Crashes

Ralph

Been out on a demo bike today and I can see how you could be caught out
by the throttle response after riding round on a 125, I know it's no consolation
but it does pull like a train from very low revs, it pulls harder than the SV, Versys,
and Vstrom and from lower revs.

dazzor

Gutted for you.... Still, you're ok and nobody else was hurt.

If we let it, an off, in my opinion can make you better.

I've had a few.... Maybe this one will make you feel better....

I was about 26, so about 15 years ago now. I was on my brand new ZX6R. Thought I was the dogs dangly bits, I was in fact a silly young sausage....anyway...

I liked wheelies but was and still am rubbish at them (don't do them now, honest) so I started doing stoppies. So one evening, at a set of lights about turn red, I banged on the front anchor a bit too hard and sent the back skyward. The best bit was that while trying recover I made it worse and ended up underneath the bike.

A bloke at the lights got out his Golf GTI, full of lovely young ladies, laughing their arses off and helped me out from under the bike whilst trying not laugh.

That was my last stoppie :(

Ralph

Some time back one bloke was showing us how it was done, he did a enormous
great wheel'y followed by a equally big stop'ie, just before he came to a dead stop
there was a big bang followed by a tinkling sound as one of the con rods it's bearings
starved of oil by the steep angle gave up the unequal struggle and made a break for
freedom through the front of the engine, it was a Bandit but some years of SV could
do the same.

hansolo_uk

sry to hear that's been my worry the ease of wheeling (plus the fact cops take dim view of it) as I ride a cruiser (im surprised someone with more experience hasn't commented with tips for controlling/stopping a wheelie) im not 100% but I think the response to a wheelie is decelerate or touch of back brake, could even dip clutch

sdrio

sry to hear that's been my worry the ease of wheeling (plus the fact cops take dim view of it) as I ride a cruiser (im surprised someone with more experience hasn't commented with tips for controlling/stopping a wheelie) im not 100% but I think the response to a wheelie is decelerate or touch of back brake, could even dip clutch
Stoppie is easy enough, just let the brake go - that's assuming you have space, but if you haven't, you've made a bit of a mess of things, haven't you?

Intentional wheelies are also easy enough to control. You should have your foot over the back brake anyway, and you can also ease off on the throttle. I say ease off, as just letting it go can bring you down with a thump, and risks damage.

An unintentional wheelie is a problem. Physics say that you're going to be pulled backwards, which means you'll tend to open the throttle wider, because you'll be hanging on to it.

The solution is not to get yourself in that situation. Everyone reading this thread who hasn't got used to the power delivery of the MT07 (or any other bigger bike) should take note - the thing is very torquey, go easy on the throttle till you're really used to it.

No offence to the OP in this thread, but he did make a mistake. I can assure you the MT07 is perfectly controlable, even if you're going beserk. It's not what the bike is doing, it's whether you're expecting it.

Just be careful, you'll be absolutely fine. If you're concerned, I'd say (notwithstanding any running in) limit yourself to 4 - 5,000 rpm for the first 100 miles, easy on the throttle. Once you've done that, you'll be more used to it and can experiment a bit.

Jon

I think you're right hansolo. And I have never wheelied on purpose (yet..:cool:.) ...but if you're not ready for it/experienced and therefore very careful, I suspect its easy to panic or open the throttle even more as you hang on/slide back, making matters worse. If you are ready for it, ready to take your weight on your feet/grip the tank hard and concentrating on sensitive throttle inputs it should be easy to roll off a fraction to bring the front down.

loneranger

I passed my test in jan this year and have no probs riding my new mt07. Super throttle and cant see what the fuss is about. MT09 I can understand because that bike is snatchy.

badger27

the first time i filtered to the front of the lights near where i live (dual carriage way) i was sandwiched between two posh BMW's so i figured best be sharpish off the lights to this point i'd never open the throttle fully . ( you know where this is gong chuckles) so the lights change and wow off she went fornt wheel at 45 degrees .i didn't panic much to my surprise i backed off the throttle 15% let the wheel touch down changed up and went again mega grin on my face in to 3rd and gone. and then at the speed limit approached eased off (bm's nowhere in sight) that was the first time i wheelied anything, all i can say is from then on i get my back side up to the rear seat as i felt like an Ewok on a speeder. scared the chit from me when i thought about what i did, but it was funny as hell to think of MR BMW behind me think wow that went well little bike . take care with the throttle coming from a 125 scooter to the mt -07 is a big step but a fun one

jeppebm

My littlebrother of 21 - crashed a Kawasaki ninja 250 when he was just turned 20 and hat his own Suzuki GSXR 250.
Asked him to give a reply to you - Here goes from littlebrother Anders:

"The best thing to do is get out riding again as soon as possible, at first on some familiar roads, then slowly "progress" onto some more curvy and maybe new roads. Its all about getting your confidence back, but in a secure way! Some might say - just get out there and fight your boundaries! But if you go and do that, and maybe crash again, that just might knock the riding-enthusiasm RIGHT out of you! For some it takes just a few rides, for others it takes quite a while. For me i think it took 2 months before i actually fully enjoyed riding again.. But get out there right away, be as cautious as you say you are, go easy on the throttle and get to know the clutch AND bike better "

Nuggets

Sorry to hear that buddy hope you came out unscathed, the bike can be repaired to look like new but you can't, so if you walked away unhurt then that's a big positive to take from the experience.

I went from a 125 straight to my mt-07, first ride ever on the mt was taking it off the dealership forecourt. I'm sure some will agree and others not but I find I can pop the front wheel up in first and second without too much effort, the front will go light when accelerating hard, a bit of heavy handed clutch pops the front up . First time I did this with less than 30miles on it, a bit of a shock but managed to roll off to control it, pull in and compose myself and work out what the hell I had just done.

I consciously decided then to find a back (private-ahem) road and try and pop a few wheelies, nothing amazing, but enough to get the front wheel up off the Tarmac a little bit (we are talking inches ere), even for a second. For me it was worthwhile doing to get the experience and sensations of a floaty/lifting front end and how to bring it back under control and get a feel for the bike and the rider inputs needed to pop a wheelie.

Everyone is different, confidence is a fragile thing which is hard gained and easily lost. Get back on a bike and even get back to basics if you must, set yourself a riding target each time you go out, progressively raise the bar, remind yourself where you started and how far you have come and most importantly believe in yourself. If every time you ride with the fear of history repeating itself chances are it will, set small challenges with each ride and with each small success your confidence will start to restore.

Keep us posted on how you are doing, I don't believe there is one person here who doesn't want you to get back on your bike and plenty willing to offer support, encouragement and advice to help you along the way.

Last edited:

Nuggets

I passed my test in jan this year and have no probs riding my new mt07. Super throttle and cant see what the fuss is about. MT09 I can understand because that bike is snatchy.
Dealership let me have an MT-09 loaner today as my MT-07was in for it's 1st service. My god that throttle is awful (in all modes), I was glad to get the '7 back.

N1VEN

Josh,

I went into Probike this weekend and heard the story of the MT-07 that came into the workshop with 6 miles on the clock. Sorry to hear that it was you!

I'm based in Newbury and am picking up the MT-07 from Preston on 1st September - so was keen to hear about riding experiences before making the 200 mile trip!

If you fancy a ride when you get yours back, let me know!

Simon

blueglue

Josh,

I went into Probike this weekend and heard the story of the MT-07 that came into the workshop with 6 miles on the clock. Sorry to hear that it was you!

I'm based in Newbury and am picking up the MT-07 from Preston on 1st September - so was keen to hear about riding experiences before making the 200 mile trip!

If you fancy a ride when you get yours back, let me know!

Simon
did they mention anything about the OP? he hasnt been on here since May.

Gaulois

For those who do not want to be faced with wheelies, the front sprocket could be change by adding one tooth. It will make the MT-07/FZ-07 a lot tamer, a bit better in gas and better suited for highway speed (lower RPM).

Mushymi5

I've noticed the more the MT gets broken in, the more it wants to wheelie every where! I was riding the other night and came around a fast left hand bend, coming out, full throttle over a small bridge, hit the mid point and the front wheel shot well in the air in third, not a pleasant experience, with the soft suppression setup. full revs with a quick release of the clutch will have it up in third also.

Hear the 09 is horrendous for the front end coming up loads.