear caliper on my last bike and it was a constant PITA. This one seems better.