ECU part number

tw586

I am interested in knowing if the ECU is the same for Australian restricted compared to the unrestricted
the ecu is located in the RH air cowl under the painted tank area
1WS - 8591A - 30
if any one can look to see if the number is the same, I am researching how yamaha is restricting the bike down to 50BHP for australia

D

Deleted member 20

To my knowlege (I might be wrong) this is the ECU part numbers for 2014 MT-07 (UK versions), both restricted and unrestricted.
Non-ABS: 1WS-8591A-00
ABS: 1XB-8591A-00
From this info I can't draw the conclusion that the restriction is sitting in the ECU, but I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzor

Unhelpful question;

Why are Ozzy bikes being restricted as default?

All that space to ride in, seems like a waste.

When I was there for 6 months in 2001 I did see lots of stuff on the news about fatal accidents and got the feeling a lot of politics was looming if the problem continued.

tw586

in aussie the MT07 has been modified by Yamaha as a learner and restricted licence bike as it is the fastest market, we have had a resurgence of bike ownership and a 25% rise in new licensed riders since 2010, the bike here has been marketed as a learner or older riders returning to two wheels and our insurance and registration cost for this class are about 50% than bikes over 700cc , they sell like hot cakes as they dead easy to ride and heaps of fun. Me as an older rider want to de restrict it to unleash its full potential. Yamaha has made it clear that the MT09 is for more experienced full licence riders and wont bring the un restricted version od the 07 into the country as it will take sales away from the 09.
so far i have worked out the following
1. 2mm bore reduction to 655cc
2. rpm limited to 8200 in 5th and 6th
3. intake air inlet reducer
4. throttle valve angle limited to @50 degrees
5. suspected different ecu for timing and fuel maps.

dazzor

Thanks for the detailed answer, TW, much appreciated.

Well it's a shame the 07 is being suppressed out there for sure. Still, if I was there and not needing to negotiate the heaviest of traffic in places like Sydney I think I'd be onto the MT09.

Sod the extra cost, you only live once.....maybe not as long on an 09 though :(

Second thoughts, stick with an 07:)

All the best

Darren

roamin

in aussie the MT07 has been modified by Yamaha as a learner and restricted licence bike as it is the fastest market, we have had a resurgence of bike ownership and a 25% rise in new licensed riders since 2010, the bike here has been marketed as a learner or older riders returning to two wheels and our insurance and registration cost for this class are about 50% than bikes over 700cc , they sell like hot cakes as they dead easy to ride and heaps of fun. Me as an older rider want to de restrict it to unleash its full potential. Yamaha has made it clear that the MT09 is for more experienced full licence riders and wont bring the un restricted version od the 07 into the country as it will take sales away from the 09.
so far i have worked out the following
1. 2mm bore reduction to 655cc
2. rpm limited to 8200 in 5th and 6th
3. intake air inlet reducer
4. throttle valve angle limited to @50 degrees
5. suspected different ecu for timing and fuel maps.
hey there tw586, have you had any luck with removing the restrictions? wandering if someone can remap the ecu on a dyno to remove the rpm limit, throttle limit, rev limit and so on.

looking at getting one of these in australia pretty soon, love the look of them, but considering lams is for 3 years now i would like a legal bike, currently riding a yzf600 and its quicker than the mt07's, so going from a fast bike to a slower restricted one it would be nice to see if i can remove some of these restrictions in some way.

tw586

hey there tw586, have you had any luck with removing the restrictions? wandering if someone can remap the ecu on a dyno to remove the rpm limit, throttle limit, rev limit and so on.

looking at getting one of these in australia pretty soon, love the look of them, but considering lams is for 3 years now i would like a legal bike, currently riding a yzf600 and its quicker than the mt07's, so going from a fast bike to a slower restricted one it would be nice to see if i can remove some of these restrictions in some way.
I have found the bike to be well suited to my needs, as i am small in size the bike fits me well. I have removed the inlet air restriction and replaced the tailpipe outlet and de baffeled the std muffler. I am happy with the power output up to about 140k but I love the torque through the mid range. I have found up shifting a 7000 and staying in the meaty part of the torque curve the most fun. Im down to around 4.5 sec to 100k and as i use the bike to commute 70k per day through traffic, i dont want for any more power, My fuel economy run around 3.8 to 4.0 L/100k so all good. in the future i will most likely fit an Akropovic system but thats about it.

roamin

I have removed the inlet air restriction and replaced the tailpipe outlet and de baffeled the std muffler. I am happy with the power output up to about 140k but I love the torque through the mid range.

did you actually notice any difference when you did these mods to your bike? they sound like a fun bike to own, really looking forward to getting one! ;)

tw586

sounds better and has a slight (just noticeable) increase in mid range torque but a definite improvement in top around 130k so Im happy