Crashes

josh.e.knight

So, it looks like we're yet to have a thread talking about the thing none of us want to have happen or hear about... Maybe because I'm going to be the first one to be stupid enough to have to post this!

So - first crash today on my brand new MT07 ABS. I've been riding around on a Yamaha Custom 125 for a little while, feel very comfortable and happy on that. Learnt through my MOD 1 and MOD 2 on a Suzuki Gladius (SFV650), nice and happy and confident on that too. I'm a relatively cautious driver and rider (the kind who hits 71 on the motorway and thinks "Woohoo, I'm a criminal.. seventy ONE!") - always nice and steady and smooth.

Rolled out of the dealers, following a friend back home (them in a car) through some unfamiliar roads around Swindon. From first sitting on the bike, I fell in love with it - so comfortable, smooth, easy to ride... just such an absolutely lovely bike. About ten minutes later, I was navigating across the roundabout that forms Junction 15 of the M4, nice slow speed (lots of traffic so must have been doing around 5mph).

Things started to clear up, so shifted up to 2nd gear, and so very slightly let the clutch out a little too quickly. Before I knew it, the front end of the bike was in the air. Never having had to deal with an unintended Wheelie, I panicked and must have grabbed the throttle a little bit - and the bike literally flips out from under me.

Emergency Recovery (eventually) got there, discovered it was leaking coolant from the radiator and the manifold leading in to the engine, the clutch cover had been cracked, the brake pedal and foot peg on the right side were bent, the exhaust is dented, and the entire rear (both the arm for the numberplate and the plastic fairing under the seat) was totally wrecked.

Finally got it home, getting in touch with the guys to see how long it will be to fix it... but just utterly gutted. The thing that just really killed me was just before switching off the engine when it first happened, I glanced down and looked at the instrument panel.

6 miles on the clock. SIX... and I've already wiped out.

I have to admit, it's really hit my confidence quite a bit - thankfully it's being repaired in my home town of Newbury so once it's done it's all familiar roads and quite quiet and slow paced to get it home... but nevertheless, any tips on how to overcome the knock in confidence after something like that would be greatly appreciated.

(Dear god, I feel like an idiot!)

Petemlaw

Feel for you josh..waiting for my mt to come...passed me test couple yrs ago..fell in love with sprint st 1050..
Bought it for my 40th...went 3 miles from dealers home...dropped it on the drive..took it out a month after and nearly dropped it...went away for early winter.
Took it out for mot with 30 miles in a year....dropped it on the drive again!,,
Went to dealers for mot with broken lights and fairing....threw the keys at them...went out for a 2 hour long testie and grin was back on my face....
So you ain't the bluntest knife in the drawer!,,
Get back on when you get it back and enjoy..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

akyros

i havent received mine yet
the one i tested was very soft and easy,didnt feel that the wheel was ready to come off any time
does it wheelie so easy?

Will145

Gutted for you mate. The best advice is to get back on as soon as possible. The longer you put it off the worse that lack of confidence will get. I'm surprised at how you crashed it though, I though you were gonna say you high or low sided it on the new tyres!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will145

i havent received mine yet
the one i tested was very soft and easy,didnt feel that the wheel was ready to come off any time
does it wheelie so easy?
It's very very light - most of the reviews I watched they commented on how easy it was to get the front wheel up

akyros

its not me im worried about,i had many big bikes in the past and some big 2strokes too,others will be riding the bike that im worried about

does the wheel come off in normal or slightly more aggresive handling?(didnt in my case)

Will145

I haven't had the wheel come up yet and that's with 450 miles on the clock.

Ralph

Very sorry to hear that,
most likely due to coming from a 125 with about 12 bhp
to something weighing about the same with 74 bhp
I know people think that 70 odd bhp is nothing these
days but it is a big jump, lets be honest it as more
power than many small cars, best thing now is get back on,
but treat the throttle with great respect till you get used to it.

Rouqui

hope the only injury was to your pride! Here, odo 593km, rubber hasn't left the asphalt although both front and back Abs have kicked in a couple of times. Chasing mate on K1300S, the MT felt very light on fast bumpy bends, well I suppose it is very light.

sdrio

Yeah, that's bad news.

I wouldn't worry about riding it again though, there's nothing inherently wrong with the bike. Here's my two cents;

I've been riding bikes of all sizes for 30 years, and I had a very similar experience test riding the MT07. I did a 6 month stint on a 125 scooter, after my old 660 got stolen. I decided to get something bigger, and tested an MT07, amongst others.

Having got used to the 125, where you just crack the throttle open all the time, I found the first time I opened up the MT07, it almost shoved me off the back. I was really very surprised. Knowing that, I was more careful when I picked mine up. Took it gently, and got used to it. Now, after about 500 miles, I am used to it, and have no problems whatsoever with the power delivery, as I know what's about to happen.

So, relax about the bike. Take it gently and you will become completely confident with it. It's not going to just do that every time you open the throttle.

Anthony

Hope you are okay.

On my 125's I have owned, I used the throttle like a switch, its either off or on at full, not much in between till you are cursing.
Bigger bikes need a lot more control. I am scared of full throttle in 1st to 3rd, you don't need much as the gearing is short and the front is very eager to lift.

I have now done 2k miles on my MT, had a few front wheel moments but it quickly came back down.

D

Deleted member 20

I too think handling the MT-07 is easy, throttle and power delivery is very smooth and controllable. Never had any "problem" with front wheel lifting. I am quite experieced rider, my wife isn't, she loves the way the MT drives and handles. She is very glad I swapped her 2011 XJ6-N ABS for a 2014 MT-07 ABS. She is much more confident riding the MT, and she thinks it's a lot more fun. Lightness is key, also a more effective motor with less moving parts make the bike more eager to move. Fuel consumption is also a fair bit lower.

Dede

So, it looks like we're yet to have a thread talking about the thing none of us want to have happen or hear about... Maybe because I'm going to be the first one to be stupid enough to have to post this!

So - first crash today on my brand new MT07 ABS.
(Dear god, I feel like an idiot!)
Josh, don`t feel bad (or stupid)! Seems the bike can bite back...
Thank you for the warning about how powerful the bike can be!

Phil_B

Josh. Sorry to hear that mate. It's what we all dread I'm sure!

I hope you weren't hurt, and can feel a bit better that you've probably got the most gutting and upsetting part of your ownership out of the way. I'm sure I'll be mad as hell when I drop mine.

It does sound a bit like coming from the 125 has made your right hand a bit heavy. I've had the front go light, but I was trying to accelerate pretty fast through 1st and 2nd to see "what happened round that bit of the throttle".

Thanks for sharing as a hard earned wise word for the rest of us.

Chin up, and keep riding I say. You've got an extra lesson in the experience bank.

Mike.h

Sorry to hear about your accident mate however im a little confused as to how letting the clutch out too quickly while shifting UP would send the front wheel 12 o'clock?

Jon

You're not alone Josh! Years ago, when collecting my FS1E "sixteener special" from the dealer, (with my petrified "he's going to kill himself" mother following me in her car), I lowsided it on the very first little roundabout I came to. Luckily for me, not much damage except to my pride. Years later I learned about scrubbing in new tyres and the releasing agent they used to use!. But no excuses at the time...

I agree with sdrio...on a 125 you get used to just cracking the throttle open all the time - or at least there's no need to be respectful of it!. As we know from the reviews, do this in 1st or 2nd (and maybe 3rd with a bit of clutch) on the MT and the wheel will come up. Also, most of us are being very careful with the revs when the bike is very new so being extra careful with the throttle. So far I've not done it, but as I an nearing 600mls I'm pushing it more and I have noticed the front getting light.

Get right back on ASAP and just take your time exploring the throttle response.

josh.e.knight

Yeah, that's bad news.

I wouldn't worry about riding it again though, there's nothing inherently wrong with the bike. Here's my two cents;

I've been riding bikes of all sizes for 30 years, and I had a very similar experience test riding the MT07. I did a 6 month stint on a 125 scooter, after my old 660 got stolen. I decided to get something bigger, and tested an MT07, amongst others.

Having got used to the 125, where you just crack the throttle open all the time, I found the first time I opened up the MT07, it almost shoved me off the back. I was really very surprised. Knowing that, I was more careful when I picked mine up. Took it gently, and got used to it. Now, after about 500 miles, I am used to it, and have no problems whatsoever with the power delivery, as I know what's about to happen.

So, relax about the bike. Take it gently and you will become completely confident with it. It's not going to just do that every time you open the throttle.
Thanks everyone - that's great advice. I have to admit, the only thing hurting is my pride really - well, that and a bruised rear! ;)

I think it's very much just the case of having been used to something so less powerful, and still being quite a beginner rider; but this being said, the few miles I had it upright it was an absolute dream to ride. (Which I guess made the fall even more embarrassing / irritating!)

Still though - just have to wait for the quote for the insurance company now! Now we get to see how much replacement parts are for the bike, I guess!

Anthony

Use the throttle thinking that there is 100 different positions you can have it in, Each one asks more of the engine, and if you ask for too high a number to quickly the engine will try and give you that and kick you off.
There is no fly by wire throttle, or traction control so the bike can not object to what you ask it to and offer less power to prevent wheelies or loss of traction.

Ride safe.